• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, kav said:
33 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Or maybe my motive wasn't to convince anyone of anything and I was just sharing a memory just as others were sharing memories. (shrug)

I know I'm not going to change the mind of people who have their minds made up but that doesn't change the fact that I have memories just as others do.

I'm not taking a side here but if people have been upset for so long wouldnt it be wise to just ask them how much they feel they should be reimbursed and do that? 

People are not upset because they were not reimbursed.

People are upset because they are saying that I didn't help cover the tab on a bill over a decade ago and that I just made it up even though me, my wife and select few others knew I that this was exactly how it went down.

And they are maintaining that it's a lie because it's what they choose to believe.

And yet anybody who has EVER known me personally with more than just a superficial passing would never accuse me of making such a thing up but on the internet there are no rules.

And so hear we are.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

most color touch fails the "light" test to my eyes. When I hold the book and allow the natural light to go over the entire surface any color touch tends to change what should be an even sheen

No CT will ever reflect light in a way that matches the original cover inks.

1 hour ago, Transplant said:

Why don’t you tell us again, who all was there at the end of the night when you and Nik supposedly had to spot several hundred dollars of other boardies’ bill for booze, etc.? I’d love their take on that claim. 

How about the collector, never leaving my personal collection, drop ship? 

What about the bindery chip? 

I was there. I don’t remember it that way, as I implicitly remember giving Nik extra money to help defray costs. 

1 minute ago, comicwiz said:

No CT will ever reflect light in a way that matches the original cover inks.

Crayon is very hard to detect, in the sense it can be polished into the cover, making any areas of transition almost seamless in gloss. 

You need very high magnification or heat. I see it all the time when pressing books where some color will transfer to the release paper. 80% of the time that happens it is crayon. 

1 hour ago, greggy said:

All I know is that I wouldn't be telling people who weren't there over 10 years after the fact to try to convince them that I did.  I doubt that the wouldn't GAF about what I would have to say.  Yet, you keep repeating it years after the fact ad nauseam

I think this thread is starting to give me some of that nauseum.

14 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Never heard of crayon being used.   Thanks for sharing.(thumbsu

it wasn't counted as "restoration" but you spoke earlier about taking crayon off.... here are some before and after pics after @joeypost helped out :foryou: 

20180719_101834.thumb.jpg.4483a64ed63231

20180719_101939.thumb.jpg.e5394c9d605751

20181201_150948.jpg.70cee2966fdc41240216

7 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I was there. I don’t remember it that way, as I implicitly remember giving Nik extra money to help defray costs. 

So you are in fact saying that the bill was short if you have to give extra money?

Because this is the first time I've ever heard anyone corroborate that part of the story.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

it wasn't counted as "restoration" but you spoke earlier about taking crayon off.... here are some before and after pics after @joeypost helped out :foryou: 

20180719_101834.thumb.jpg.4483a64ed63231

20180719_101939.thumb.jpg.e5394c9d605751

20181201_150948.jpg.70cee2966fdc41240216

whats the deal here someone used white crayon to cover grime then it turned yellow then Joey removed it?  also why wasnt it in purple label if someone colored it?

10 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Crayon is very hard to detect, in the sense it can be polished into the cover, making any areas of transition almost seamless in gloss. 

You need very high magnification or heat. I see it all the time when pressing books where some color will transfer to the release paper. 80% of the time that happens it is crayon. 

another form is sprayable fixative. Sprayed over the color touch in an even coating it creates an "all over consistent sheen" which can hide other forms of color touch done underneathe it (like crayon). Fixatives typically dont like heat though. Although some dont react to the heat unless it is prolonged. 

Holding a properly done spray is difficult to detect, otherwise the not so good ones have a texture that can be felt and makes the cover stock feel thicker.

Edited by Artboy99

1 minute ago, kav said:

whats the deal here someone used white crayon to cover grime then it turned yellow then Joey removed it?  also why wasnt it in purple label if someone colored it?

No color touch as it wasnt "hiding flaws".... someone just took a crayon to the white space

40 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Never heard of crayon being used.   Thanks for sharing.(thumbsu

Crayola mostly. Not often seen on comics, card mechanic 1, 3, and 7 (going by my numbering system of card mechanics) whose handiwork has successfully made it past the card grading services, use them to fill in white areas on corners mostly, but colors on the portraiture as well, though not as frequently. #1 is real good at that, the others, when attempted, not so much. Which is why my response to the original post comparing CGC and this hobby to the card grading services and that hobby, pointed out that any comparisons are drastically unfair.

Edited by James J Johnson

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@kav the white part wasn't the crayon, it's the part where you see colors that the crayon is found :makepoint:

Thats why I said turned yellow :makepoint:

20 minutes ago, joeypost said:

That book went on one wild ride. 

In my opinion the before is about 1.5 grades worse than the after why did it get a measly 0.5 bump?