• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

All you do is ride me and I've never done anything to you.

You disappeared for a while but now you're back.

Go yourself.

Yeah you've never done anything to me because I knew better than to deal with you.

But you did mess over other people here on the boards.

Memories are long, some know better than to buy into your sob stories of "on noes, there are secret we hate ******* PM chats  going on about me".

On 7/25/2019 at 2:37 PM, VintageComics said:
On 7/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, kimik said:

Last year at the Calgary Expo there was a BC based seller that had a bunch of nice GA books that he was not disclosing resto on (the light color touch with a crayon was tough to spot unless you know what to look for). Supposedly he claimed that he was unaware of it, but when all of the books that I saw were restored, it was evident that he either did it himself or bought them restored. Regardless, there was a feeding frenzy for the books as most of the people that purchased them were unaware and paid full unrestored value. doh!

So, what you're saying is that certification works and that all of the books should have been graded.

Not directly, but it would definitely have helped with the resto detection (and that is the reason the seller did not grade them). I was responding to Comicwiz's observation re: undisclosed restoration being common and most people not knowing how to spot it. We detected the weird spots when some of the books came to our booth, and with Joe we were able to verify what the seller/whoever he got the books from was using crayon. They actually did a good enough job that it was hard to pick up unless you looked carefully for it. 

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

Not directly, but it would definitely have helped with the resto detection (and that is the reason the seller did not grade them). I was responding to Comicwiz's observation re: undisclosed restoration being common and most people not knowing how to spot it. We detected the weird spots when some of the books came to our booth, and with Joe we were able to verify what the seller/whoever he got the books from was using crayon. They actually did a good enough job that it was hard to pick up unless you looked carefully for it. 

Wax or pencil?hm

Just took 3.5 hrs to put something together... said to myself... surely this thread would have been shut down by now....

Well bust my tendergrits with a fistfull of sunshine - this thread is still open for business !

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wax or pencil?hm

My guess was wax based on how it looked in the light, but it was hard to tell since it was lightly done - they tried to wipe off as much of the evidence after the fact as they could. The seller then denied doing it and putting the blame on wherever he bought them from in the 80s or 90s, but when every book we saw had the same type of color touch then I get suspicious. At least he refunded the people that asked for one based on the undisclosed resto in the end. Sadly, most buyers walked away unaware of the resto they had in hand. 

39 minutes ago, Transplant said:

I don’t get the need to inject oneself into everything and decide to do so by flat out lying about things that happened in the past. I’ll call it blunter than fingh, god bless him. Not that he needs my help. Here’s the deal. Someone in this this thread LIES and tries to conflate themselves with the good name of another, past boardie. 

I used the personal example to show contrast how hypocritical people can be based on what their agendas are. Not to put the focus on me, but some of you just can't help yourself and continue to see the messenger rather than the message.

Yes, I did use a personal example where I felt I was victim, but it wasn't the point of the post.

As far as lying, I don't lie. I never have. But thank you for once again making it about me.

30 minutes ago, joecgcmaniac said:

But you did mess over other people here on the boards.

Um, a faceless nobody making claims on the internet about something that they don't have first hand information in? Color me shocked.

I've never messed anyone over and if I made any mistakes I've always made them right. But you have a dislike for me and never miss an opportunity to take a cowardly and anonymous dig from the safety of cyberspace.

42 minutes ago, joecgcmaniac said:

A guilty conscience will make everything you read seem like it is about you.

It's not.

Wait, first it is about me and then it isn't? Which is it? lol

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

My guess was wax based on how it looked in the light, but it was hard to tell since it was lightly done - they tried to wipe off as much of the evidence after the fact as they could. The seller then denied doing it and putting the blame on wherever he bought them from in the 80s or 90s, but when every book we saw had the same type of color touch then I get suspicious. At least he refunded the people that asked for one based on the undisclosed resto in the end. Sadly, most buyers walked away unaware of the resto they had in hand. 

Was just thinking how much easier wax crayon could be removed compared to the professional CT removal of late. 

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Just took 3.5 hrs to put something together... said to myself... surely this thread would have been shut down by now....

Well bust my tendergrits with a fistfull of sunshine - this thread is still open for business !

What did you buy from IKEA?hm