• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skybolt's Slabbed Good Girl Art Collection

1,029 posts in this topic

Another top 10 favorite gga cover for me is Torchy #4:

Have you listed all of your top 10's?

Just curious.

Actually, I haven't.

I'll give my tentative 10 for now, but with the option of changing it at any time. smile.gif

You can only look at Angelina Jolie for a time before switching to a Jessica Alba.

1.) Phantom Lady #17 - Blondes are beautiful, but I've always been more attracted to brunettes.

2.) Blue Beetle #54 - The girl is beautifully drawn by Kamen. Plus, the no strap thing adds a little intrigue.

3.) Junior Comics #14 - Very sexy cover of another hot brunette.

4.) Brenda Starr #14 - Another great cover my Kamen with the girl tied up to the radiator. When I first saw this cover I had no idea it was so highly sought after, but I can certainly see why.

5.) Torchy #4 - Probably one of the more revealing GA covers out there.

6.) Phantom Lady #23 - Almost as good as #17, but not quite.

7.) Jo-Jo #11 - I've always liked this cover more than #25.

8.) Planet Comics #53 - My favorite cover from that title.

9.) Seven Seas #4 or #6 - A virtual tie bewteen the two.

10.) Jungle Comics #85 - I could pick other Jungle or Jumbo covers, but they tend to lose their uniqueness due to the abundance of covers.

Startling #49, Wonder Comics #15, and Junior #16 just missed my list. I love the Rangers, Black Terror, Fight Comics, Thrilling and Exciting covers, but I wouldn't place them in my top 15. I guess I'm more of a Kamen/Baker fan than Schomburg when it comes to good girl art.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the books on your list. I'm partial to the Baker covers as well. His women were always beautiful and sexy without lapsing into caricature or cartoons. Interesting choice on the Jo-Jo 11. It's not one that people mention that much but I'm quite fond of it. I haven't posted in a while so I may try to get a scan of mine into the Good Girl thread.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the books on your list. I'm partial to the Baker covers as well. His women were always beautiful and sexy without lapsing into caricature or cartoons. Interesting choice on the Jo-Jo 11. It's not one that people mention that much but I'm quite fond of it. I haven't posted in a while so I may try to get a scan of mine into the Good Girl thread.

By the way, do you know anyone with a copy of Junior #14? The only decent copy (CGC 8.5) that showed up was on Heritage about a year ago, and it went for a whopping $2,900.

By the way, do you know anyone with a copy of Junior #14? The only decent copy (CGC 8.5) that showed up was on Heritage about a year ago, and it went for a whopping $2,900.

Here's my second copy of Jo-Jo #11. I couldn't bring myself to part with it when I upgraded. Plus, this copy doesn't have that intrusive date stamp on her leg.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Unfortunately not. frown.gif

I'm surprised by the price 893whatthe.gif For a vf+????

I've not picked up any of the Feldstein covers as they've always guided high. I generally went after some of the other books that were a little cheaper or were more desirable to me (e.g. Baker Phantom Lady). Now that prices have evened up a little, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. It's funny that you've posted on good girls as I was able to add a couple this year after skipping over them for other priorities in the last few years. I go in cycles I guess.

I've not picked up any of the Feldstein covers as they've always guided high. I generally went after some of the other books that were a little cheaper or were more desirable to me (e.g. Baker Phantom Lady). Now that prices have evened up a little, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. It's funny that you've posted on good girls as I was able to add a couple this year after skipping over them for other priorities in the last few years. I go in cycles I guess.

Same here. I was primarily focusing on Marvel SA key books a few years ago, and now I'm mainly collecting GGA covers. Unfortunately, due to dwindling funds, I'm taking a break from collecting for a few months (maybe longer), but when I come back I'm thinking of putting together a run of superhero vehicle lifting covers. I have a couple Actions (not #1) and Sensations, but looking through the photo journal, there seem to be plenty of other nice ones. I don't know why, but for some odd reason I've always loved those covers.

Since Spider-Man will always be my favorite character, I'm sure that at some point I'll go back and try to put a nice run together. I already own #1 in 8.0 condition, so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get the rest in around 8.0 condition and better. I figure the Spider-Man books will always be out there, so there's no rush.

