• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SECRET INVASION show (2022?)
5 5

311 posts in this topic

Marvel Studios reunites Captain Marvel co-stars Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn in Disney+ original series Secret Invasion, which could bring super-spy Mockingbird (Adrianne Palicki) into the wider Marvel Cinematic Universe. Palicki starred as S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Bobbi Morse in seasons 2 and 3 of ABC and Marvel Television's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which split off from the mainstream MCU in later seasons despite earlier tie-ins with MCU-set feature films like Captain America: The Winter Soldier. In Secret Invasion, one of the many Marvel Studios series that will intersect with the movies, Palicki could reprise her role for the first time since season 3 episode "Parting Shot" in 2016.

Morse and ex-husband Lance Hunter (Nick Blood) exited Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. with a spy's goodbye in "Parting Shot," part of a plan to spin the spies off into Marvel's Most Wanted. The spin-off's unaired pilot would have teamed Morse and Hunter with rogue adventurer Dominic Fortune (Delroy Lindo), but the project did not move forward at Disney-owned ABC.

In the Marvel comic books, Morse is one of several superheroes kept prisoner by the shape-shifting Skrulls and replaced by a deeply undercover sleeper agent on Earth. During the Secret Invasion crossover event, Morse returns from space and is reunited with her ex-husband, Clint Barton, a.k.a. Hawkeye/Ronin of the Avengers.

Spider-Man: Far From Home teased the newly-announced Marvel Studios series in a post-credits scene Easter egg, where the license plate of a vehicle piloted by good guy Skrulls Talos (Mendelsohn) and Soren (Sharon Blynn) references an issue of Secret Invasion tie-in comic Hawkeye & Mockingbird.

In that issue taking place after Morse returns to Earth and reclaims her identity stolen by Skrulls, she's paired with Dominic Fortune in the jungles of the Savage Land when she comes across Nick Fury. She quickly realizes this "Fury" is a Skrull, telling him: "I spent three years of my life with your kind. Imprisoned. Beaten. On the run. You can never trick me again, no matter whose face you have. I'll kill you every time."

Most Wanted also had Morse and Hunter on the run while trying to uncover a conspiracy. Secret Invasion could mark Morse's return, regardless of whether the MCU-set series acknowledges her time on the MCU-adjoined Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. — possibly revealing the spy as one of the Skrulls who have infiltrated every level of life on Earth. This would give Palicki a blank slate as a newly-returned Mockingbird in the MCU proper.

"Listen, if they ask me to come back, I would absolutely come back," the Orville star told TV Line when asked about a Mockingbird return last year. "I was like, 'Nick [Blood] came back [for a Season 5 episode of S.H.I.E.L.D.] — what the hell, guys!'"

Secret Invasion is one of the most acclaimed Marvel Comics events in the comic franchise's history. The story calls for shapeshifting Skrulls to invade the planet, often posing as Avengers, in an effort to dethrone Earth's Mightiest Heroes and take over the world. It called for dozens of Avengers heroes and other Marvel characters to play roles. Years later, the series originally written by Brian Michael Bendis is seeing itself get adapted into the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a series starring Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn as Nick Fury and Talos, respectively. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige opened up about the upcoming Secret Invasion series coming to Disney+, promising the key elements of the comic are going to remain, even if the massive roster of characters does not.

During a press event in promotion of Friday's WandaVision premiere, Feige connected with ComicBook.com via Zoom, where we asked if the Secret Invasion TV series will match the scope of the comic series, in terms of total characters and impact on the Marvel Universe. "Well, there were more characters in the Secret Invasion comic series than there were in Endgame so, no," Feige admits. "It's not that but it very much is a showcase for Sam Jackson and Ben Mendelson and tapping into the paranoia elements of the Secret Invasion comic series that was great with the twists and turns that that took. So, that's certainly our focus more than, 'Can we cram in more characters than Endgame? like publishing?'"

The seeds for a Secret Invasion series or movie were first planted in the Captain Marvel movie which introduced Skrulls into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, before they went on to have roles in Spider-Man: Far From Home. Far From Home showed Talos and Nick Fury have been doing a considerable amount of work together, as Talos and his wife Soren essentially filled in for Nick Fury and Maria Hill throughout Spider-Man: Far From Home. Fury was out in the cosmos, expected by fans to have been founding SWORD (a cosmic version of SHIELD, for brevity's sake) and SWORD is playing a part in WandaVision.

