• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SECRET INVASION show (2022?)
5 5

311 posts in this topic

There's a few problems here - not least of which is this being the lead into Secret War.

The cast, led by our own Black Santa lookalike, Sam Jackson, is too old.

The rest of the cast - whelp!

The youngest main actor - Emelia Clarke is 37. The rest , well into late middle age at best.

It's like a James Bond retirement series.

There's nothing outstandingly wrong with it - but there's nothing outstandingly right, either.

I just don't know who the series, with it's older cast, limited SFX and predictable plot is pitched at?

I'll probably watch the rest - but I doubt a late middle age guy is the audience that Marvel are trying to draw into Phase 5 - in fact, I'm certain I'm not.

I'm not suggesting everything is like The Spider-verse, but surely, by now, they must have some sort of plan to deliver something new to younger viewers - the ones that they will need to get onboard for phase 5 onwards.

It was average, and a conglomeration of stuff I've watched 100 times before.

Also - you can throw a Skrull through concrete pylons unscathed, but take them out with a 9mm pistol?

Sloppy writing, and not a great sign of things to come.

Sam - retire dude, just retire.

Edited by Beige

Agreed, on a lot of that.  It was 'watchable' at best.  

I didn't know Emilia was that old, she passes for late 20's easily enough.

I'll watch the rest too, hopefully it picks up.   

Sam is getting old alright, though the scar's give him some leeway on his age.   It add's to the character.   

On 6/22/2023 at 8:01 PM, silverseeker said:

I had no idea this already dropped, but will check out the first episode...guess this could be a sign of "Marvel fatigue" for me, as I was in the loop with all of the previous D+ series and watched episodes within a day or two of their release.

I never read the comic series on which this show was based, and don't know if that's a good or bad thing? (shrug)

Has very little to do with the comic at this point except for the title and the bare bones idea that Skrull have infiltrated and are manipulating the government, etc. The comic series was heavily focused on heroes being replaced, and focused on the heroes rooting out what was going on. Fury was a minor character in the comics for this story arc. Much of what happens in the comics can't occur in the shows as it involves many characters that have not (or can not) been introduced in the MCU, and it involves all the major characters and teams.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:18 PM, Beige said:

There's a few problems here - not least of which is this being the lead into Secret War.

so we can say  it's just a means to an end ? or is it worse than that?

Edited by Ed Hanes

Finally watched the 1st episode and I thought it was decent.  The 1st half was really slow but the second half flowed well and I at least got done feeling entertained.  Hopefully the rest will be better.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:21 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

When he was hired, the director was told not to read the comics. lol

Yeap, because it has nothing to do with the comics.  It is another case of the MCU using a title and the broadest ideas from the original story, and nothing else.

On 6/29/2023 at 9:15 AM, Dr. Balls said:

lol

Ok, second episode - I am bracing for a tidal wave of criticism, and it's deserved. It came to me last night: I think Marvel/Disney's problem is that they are not writing their episodes like TV episodes should be written. It's almost as if Secret Invasion was to be a movie, and they chopped it up into episodes.

In 42 minutes, there's no action, very little suspense (and when there is some, it's somewhat confusing) and the end is so patently boring and anti-climactic that it's only purpose seems to be to create internet criticism fodder.

TV episodes - especially those part of a larger arc - are meant to have cliffhanger-esque endings to pique the interest for the next episode. I do not come away from this episode wondering "what's next?" - it's just a lackluster ending. And I'm being charitable - I believe that every episode of television should have a crazy cliffhanger the likes of '24', but I know that's not possible, so I settle for whatever they give me. But give me something that is remotely interesting. Finding out hardcase Nick Fury is married to a woman who doesn't care that he's been gone for years? Snore.

24-jack-bauer.gif

i believe you are right, they have movie concepts that they are trying to make into shows, in some cases extending the storylines to fill up more episodes (see falcon show)

the other part is that no one cares for their personal lives, let alone made up ones that make zero sense (again see falcon) to the narrative of the show

On 6/29/2023 at 10:20 AM, jsilverjanet said:

i believe you are right, they have movie concepts that they are trying to make into shows, in some cases extending the storylines to fill up more episodes (see falcon show)

the other part is that no one cares for their personal lives, let alone made up ones that make zero sense (again see falcon) to the narrative of the show

I think this is a problem with a lot of these 6 to 10 episode streaming shows, not just Disney.  Although many Disney projects have been especially guilt.  FaWS, Loki, Secret Invasion, Obi-Wan, Season 2 and 3 of Mando, etc, have all felt this way to me.  They are 2 hour movies being stretched to the breaking point. Now I would say WandaVision felt much more TV episodic, as did She Hulk (but dear God that was the only thing that show got right).

