• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skybolt's Slabbed Good Girl Art Collection

1,029 posts in this topic

Tomorrow I'll start with some of the Fiction House titles:

Fight, Rangers, Planet and Wings comics, and then I'll move on to the Jungle books (unfortunately, I'm still waiting for about 20 more of them to come back from PGX).

Great books. And many of yours in the 4.0-6.0 range have good eye appeal- great bargains.

I've been seeing a tremendous amount of variability in CGC graded GA books at almost EVERY grade as I view, and sometimes buy these on ebay. I've recently bought some in the 6.0-7.0 that looked VG to me (once in hand), whereas some in the 5.0 range looked closer to F/VF. Certain defects like erased writing, large tears or huge chips, seem to be discounted too much, and even more so as you move back to the 40's books. It's to the point the CGC grade has only slight weight with me and huge high res scans are now required for any slabbed book. sign-rantpost.gif

Keep them coming!

Great books. And many of yours in the 4.0-6.0 range have good eye appeal- great bargains.

I've been seeing a tremendous amount of variability in CGC graded GA books at almost EVERY grade as I view, and sometimes buy these on ebay. I've recently bought some in the 6.0-7.0 that looked VG to me (once in hand), whereas some in the 5.0 range looked closer to F/VF. Certain defects like erased writing, large tears or huge chips, seem to be discounted too much, and even more so as you move back to the 40's books. It's to the point the CGC grade has only slight weight with me and huge high res scans are now required for any slabbed book. sign-rantpost.gif

Keep them coming!

You're absolutely right. For instance, the Wonder Comics #13 was downgraded to 5.0 because of a small stain on the inside of the front cover. Otherwise, the book looks like a 7.5. However, this book looks much better to me than let's say Zoot #15 (graded at 7.5), which is structurally sound, but has low eye appeal.

WOW! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Great collection of books--it includes several of my all-time favorite covers! Are you collecting any of the LB Cole books (eg Terrors of the Jungle)?

I think I may only have one or two. I'll list them as soon as I go through the extremely tedious process of scanning, cropping, resizing, hosting, and posting. smile.gif

Thanks everyone,

Tomorrow, I'll post the Better/Nedor books, which include Thrilling, Exciting, Black Terror, Startling and Wonder Comics.

893whatthe.gif I've never seen so many hot looking women and breasts in my life! blush.gif27_laughing.gif

Sweet books - can't wait to see the rest! 893applaud-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif More great books! I'd never noticed what a transitional cover Thrilling #59 was - from Doc Strange to Jungle Girl covers. Exciting #62 is a favorite of mine when it comes to the airbrushed Scomburg covers - I really must pick up a nice copy someday.

I'm impressed that you have both Startling #49 and Wonder #15 - Classic covers in any genre! thumbsup2.gif

WOW! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Great collection of books--it includes several of my all-time favorite covers! Are you collecting any of the LB Cole books (eg Terrors of the Jungle)?

I think I may only have one or two. I'll list them as soon as I go through the extremely tedious process of scanning, cropping, resizing, hosting, and posting. smile.gif

All I can say is WOW and GET BUSY!

I have to ask, though, whether you've had a chance to read any of the Fox books before they were slabbed? The covers are great, but some of the interiors are cloud9.gif

I'm looking forward to the rest of the books!

[quote

All I can say is WOW and GET BUSY!

I have to ask, though, whether you've had a chance to read any of the Fox books before they were slabbed? The covers are great, but some of the interiors are cloud9.gif

I'm looking forward to the rest of the books!

I did read a couple of the interior stories, but definitely tried to page through the entire book. However, since I purchased a good chunk of them as slabbed, I haven't been able to look at the interior.

O.K., I'm still a little fuzzy from the Def Leppard/Bryan Adams concert last night, but I'll try to post. Def Leppard can really put on a show!!

Here are a few Fight Comics:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us