• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone seen a picture of the Blue label 9.2 Detective comics #27 on the census?
1 1

143 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

3.4 mil would be my guess for the 9.2

This grail, this unreal condition, extreme scarcity. Its completely uncharted land.

it depends on whos in the equation when bidding goes down. It just takes two Hollywood tycoons wanting to takes this home. Then it could be 2, 4, 6 mill. No one knows.  I agree with Woo Woo.

8 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

It just takes two Hollywood tycoons wanting to takes this home.

I see a lot of talk about Hollywood guys bidding on these caliber books. Where were they for the Action1 9.0 !?

What's 5 Mil to Spielberg, DiCaprio or whomever. They spend so much more on so many other things. They could have outbid Metro on ebay but they didn't. They didn't because they weren't there. They likely have a new mansion, castle, island or yacht to concern themselves with.

By the way, I believe a 5 Mil bid would have largely outbid Metro on the AC1.

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I see a lot of talk about Hollywood guys bidding on these caliber books. Where were they for the Action1 9.0 !?

What's 5 Mil to Spielberg, DiCaprio or whomever. They probably spend that on a week's vacation resort. They could have outbid Metro on ebay but they didn't. They didn't because they weren't there. They likely have a new mansion, castle, island or yacht to concern themselves with.

Whom ever was involved in that auction I dont know. We just know they bid under 3,2 mill.

Now in terms of Batman, there is a global attention that (in all respect) is way above the attention level around supes.

if two top dogs from the incredibly wealthy Hollywood entertainment business show up for this book (the best of the best), - should it become available - all predictions are out the window imho. Its extremely rare.

19 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

What's 5 Mil to Spielberg, DiCaprio or whomever. They spend so much more on so many other things. They could have outbid Metro on ebay but they didn't. They didn't because they weren't there. They likely have a new mansion, castle, island or yacht to concern themselves with.

By the way, I believe a 5 Mil bid would have largely outbid Metro on the AC1.

They probably already have their copies(along with George Lucas and Jerry Seinfeld).

18 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

They probably already have their copies(along with George Lucas and Jerry Seinfeld).

Yes probably, but lesser grade copies and they're probably happy with them. No need to pursue the highest graded copy.

Edited by Gotham Kid

26 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

if two top dogs from the incredibly wealthy Hollywood entertainment business show up for this book (the best of the best), - should it become available - all predictions are out the window imho.

true but again they won't

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Yes probably, but lesser grade copies and they're probably happy with them. No need to pursue the highest graded copy.

Other factors would have to be present to get the book to reap 5 mill, but I believe provenance would be the key factor right up there with condition: I'm of the mind if HA had a video hyping/ setting up the story of the Frisco  Cap1 accompanying the auction it would have crossed the 1 mill barrier

I'm also of the mind if the best existing TEC27 were the Church copy (unrestored) it could get 5 mill. Can't beat that trifecta for IP recognition,  Provenance and Top graded.

32 minutes ago, sagii said:

I'm also of the mind if the best existing TEC27 were the Church copy (unrestored) it could get 5 mill. Can't beat that trifecta for IP recognition,  Provenance and Top graded.

Pretty common knowledge that the Church copy of Tec27 isn't the best, or even 2nd or 3rd best.

Also believe Gator relayed the story that there was a willing and able offer of $4 million made on the 9.2 copy, and as usual it wasn't from one of the Hollywood elite or a Russian oligarch.

21 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Maybe for the Allentown.

Up until 2018 ( when I believe the 9.2 was graded ) this was the highest certified copy (1 of 2)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-dc-1939-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7017-91126.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It received in late 2017 a max offer of 1.5 Mil.

I don't see the 9.2 reach 4 Mil at auction quite honestly. Yes I know the AC1 reached 3Mil+ but Hariri was bidding. Take him out of the picture ...

I had a potential buyer a couple of years that had me float a 4 mil offer to the owner of the 9.2. 

It was not accepted and this was sdcc 2017 iirc. Might be worth more or less now. Since it isn’t coming to market and isn’t for sale, we won’t know any time soon I suspect 

24 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Also believe Gator relayed the story that there was a willing and able offer of $4 million made on the 9.2 copy, and as usual it wasn't from one of the Hollywood elite or a Russian oligarch.

If in fact the 9.2 owner did receive a 4 Mil offer for his book he should take it.

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:
3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

If in fact the 9.2 owner did receive a 4 Mil offer for his book he should take it.

And yet he didn’t (shrug)

I know I would. Then I'd buy a mid grade copy and still have some change left :smile:

Just now, Gotham Kid said:

I know I would. Then I'd buy a mid grade copy and still have some change left :smile:

Maybe it’s like the dentist. They like having the book(s) more and don’t need the money or could be other reasons. Wish I knew :(

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Pretty common knowledge that the Church copy of Tec27 isn't the best, or even 2nd or 3rd best.

Yes, I'm aware it isn't the best copy. I meant to relay I was presenting a 'what if' scenario that it was. 

54 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Than why are you always looking to upgrade Peter ? you have mid grade copy's yet I seen you get better :hi: (worship)

Edited by woowoo

On 8/17/2019 at 1:39 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I take it the 8.0 did not drop off the census when the 9.2 appeared ? Allentown also a 8.0 ? 

Matro was/is 8.0.

The Allentown is owned by DA and could be best, given what some of the other Allentown's have hit.  The D29 is a 9.6.