The next steps to Secret Invasion could come in the WandaVision series or, at least, some characters who will be involved with the story. Teyonah Parris checks in as Monica Rambeau, promising viewers will see what the character has been up to since she was a young girl in Louisiana in the Captain Marvel movie before going on to Captain Marvel 2 in 2022. Secret Invasion does not yet have a release date but it is possible the series could lead into Captain Marvel 2, especially with how connected the Marvel Cinematic Universe is in the wake of Avengers: Endgame and many of the titles are seeing more crossovers than in previous phases.

Now THIS would be very interesting. And especially if Chris Evans is playing ignorant to a secret casting that leaked out.

News earlier today rocked the internet when a report surfaced from Deadline that Captain America himself Chris Evans "is in talks with Marvel Studios to finish a deal" that would see him return to the part of Steve Rogers. Given the way things were left in Avengers: Endgame, and Evans' own insistence that he's finished with the MCU, this came as a big surprise. Though Evans has seemingly thrown water on this by simply tweeting "News to me" with the shrug emoji, fans still think that he'll be returning (considering previous public deception by Marvel Studios and their actors regarding casting) and there's one clear place it could happen, Secret Invasion.

As Marvel fans know, the original storyline in Marvel Comics dealt with the infiltration of several superhero teams and families by the shape shifting aliens the Skrulls. Disney Investor Day 2020 revealed that Marvel Studios is adapting this storyline into a new series for Disney+ with Kevin Feige confirming that it would star Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn as Nick Fury and Talos, respectively, reprising their parts from 2019's Captain Marvel (and seemingly continuing the story set up in Spider-Man: Far From Home). What's unclear is how many other characters from the larger MCU will appear in the series and which of them will be revealed to secretly be Skrulls; but one prime candidate for that would be Evans' Steve Rogers.

We’ve been seeing the “Daredevil will be in Spider-Man 3” rumor floating for a while. But, there’s a new rumor that puts Charlie Cox’s Matt Murdock in a different Marvel project. FandomWire reports that we’ll see the Man Without Fear in Secret Invasion.

This scares me a little…does that mean Charlie Cox will be playing a Skrull? I hope not. But, I do welcome any chance we get to see Cox again as Matt Murdock. I do hope this rumor is true!

Oscar nominee Olivia Colman is heading into the Marvel Universe.

Colman, who is nominated for the best supporting actress Academy Award for her role in the British drama The Father, is in negotiations to join Secret Invasion, Marvel Studios' next series.

The show uses the events of Marvel’s Captain Marvel movie as a launching pad and focuses on the ever-popular secret agent Nick Fury, played by a returning Samuel L. Jackson, and a shapeshifter from the alien race known as the Skrulls (Ben Mendelsohn, reprising his role from the feature).

Plot details are being kept under wraps but an infiltration of Skrulls on Earth figures into the proceedings. It is unclear who Colman would play.

Marvel had no comment, but the cast also includes One Night in Miami breakout Kingsley Ben-Adir as the likely villain.

Directors are being lined up for the job and Kyle Bradstreet, who worked on the acclaimed cyber thriller series Mr. Robot, is writing and executive producing Invasion.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:26 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Disney+????  Then I'm assuming this won't be the new storyline to hit the movie theaters.

I like Amelia Clarke but it is going to take a lot of makeup for me not to see Daenerys.  Some roles are just too iconic to replace.

Part of me is disappointed that this will be a Disney+ series as this could have been an underlying storyline connecting a whole series of TV shows and films culminating into a theatrical release.  

It may still well happen.  However, I am hoping that the TV series leads to something bigger. 

59 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Part of me is disappointed that this will be a Disney+ series as this could have been an underlying storyline connecting a whole series of TV shows and films culminating into a theatrical release.  

It may still well happen.  However, I am hoping that the TV series leads to something bigger. 

I think that's the plan, as Secret Invasion could likely be leading up to Secret Wars.

2 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I think that's the plan, as Secret Invasion could likely be leading up to Secret Wars.

Secret Invasion will directly lead into Captain Marvel 2.

