• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

CGC took the stance that pressing wasn’t resto because they needed to use pressing to fix the books their holder was damaging.  This was originally done in secret, not only because pressing was considered restoration, but because CGC didn’t want consumers to know that their holders were causing SCS. The undetectable angle came when it was revealed that Chris Friesen was secretly pressing books in-house, and CGC had to address the issue to the public.

You are making assumptions based on I don't know what. How do you know what their reasons were? Were you in the meeting room when the decision was made? Did you hear a recording of that meeting? It really doesn't matter what their rationale was to be honest. They made the decision, it has been public knowledge for many years and as far as I know CGC employees aren't running around the country holding people's kids hostage so that they submit books to them. CGC does not set the market for graded books, we do. CGC does not force their opinion on people, we allow it to be because we continue to do business with them. Us, the consumers of the product are ultimately responsible for whether or not CGC attempts to discern and label pressing.

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It is what it is now, but I’m curious how it would have all played out if their holder was defective, and actually preserved   the comics once encapsulated.

IDK. Why don't you ask CBCS? Apparently their holder is immune to SCS but they still don't look for and label pressing and have an in-house pressing service as well.

6 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It is what it is now, but I’m curious how it would have all played out if their holder was defective, and actually preserved   the comics once encapsulated.

I know that you have a really big problem with SCS (you even coined the term) but Borock has even come on here (back in the day) and encouraged people to build a better holder and that CGC would buy the idea if it worked.

The problem is that for encapsulation to work, you need a holder.

And comics being what they are (fragile, 3 dimensional objects) there is only so much you can do to prevent them from getting damaged.

As with my law analogy, the holder protects books from most situations but nothing is going to prevent books from being damaged in extreme conditions (and let's face it, shipping books can put them through extreme conditions).

Some get damaged but MOST make it safely.

The other option is no certification.

Which one is better over all? (shrug)

Edited by VintageComics

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

I know that you have a really big problem with SCS (you even coined the term) but Borock has even come on here (back in the day) and encouraged people to build a better holder and that CGC would buy the idea if it worked.

The problem is that for encapsulation to work, you need a holder.

And comics being what they are (fragile, 3 dimensional objects) there is only so much you can do to prevent them from getting damaged.

As with my law analogy, the holder protects books from most situations but nothing is going to prevent books from being damaged in extreme conditions (and let's face it, shipping books can put them through extreme conditions).

Some get damaged but MOST make it safely.

The whole point of encapsulation was to preserve the grade once encapsulated.:makepoint:

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The whole point of encapsulation was to preserve the grade once encapsulated.:makepoint:

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The other option is no certification.

Which one is better over all? (shrug)

I edited.

But i think my question answers yours.

It’s obviously too late to put the genie back in the bottle.  

As I said, it is what it is.  

In the absence of pressing, CGC would have failed.  Without a “fix”, there’s no way collectors/dealers would have kept on submitting books with the risk of post-slabbing damage.

I’m not sure what’s going to happen as more and more books suffer from unfixable staple tears though.

Maybe a new non-restorative tear-seal :idea:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

13 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

In the absence of pressing, CGC would have failed.  Without a “fix”, there’s no way collectors/dealers would have kept on submitting books with the risk of post-slabbing damage.

I’m not sure what’s going to happen as more and more books suffer from unfixable staple tears though.

Maybe a new non-restorative tear-seal :idea:

This thread is an interesting case study in human personality.

You believe CGC would have failed if a small percentage of books had SCS and there was no pressing? I say it's a ridiculous statement.

They might be less profitable and have less submissions but the market forces that were waiting for an encapsulation company in the hobby are far stronger than a small percentage of people who may have SCS books.

And it is a small percentage. I get 1000's of books slabbed every year and don't remember the last time I saw SCS on a book myself.

So the extremist views that some people take make having a proper discussion very difficult.

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Only time will tell.....:popcorn:

Nothing. Nothing will happen. Unfixable staple tears have been happening for almost 20 years now. SCS sucks but it does happen. I don't know why you think something magical will happen going forward that hasn't already happened given we've had 20 years of books with SCS. 

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

This thread is an interesting case study in human personality.

You believe CGC would have failed if a small percentage of books had SCS and there was no pressing? I say it's a ridiculous statement.

They might be less profitable and have less submissions but the market forces that were waiting for an encapsulation company in the hobby are far stronger than a small percentage of people who may have SCS books.

And it is a small percentage. I get 1000's of books slabbed every year and don't remember the last time I saw SCS on a book myself.

So the extremist views that some people take make having a proper discussion very difficult.

There were tons of examples of SCS in the first Gen holders.   Are you telling me you would have submitted your minty books if there was a risk of your 9.8 dropping to a 9.0 with no fix?

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

There were tons of examples of SCS in the first Gen holders.   Are you telling me you would have submitted your minty books if there was a risk of your 9.8 dropping to a 9.0 with no fix?

I don't know how I would have felt, but I've been subbing since 2003 or so and never had either a problem with SCS or had to send one back to get fixed that I can recall.

So it can't be that common.

Yes, on the internet it can be common because we put everything under a magnifying glass but with 5 MIL books graded, the percentage is still small.

So the thought of certification folding over SCS without pressing just doesn't ring true to me.

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Didnt we all do this topic to death back in 2010?  I am at the point now I think its weird when people don't press a book before grading. :ohnoez:

I press a book twice before I press it twice and then i press it twice more.

47 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

IDK. Why don't you ask CBCS? Apparently their holder is immune to SCS but they still don't look for and label pressing and have an in-house pressing service as well.

Such a silly retort.  When did CBCS open its doors again? And who is their president?