• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I cant be the first one to do this...
1 1

64 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Another reason to keep a smaller collection but also to maintain your inventory in the registry. lol   When I go to a show or am shopping at auction I defer to my registry to see which ASMs I might want to upgrade. 

I do that with my graded books

I have all their serial numbers written down and what I paid for them.

as to the OP question I have done this a few times... So I started my excel sheet to help prevent this in the future and to help organize now that my collection has grown a bit. 

40 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

as to the OP question I have done this a few times... So I started my excel sheet to help prevent this in the future and to help organize now that my collection has grown a bit. 

That's a good idea(thumbsu

I imagine a few of these collectors are too late in the game for it, sitting on a few hundred long boxes wo dering how they got 50 copies of Amazing Spiderman 326.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's a good idea(thumbsu

I imagine a few of these collectors are too late in the game for it, sitting on a few hundred long boxes wo dering how they got 50 copies of Amazing Spiderman 326.

Thanks! 

But most collectors or even sellers do this kind of inventory although I do see some sellers still rocking the old paper and pencil note pad to do their inventory.

Was at a Con with a guy crossing off and noting on a Notebook his collection props to him for organizing 20 Long boxes on a note pad with a pencil and knowing what page is for what box etc.. 

9 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Thanks! 

But most collectors or even sellers do this kind of inventory although I do see some sellers still rocking the old paper and pencil note pad to do their inventory.

Was at a Con with a guy crossing off and noting on a Notebook his collection props to him for organizing 20 Long boxes on a note pad with a pencil and knowing what page is for what box etc.. 

And what amazes me further is

Some of them know every single comic they own

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

Yup, in 2005 I started cataloging and maintaining my collection/hoard in Excel. I know exactly what I have, but I found it didn't help too much when I was at a store or con. I still picked up duplicate issues. I then sorted my spreadsheet and spit out a text file that I kept on my phone. I found that it was a pain to scroll through. Now I use a simple table that lists issues from specific titles/runs that I don't have or want to upgrade and that works best for me. When I get an issue, I just strike it off.

48 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Yup, in 2005 I started cataloging and maintaining my collection/hoard in Excel. I know exactly what I have, but I found it didn't help too much when I was at a store or con. I still picked up duplicate issues. I then sorted my spreadsheet and spit out a text file that I kept on my phone. I found that it was a pain to scroll through. Now I use a simple table that lists issues from specific titles/runs that I don't have or want to upgrade and that works best for me. When I get an issue, I just strike it off.

that happened to me as well as I picked up a duplicate as I forgot my excel sheet just like you I used another page as a Want List or Upgrade List and kept them separate as I prefer to work for Wanted books (so books I don't own but want to) then looking at the Upgrade list as I would work within a certain budget when I can as sometimes you can't help but splurge and worry about the cost later lol :whee:but I still have the Excel stored on my phone and update it as I can. 

On 8/5/2019 at 4:40 PM, kav said:

yup.  done it a lot.

I cant tell you how many #@!#% Action #1's I have

post #2 in this thread. 

I think, it's ridiculous to have posters on "ignore" and continue to post.  It makes one look like a dope if they post something that has already been posted by some person they have on ignore.

Or perhaps like they just didn't even bother to read the thread (Jeffro)  

Who knows how many folks have me on ignore and miss all the incredible wit and wisdom I provide to this community :grin:

9 minutes ago, Senormac said:

post #2 in this thread. 

I think, it's ridiculous to have posters on "ignore" and continue to post.  It makes one look like a dope if they post something that has already been posted by some person they have on ignore.

Who knows how many folks have me on ignore and miss all the incredible wit and wisdom I provide to this community :grin:

And then they have to crow about having someone on ignore, which is the opposite of ignoring.  lol 

13 hours ago, Senormac said:

post #2 in this thread. 

I know.  It is zero.  :foryou:

On 8/6/2019 at 9:41 AM, Krishosein said:

I use excel but I still managed to end up with duplicates of 2 SA ASM 9.8 W of which less than 10 copies existed on the census.  what had happened was I accidentally closed my spreadsheet without saving and then went to recover it by accessing the   auto saved copies of my spreadsheet. excel doesnt always sort the most recent autosaved copy at the top of the list of autosaved copies. I loaded and overwrote it with an auto saved copy that was nearly a year older.  during a clink auction I checked my list and placed aggressive bids for them and won.

I didn't find out until I received them and went to file them into my collection. Imagine my surprise and how pissed I was at having wasted that much money that could have gone towards other issues I didn't win.:censored::pullhair::frustrated:doh!

I spent the rest of the week bringing the list up to date. now I always double check my collection before bidding.

2 hours ago, justafan said:

I use excel but I still managed to end up with duplicates of 2 SA ASM 9.8 W of which less than 10 copies existed on the census.  what had happened was I accidentally closed my spreadsheet without saving and then went to recover it by accessing the   auto saved copies of my spreadsheet. excel doesnt always sort the most recent autosaved copy at the top of the list of autosaved copies. I loaded and overwrote it with an auto saved copy that was nearly a year older.  during a clink auction I checked my list and placed aggressive bids for them and won.

I didn't find out until I received them and went to file them into my collection. Imagine my surprise and how pissed I was at having wasted that much money that could have gone towards other issues I didn't win.:censored::pullhair::frustrated:doh!

I spent the rest of the week bringing the list up to date. now I always double check my collection before bidding.

first world problems..., meh

12 hours ago, justafan said:

I would sell the duplicate that's what I will probably end up doing myself. Just waiting to see if the value goes up in a year or 2