Over in the Falcon thread, I incorrectly said Fury was on R&R on the Skrull mothership at the end of Spider-Man FFH. He was actually on a mission, as stated by Talos. What is this mission and why is Fury getting the assist from the Skrulls? Is it something Earth related the reason why Fury is on a mission in some other solar system with an armada of Skrulls helping him? I'm sure that ending credits scene ties directly to the MCU's Secret Invasion. And as I said over in Falcon's thread, I do not think the Skrulls will be the invading alien force (or whatever it is) in the Disney+ series.

12 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

Didn't the Russo Brothers say at one point one of their favorite Marvel stories was Secret Wars? But they meant the 1984 storyline, and not the 2015 story. They're Copper Age comic fans at heart.

The Russo Brothers Hint at an MCU Return With SECRET WARS

But in a recent interview, they dropped some nuggets about what an eventual return to the MCU might look like for them. And once again, the Marvel Comics classic Secret Wars was name dropped. It seems that this story is the Russo’s true Marvel endgame (pun intended).

While talking with BroBible (via IGN), the Russos explained the reason why they would like to potentially adapt Secret Wars into a big-screen event. Joe Russo admitted to being obsessed by “the scale of getting all of the heroes together” when he first read the comic book as a kid. And seeing that come to life might be too exciting a prospect to pass up.

Joe elaborated, saying “I also like the idea of villains having to team up with heroes. [Anthony] and I like complicated relationships between heroes and villains, we like villains who believe they’re heroes in their own stories, so it’s all sort of built into this notion of Secret Wars. To execute something on the scale of Infinity War was directly related to the dream of Secret Wars, which is even larger in scale.”

Anthony Russo added his two cents, saying “It would be the biggest movie you could possibly imagine — the ambition of it is even bigger than the ambition of the Infinity Saga.”

On 4/26/2021 at 6:42 PM, Crimebuster said:

This is probably the MCU project I am least interested in. Hated the train wreck of a comic. On the plus side, this will certainly be better than that at least. 

As far as the comic book crossover event goes, I think the Disney+ show will be Secret Invasion in name only. I think it will not resemble that comic series at all and it will be a much smaller scale. I guess I don't have to say that I also don't think the Skrulls will be the ones doing the secret invading.

That aside, I am very much looking forward to this because I'm looking forward to seeing Ben Mendelhson's Talos teamed up with Sam Jackson's Fury again. They were awesome together in Captain Marvel. If anything, it's going to be hilarious.

On 4/26/2021 at 6:45 AM, Bosco685 said:

Didn't the Russo Brothers say at one point one of their favorite Marvel stories was Secret Wars? But they meant the 1984 storyline, and not the 2015 story. They're Copper Age comic fans at heart.

The Russo Brothers Hint at an MCU Return With SECRET WARS

:whistle:

The secret is out: Thomas Bezucha, who helmed last year’s crime thriller Let Him Go, and Ali Selim, who worked on Hulu’s 9-11 drama The Looming Tower, have been tapped to direct Marvel Studios’ latest series, Secret Invasion.

The show has been casting up in recent weeks with Olivia Colman, Emilia Clarke, and Kingsley Ben-Adir joining Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn on the call sheet. The latter two are reprising their respective Marvel movie roles of sneaky tough guy Nick Fury and Talos, a shape-shifting alien from a species named the Skrulls.

Emilia Clarke is currently promoting the release of her original comic book, M.O.M.: Mother of Madness, and stopped by the Happy Sad Confused Podcast to talk to Josh Horowitz. The discussion eventually turned to her upcoming role in the comic book show. However, when Horowitz asked for some teases about what drew Clarke to Secret Invasion and this role, she told him how scared she is that she'll say the wrong thing and get Marvel mad.

"The first people that I spoke to after getting the Marvel job was their security team. [laughs] I am petrified. I actually live in fear that something is going to happen and I'm going to say something and they'll get upset."

The sense of fear that Emilia Clarke has to discuss Secret Invasion is par for the course with how most new additions to the MCU feel. Marvel Studios is known for its strict contracts and the NDAs everyone involved with each project must sign. 

Now that Moon Knight and She-Hulk are getting closer to wrapping principal photography, Marvel Studios' next batch of projects are getting ready to film. Earlier this month, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever started to roll cameras at Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta and on Monday, Peyton Reed's Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania entered principal photography. Now, it looks like Disney+'s Secret Invasion is getting ready to film in a matter of weeks.

Over the weekend, ace scooper Charles Murphy shared that Secret Invasion would pick up photography beginning mid-August and last through the majority of the holidays and wrap sometime in December.