They really need to look at TV shows like Buffy, Angel, Lost, the Expanse, and Chuck (to name a few) where many  episodes were more or less stand alone or at least satisfying, but each did their part to move along the season long arc, or character development. Each episode offered some level of plot, character, fun, action, drama, and resolution.  It was even more impressive that this was maintained over 20 plus episode seasons in many cases. Sure there were clunkers in there, but it worked.

I disagree about the personal stuff, people do want that stuff.  The issue is these elements are not being integrated at all, just tacked on with no effect on the plot.  Here Buffy is a prime example.  Most episode plots did include characterisation and developement, but it was woven into or essential to the story being told.  The Buffy and Angel arc being a brilliant example, that explores a young women discovering love, friendships, sex, and learning to grow up.  All character driven, but the choices and discoveries made during that process drives the season plot and subsequent action.

Disney does not seem to know how to do this.

Edited by drotto

On 6/29/2023 at 8:20 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I'm with you there. I liked the emo-esque shoegazing Nick Fury who was (seemingly) fighting with his failures. I was hoping to be moved in the moment with Hill's mom - but they missed the mark. Remember when the lady confronted Tony Stark by the elevator about her dead son? Man, was that a powerful personal moment or what? RDJ's and Alfre Woodard's acting in that scene is beyond impeccable. They could have tapped into that with Fury and Momma Hill, but they just couldn't get there. That was disappointing.

Now they throw the "I'm secretly married" concept in the mix, which I disagree with. I don't mind the personal touches, but I - personally - like to see it limited to one major component. I don't need several layers of personal story in an espionage tv show. If it was 'This is Us' maybe I would be interested, but I did not sign on for reflective interpersonal love stories.

And I agree: the Falcon show was littered with these concepts as well - Sam Wilson's family runs a shrimpin' boat and can't get a loan? Then they telegraph arguably the most illogical race-baiting scene I've watched in a Marvel show: setting aside that Sam Wilson doesn't have a job, doesn't have income, doesn't have assets, doesn't have credit history, doesn't have a down payment - he concludes he's turned down for a loan because he's black? That was a shameful day for Marvel.

However, it seems that they have dialed back the painful virtue signaling scenes to just some throwaway comments (looking at you, Ant-Man) so at least they've learned. But they have not learned where to put the emphasis on characters in their show.

Edited by Dr. Balls

i think for this show especially, tighten it up, tell "the" story, no need to talk about things that aren't relevant to the point.make 4 great episodes instead of 6 mediocre ones

this story should feel like an action movie, it seems more like grumpy old men meets aliens

On 6/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, jsilverjanet said:

i think for this show especially, tighten it up, tell "the" story, no need to talk about things that aren't relevant to the point.make 4 great episodes instead of 6 mediocre ones

this story should feel like an action movie, it seems more like grumpy old men meets aliens

Or just release it as a two hour direct to D+ film, one and done.  Even better, if they can keep the production budget under $100 million put it in the theaters, and if it gets $250 to $300 million in box office, at least you have turned a profit. Especially since all D+ does is lose money so far.

I actually prefer the weekly releases for shows like this. (Go ahead and call me crazy)   It gives me something to look forward to during the week, and with a 45 minute episode, I don't need to commit a large chunk of time devoted to being in front of the TV.  (I'm looking at you Avatar: Way of Water).  :shiftyeyes:   The pattern I have noticed is that the last few episodes are much better than the first few episodes.  I hope that continues for Secret Invasion.

New Marvel & Star Wars series is the main reason why I subscribe to Disney+ anyway.  

On 6/29/2023 at 1:05 PM, ymisbatg said:

I actually prefer the weekly releases for shows like this. (Go ahead and call me crazy)   It gives me something to look forward to during the week, and with a 45 minute episode, I don't need to commit a large chunk of time devoted to being in front of the TV.

I am in the same boat. I like coming home on Wednesdays to have something to watch. I only get about 45 minutes a night to wind down, and having something each week is great. It's like the olden days of TV.

I honestly feel like I watch these shows out of fandom obligation more than anything.
Truth be told I've fallen asleep during both episodes so far.

Used to watch Marvel properties to be surprised, but now everything gets scooped months in advance.
(The Marvels movie and end credit scenes synopsis have already posted online...)

Edited by troy.division