• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeff Weaver Wants No More Dealer Badges for Those Not Setting Up
1 1

156 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

It’s uncanny how complicated things can sometimes be, and some of the collateral issues that dealers who set up at a show must deal with.

For example, a high-end buyer gets a dealer’s badge from a vendor and gets in early. He visits various booths and puts short stacks of books on hold. The problem occurs when he never comes back for those books, or he only returns near the end of the show to absent-mindedly say he’s no longer interested. 

Not only has the dealer lost the opportunity to sell those comics that were held back for this individual, serious customers never even got to see them because they were put aside before the show even opened.

One dealer finally told me that he doesn’t care how much money this buyer might spend, he is no longer welcome behind his table. The vendor can’t stop the individual from getting in early to the show (because someone else gives him a dealer’s badge), but he certainly can police his booth as he deems fit.

That's probably a different thread but yes that's one way a high end buyer had his name changed from a noun into a verb in some dealers venaculars...LMAO

7 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Bringing back the boards back from their death you called just a few short days ago.  :baiting:

Jim

It's part of a master plan. Kill the boards 7/20. Resurrect them the next. Forumite of the year 2020. Conquer Canada afterwards! :sumo: 

51 minutes ago, october said:

I understand where dealers are coming from. If I paid for a table I wouldn't want to see the same two dozen yahoos running around pre-show scooping up the underpriced books either, especially if the badge was free.

That said, dealers should also appreciate that people have a lot of alternate buying options. I can (generally) find better deals to resell online. I can absolutely find better books for my collection online. Heritage alone smokes the golden age inventory of any five dealers I can think of, in my collecting wheelhouse at least. Why would I drag myself across the country and elbow fight with other sharks when I can sit in my office and pay less with the click of a button? 

Because online you miss out on the experience of interacting with your friends and making new ones. Buying books at a show is my primary reason for going. In the past year or so it become so much harder. Experiencing the hobby and being with people who share my interest is often the best part. 

Buying online (especially scarce GA) has also gotton quite difficult, super competitive and just as hard to find any deals. It doesn’t help that I’ve been collecting a LONG time and am pretty complete in most of my interests. 

The big auction houses are pretty much out for me. High prices, lots of competition as well as high buyer premiums, some times shady auction house practices, shipping and now taxes....

Fir the most part,  websites are a waste of time for me as well. Unless you are monitoring them minute to minute, anything I want is either gone before I get there or the better stuff goes to auctions as well. 

I have just gotton to the point where I go to shows for fun and consider myself lucky to go home with a few scraps. I have other interests and hobbies I can spend cash on anytime I want. 

Dealers should look at buyers like Foolkiller like Las Vegas looks at big gamblers. Instead of wanting them to go away, they should do everything they can to make sure that they are spending that money at their booth.

I'd be more upset that he's spending that money at another booth and not mine. I'd then find a way to have him spend that money next time at my booth. To me this is the opportunity that they should focus on.

34 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

It’s uncanny how complicated things can sometimes be, and some of the collateral issues that dealers who set up at a show must deal with.

For example, a high-end buyer gets a dealer’s badge from a vendor and gets in early. He visits various booths and puts short stacks of books on hold. The problem occurs when he never comes back for those books, or he only returns near the end of the show to absent-mindedly say he’s no longer interested. 

Not only has the dealer lost the opportunity to sell those comics that were held back for this individual, serious customers never even got to see them because they were put aside before the show even opened.

One dealer finally told me that he doesn’t care how much money this buyer might spend, he is no longer welcome behind his table. The vendor can’t stop the individual from getting in early to the show (because someone else gives him a dealer’s badge), but he certainly can police his booth as he deems fit.

NOBODY pulls out a stack of books in my booth and says “he will come back later”. If you want them, pay for them now or back they go. I will only hold them for you once you have paid.

I sell antiques, toys, and other collectibles at shows as well. Same thing happens there as well. “I’ll think about it” or I’ll come back later” 99% if the time means no sale. 

25 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Because online you miss out on the experience of interacting with your friends and making new ones. Buying books at a show is my primary reason for going. In the past year or so it become so much harder. Experiencing the hobby and being with people who share my interest is often the best part. 

Buying online (especially scarce GA) has also gotton quite difficult, super competitive and just as hard to find any deals. It doesn’t help that I’ve been collecting a LONG time and am pretty complete in most of my interests. 

The big auction houses are pretty much out for me. High prices, lots of competition as well as high buyer premiums, some times shady auction house practices, shipping and now taxes....

Fir the most part,  websites are a waste of time for me as well. Unless you are monitoring them minute to minute, anything I want is either gone before I get there or the better stuff goes to auctions as well. 

I have just gotton to the point where I go to shows for fun and consider myself lucky to go home with a few scraps. I have other interests and hobbies I can spend cash on anytime I want. 

I am at a stage in my life where weekends away are at a premium. I can't justify going to a show three states away just to say hello to other people and leave with scraps. I bring a good chuck of money to cons and I need to spend it on things that are worthwhile. That doesn't include relatively common books that are available on eBay right now for the same price or less. 

There are still plenty of outstanding deals to find online, but I agree that you have to be a lot more diligent. Thinking over a purchase for 20 seconds can cost you now, but if you think buying gold is tough consider yourself lucky that you aren't after keys. Orders of magnitude harder than gold now. 

Edited by october

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Maybe I'm missing something but what does getting in to a show early have to do with people requesting that books be held? Wouldn't that risk also arise from someone who came in during normal hours?