Same here. I was primarily focusing on Marvel SA key books a few years ago, and now I'm mainly collecting GGA covers. Unfortunately, due to dwindling funds, I'm taking a break from collecting for a few months (maybe longer), but when I come back I'm thinking of putting together a run of superhero vehicle lifting covers. I have a couple Actions (not #1) and Sensations, but looking through the photo journal, there seem to be plenty of other nice ones. I don't know why, but for some odd reason I've always loved those covers.

Since Spider-Man will always be my favorite character, I'm sure that at some point I'll go back and try to put a nice run together. I already own #1 in 8.0 condition, so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get the rest in around 8.0 condition and better. I figure the Spider-Man books will always be out there, so there's no rush.

The "car lift" cover idea sounds neat. We'll look forward to Skybolt's Superhero Auto Mechanic Thread in 2008! I've always thought there would be more topic collecting as the comics got more expensive and people had to have a way to choose which books to get.

I used to have a run of Spidey's but decided many years back that it might be more fun to focus on the old cool stuff. I don't regret that one bit, but I still understand the appeal of those Ditko/Romita/Lee comics.

gossip.gif JoJo 11 is posted in Good Girl thread.

The "car lift" cover idea sounds neat. We'll look forward to Skybolt's Superhero Auto Mechanic Thread in 2008! I've always thought there would be more topic collecting as the comics got more expensive and people had to have a way to choose which books to get.

I used to have a run of Spidey's but decided many years back that it might be more fun to focus on the old cool stuff. I don't regret that one bit, but I still understand the appeal of those Ditko/Romita/Lee comics.

Between you and me, we'll give that book some well deserved recognition. thumbsup2.gif

Between you and me, we'll give that book some well deserved recognition. thumbsup2.gif

Speaking of the girl on the cover, I'm thinking that there has to be an easier way to work on your abs!

I didn't have time to re-read the stories in it but I do remember that one was about burying people up to their necks in the sand and then having men on horseback try to spear a head with their lance. Of course, they managed to succeed in one or two cases where they show the severed head with some blood dripping from the neck.

Fox books. Entertainment for the whole family. thumbsup2.gif

I've posted a lot of these before in the late, lamented Fiction House thread, but this is a GREAT good girl book. Sheena. Got. Back.

jumbo82.jpg

And its good to know who the [embarrasing lack of self control] is who's beating me on all the bondage cover book auctions. grin.gif

Finally got my last batch back from PGX. I must say that I was really disappointed with some of the grades given. They were way too harsh on minor tears, tanning and small missing pieces on GA books. They seem to grade GA books like MA's and BA's. Anyway, I think I'll stick with CGC from now on:

Here are a few Jumbo's:

Wow, more great stuff, awesome! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just out of curiosity, what made you go with PGX for these? I've never sent them any GA, for fear that they would miss resto. Though they do make a purty holder..

If I'm being completely honest, it was only due to 2 reasons:

1.) Since I've been wanting to put this thread together for almost a year, I just couldn't wait another 4 months for books that averaged around $100/$125 each. Most of these books were purchased from major dealers as unrestored, so I figured if there was restoration, it'd be minimal at best. This was the case with one of the books I'll be posting tonight, which PGX found minor color touch on.

2.) CGC really needs to fix the overhang issue. I really wanted my Thrilling Comics #59, Black Terror #20, etc. in a slab holders. Unfortunately, since they had overhang and were rejected by CGC, I had no choice but to use PGX.

I love this thread, one of the best threads going. I actually think it's a good sign from an overall perspective that PGX is grading tough, I think CGC,along with most dealers, has relaxed standards for golden age and that there needs to be a uniform standard for all books, modern,bronze, silver and gold. I don't care how scarce golden age is. I know it hurts and that everyone wants their books to be a higher grade but I think it shows a certain amount of integrity on PGX's part.As a buyer, I would want to buy books graded by a company with stricter grading standards and a better holder. Almost every CGC book I've had has had some form of corner damage on the book.

Now understand that I collect only golden age, I've never submitted to PGX, I don't know anyone from PGX and I've only owned a half dozen or so CGC graded books, all which I've cracked or sold and I pretty much like my books raw.I know I've been harping lately on how CGC needs to have competition and so I'm pulling for PGX to become a resectable alternative to CGC.