• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skybolt's Slabbed Good Girl Art Collection

1,029 posts in this topic

Your Wings 90 and 91 are sweet... I only wish mine looked that good.

In both cases, I had to pay way over guide to get them (the O.S. guide definitely has to be adjusted for some classic GA covers).

Wings #90 was purchased from Basement Comics, and has a slight roll to the right edge of the book (not the spine).

Skybolt;

Kudos to you for being able to amass such a nice looking GA collection in such a short period of time. I guess this goes to show that you can indeed put together some pretty sharp looking runs as long as you aren't consistently going after the 9.x+ graded books.

Congrats on your Wings #90 since I have spent years looking for a high grade copy (at a reasonable price) without any success. Would you believe that Basement Comics had their Lost Valley 9.0 CGC graded copy priced at only $450. No wonder why it was gone by the time I had given them a call about it.

Thanks again for sharing! thumbsup2.gif

In both cases, I had to pay way over guide to get them (the O.S. guide definitely has to be adjusted for some classic GA covers).

Wings #90 was purchased from Basement Comics, and has a slight roll to the right edge of the book (not the spine).

Skybolt;

Kudos to you for being able to amass such a nice looking GA collection in such a short period of time. I guess this goes to show that you can indeed put together some pretty sharp looking runs as long as you aren't consistently going after the 9.x+ graded books.

Congrats on your Wings #90 since I have spent years looking for a high grade copy (at a reasonable price) without any success. Would you believe that Basement Comics had their Lost Valley 9.0 CGC graded copy priced at only $450. No wonder why it was gone by the time I had given them a call about it.

Are you kidding me. 893whatthe.gif When did this happen?

I also purchased my copy from them at around 4X guide. They had listed it as a FN-. When I received the book, I knew it was slightly undergraded. I also purchased my Phantom Lady #15 copy from them. They had that one listed as VG++. It came back a 6.0.

Skybolt;

I also purchased my copy from them at around 4X guide. They had listed it as a FN-. When I received the book, I knew it was slightly undergraded. I also purchased my Phantom Lady #15 copy from them. They had that one listed as VG++. It came back a 6.0.

Skybolt,

You was right. I just checked the Lost Valley catalogue and the price I quoted of $450 was incorrect. The actual price was $475 for a CGC 9.0 graded book. 27_laughing.gif

The stupid thing is that el cheapo me still spent a few hours thinking about it before I gave him a telephone call since the top guide price at the time was only $190. screwy.gif

Not surprisingly, Al informed me that the Wings #90 was one of the most asked about books from the catalogue and one of the first one to sell.

Skybolt,

You was right. I just checked the Lost Valley catalogue and the price I quoted of $450 was incorrect. The actual price was $475 for a CGC 9.0 graded book. 27_laughing.gif

The stupid thing is that el cheapo me still spent a few hours thinking about it before I gave him a telephone call since the top guide price at the time was only $190. screwy.gif

Not surprisingly, Al informed me that the Wings #90 was one of the most asked about books from the catalogue and one of the first one to sell.

foreheadslap.gif That would've given me nightmares, but unfortunately, these things happen.

Now that I've posted these books, here are my favorite gga covers from each title. I hope others will chime in as well, especially if you have a Gerber Photo Journal handy:

All Top Comics - Has to be #8.

Rulah - It was a close call, but I do like #21. Unfortunately, my copy is [embarrasing lack of self control].

Zoot - #11

Jo-Jo - #11

Blue Beetle - #54

Phantom Lady - #17 followed closely by #23

Junior - Has to be #14 (which I'm missing).

Dagar - #14

Zago - Tough call between #2 and #4, but I like Kamen's #2 better.

Thrilling - I like #70

Exciting - #62, although #59 is nice too.

Startling - Has to be #49

Wonder - Close call bewteen #13, 14 and 15. I'll go with #15.

Black Terror - I really like #20

Fight Comics - I'm really stumped on this one. I don't think it's any of the ones I posted.

Rangers Comics - #26

Planet Comics - #53 by a hair over many others.

Wings Comics - #90

Sheena - #9

Ka'a'nga - #20 (nice headlights)

Jumbo - There's no way I can pick. I like #133 from the ones I posted, but I've seen better.

Jungle Comics - #85

Brenda Starr - #14 (no doubt about this one)

Seven Seas - Another tough call between #4 and #6. I have to go with #4.

Cow Puncher - #2, but not bu much

Terrors of the Jungle - #21

Torchy - Definitely #4.

Blonde Phantom - I really can't pick. I think #19 is good.

The Saint - #1 hands down.

Firehair - #6

Surprisingly, I hate the cover on this book. It looks too "unnatural" I guess and her facial expression is very weird. confused-smiley-013.gif

Skybolt;

Wings 90 Lost Valley just sold on ebay for 550 (still CGC 9.0).

I love the Seven Seas 6 -- one of Baker's loveliest lasses. cloud9.gif The original art exists and has traded hands a couple times in the last 10 years. Unfortunately it has a lot of white-out that distracts from the "better features."

You're doing great! Keep 'em coming!

Another top 10 favorite gga cover for me is Torchy #4:

Have you listed all of your top 10's?

Just curious.

Wings 90 Lost Valley just sold on ebay for 550 (still CGC 9.0).

I love the Seven Seas 6 -- one of Baker's loveliest lasses. cloud9.gif The original art exists and has traded hands a couple times in the last 10 years. Unfortunately it has a lot of white-out that distracts from the "better features."

You're doing great! Keep 'em coming!

Oh, come on Adam! Don't give me depressing news like this.

I guess I should get around to checking eBay more than once a year. I have to get off my duff and spend more time checking eBay instead of spending time here.

Do you have a link for this particular auction since the front end of eBay seems to have change since the last time I went on and I can't seem to find this particular auction?

Thanks and next time, let me know BEFORE the auction ends. thumbsup2.gif27_laughing.gif

Another top 10 favorite gga cover for me is Torchy #4:

Have you listed all of your top 10's?

Just curious.

Actually, I haven't.

I'll give my tentative 10 for now, but with the option of changing it at any time. smile.gif

You can only look at Angelina Jolie for a time before switching to a Jessica Alba.

1.) Phantom Lady #17 - Blondes are beautiful, but I've always been more attracted to brunettes.

2.) Blue Beetle #54 - The girl is beautifully drawn by Kamen. Plus, the no strap thing adds a little intrigue.

3.) Junior Comics #14 - Very sexy cover of another hot brunette.

4.) Brenda Starr #14 - Another great cover my Kamen with the girl tied up to the radiator. When I first saw this cover I had no idea it was so highly sought after, but I can certainly see why.

5.) Torchy #4 - Probably one of the more revealing GA covers out there.

6.) Phantom Lady #23 - Almost as good as #17, but not quite.

7.) Jo-Jo #11 - I've always liked this cover more than #25.

8.) Planet Comics #53 - My favorite cover from that title.

9.) Seven Seas #4 or #6 - A virtual tie bewteen the two.

10.) Jungle Comics #85 - I could pick other Jungle or Jumbo covers, but they tend to lose their uniqueness due to the abundance of covers.

Startling #49, Wonder Comics #15, and Junior #16 just missed my list. I love the Rangers, Black Terror, Fight Comics, Thrilling and Exciting covers, but I wouldn't place them in my top 15. I guess I'm more of a Kamen/Baker fan than Schomburg when it comes to good girl art.