5 hours ago, mosconi said:

Gotcha!  So if a dealer ends up with extra badges, they can just be given to out to certain friends that ask (or that ask with some incentive for the dealer), or even possibly sold online to make a little profit?  And do Con organizers frown on this type of activity?  Shows how little I know of the Comic Con dealer behind the scene activities :blush: 

A dealer has to be very careful who they give or sell passes to.  Anytime I hand out a dealer pass I'm responsible for his behavior.  If he steals something I'm on the hook.

44 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Maybe I'm missing something but what does getting in to a show early have to do with people requesting that books be held? Wouldn't that risk also arise from someone who came in during normal hours?

Not much except the person in question is one known to be in shows early buying big stuff, as the result of having another dealer's badge.  So maybe a fair amount, I guess.  

49 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I was offering a behind-the-scenes perspective, it’s not simply just about high-end buyers getting in early and scooping up primo books. Is a dealer more amenable to putting aside a sweet stack of books for a high-end potential buyer who’s in early with a dealer’s badge versus a regular Joe coming in to the show later in the day and making the same request during normal hours?

I guess my point is that folk getting in early with a dealer’s badge have a certain level of prestige, and sometimes that privilege can be abused. 

1 hour ago, Guardian Comics said:

That's probably a different thread but yes that's one way a high end buyer had his name changed from a noun into a verb in some dealers venaculars...LMAO

The term Roy'd. Yeah, that was awesome. ¬¬

Early on (over a decade ago), when I was learning the ropes there were a couple of dealers with whom I put books on hold with early on and came back later. Most of the time it was a 'when you get a chance to give me final total let me know' situation as many dealers do, but I was new and probably rubbing some people the wrong way. I generally went back and purchased books except for the one time I specifically remember where I forgot to return to Dale Roberts who has long since gotten over the one book that was on hold which sold shortly after he put it back up. I haven't done that since.

But there was a specific posse of people who could not stop making me their central focus (you were one of the posse, and the rest were self admitted by many afterward) at my expense and they went out of their way to make life truly difficult for me by both on the chat forums and on the show floor. Most of them have moved on, you and I are more or less friends (and pretty much have been since early on) and the ringleader has left these forums but a few still like to stick it to me once in a while (like Transplant who Liked your post) for whatever reason.

It really was a situation that I felt was blown out of proportion by people who enjoyed having a laugh at my expense but I also understand that the hobby is much a social event for people as it is just about comics so gossip is going to happen. And that's probably why stood out to some people. Comics weren't my primary social circle as they may have been for others. But that still doesn't excuse having fun at someone else's expense.

And I'm pretty sure most of those dealers don't mind if I visit their booths over a decade later.

But I get it, the internet never forgets.

Edited by VintageComics

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The term Roy'd. Yeah, that was awesome. ¬¬

Early on (over a decade ago), when I was learning the ropes there were a couple of dealers with whom I put books on hold with early on and came back later. Most of the time it was a 'when you get a chance to give me final total let me know' situation as many dealers do, but I was new and probably rubbing some people the wrong way. I generally went back and purchased books except for the one time I specifically remember where I forgot to return to Dale Roberts who has long since gotten over the one book that was on hold which sold shortly after he put it back up. I haven't done that since.

But there was a specific posse of people who could not stop making me their central focus (you were one of the posse, and the rest were self admitted by many afterward) at my expense and they went out of their way to make life truly difficult for me by both on the chat forums and on the show floor. Most of them have moved on, you and I are more or less friends (and pretty much have been since early on) and the ringleader has left these forums but a few still like to stick it to me once in a while (like Transplant who Liked your post) for whatever reason.

It really was a situation that I felt was blown out of proportion by people who enjoyed having a laugh at my expense but I also understand that the hobby is much a social event for people as it is just about comics so gossip is going to happen. And that's probably why stood out to some people. Comics weren't my primary social circle as they may have been for others. But that still doesn't excuse having fun at someone else's expense.

And I'm pretty sure most of those dealers don't mind if I visit their booths over a decade later.

But I get it, the internet never forgets.

Watson is probably giggling right now. You’re still paranoid about a secret society of Roy haters (The Hive) after all these years.

There's an irony in Jeff's position. I just had a dealer message me and tell me that Jeff used to supply this dealer with a show badge to purchase books.

I consider Jeff a friend (and I think he reciprocates) and Jeff has also supplied me with a badge in the past.

Having said that, each show promoter can do whatever works best for their show.

The movement to prevent buyers from entering shows early if they haven't purchased tables is more a sign of the times than anything else.

Comics have become big money and where there's money, there's more competition. There's competition at competing for collections both on and off the show floor. And so a business person does whatever they can do reduce their competition.

A dealer sets up at a show and decides they don't need so many badges and gives them to a few high rollers.  Isn't that their right since it's theirs to do what they want with it.  If you don't want to give yours away then you are free to trash them or even burn them - they are yours.  Suggesting promoters should police the use of other people's badges and even define what a helper is since you don't like the competition is pretty bold to me.  If people are sneaking in or printing their own badges I can see where people would be pissed.

Edited by 1Cool

Just now, MCMiles said:

Watson is probably giggling right now. You’re still paranoid about a secret society of Roy haters (The Hive) after all these years.

It's all good. I've grown past it (as have others).

I'm no longer paranoid but it was a real thing at the time. Some of the members even openly admitted it to me personally.

But it's in the past and I no longer care although I do remember. I consider many of those people friends now, but it's hard to forget the past.

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

This thread just got “Roy’d“

Not really.  I'm sure someone will pay for it.  That's the difference. 

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

This thread just got “Roy’d“

All we need is a Cal sighting and we are gold for most of the week.