• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skybolt's Slabbed Good Girl Art Collection

1,029 posts in this topic

I love this thread, one of the best threads going. I actually think it's a good sign from an overall perspective that PGX is grading tough, I think CGC,along with most dealers, has relaxed standards for golden age and that there needs to be a uniform standard for all books, modern,bronze, silver and gold. I don't care how scarce golden age is. I know it hurts and that everyone wants their books to be a higher grade but I think it shows a certain amount of integrity on PGX's part.As a buyer, I would want to buy books graded by a company with stricter grading standards and a better holder. Almost every CGC book I've had has had some form of corner damage on the book.

Now understand that I collect only golden age, I've never submitted to PGX, I don't know anyone from PGX and I've only owned a half dozen or so CGC graded books, all which I've cracked or sold and I pretty much like my books raw.I know I've been harping lately on how CGC needs to have competition and so I'm pulling for PGX to become a resectable alternative to CGC.

You bring up some very good points. My main problem with PGX's grading has more to do with their inconsistency than anything else. For instance, if I purchase a 7.5 graded book from Metro, then there's a good chance it will come back a 7.0/7.5 from CGC. I can live with this result.

However, with PGX it's really hard to gauge what their grading criteria is like. For instance, the Jumbo #123 was graded by Four Color Comics or Bedrock City (I can't remember which one) as 7.5, while another Jungle book, which I'll list later, was graded at 7.0. When I compared these raw books in hand, I could see that one book was slightly better than the other (maybe 1.0 point higher at most). Once I received these books from PGX, the Jumbo #123 was graded as 8.5, while the Jungle book was graded as 5.0 (among others that were graded as 6.0). There's is no way in hell that the #123 is 3.5 points higher than the Jungle book in question. Since I've sent over 200 books to CGC to be graded, I would guarantee that the grades achieved for the 2 books would be much closer. I guess I'm just looking for a little uniformity when I'm buying from a dealer (even if they slightly overgrade).

In all honesty, I really don't think a GA book with OW-W pages, glossy cover, great eye appeal, but with a 1/4" tear should be downgraded to a 6.0 after 60 years of existence, while another structurally sound book with tanning pages, dull colors, etc. be given a 9.0. I think that modern and bronze books should be graded harshly due to the tear, since there are many great looking copies out there where a small tear would really outcast the book. I don't mind if all GA books are graded harshly, and the top of census is a 7.0, but I do mind if the overall QP of the book is not taken into factor when grading the book. I guess CGC also has problems with this issue, but IMO not to this extent.

I see your point and I agree with you about the" tear" issues as compared to the "dull,tanning issues.A big issue for me is how much life and durability does the book have left. Anyway, I see all your points as very valid and informative and want to thank you for all the great scans and letting us enjoy along with you your passion for the hobby.

I see your point and I agree with you about the" tear" issues as compared to the "dull,tanning issues.A big issue for me is how much life and durability does the book have left. Anyway, I see all your points as very valid and informative and want to thank you for all the great scans and letting us enjoy along with you your passion for the hobby.

thumbsup2.gif

Now if I can only read more books. When I was in my teens and 20's I would read every single book I purchased. However, these days I don't feel like a complete collecter since I only read a few issues. confused.gif

I don't mind if all GA books are graded harshly, and the top of census is a 7.0, but I do mind if the overall QP of the book is not taken into factor when grading the book. I guess CGC also has problems with this issue, but IMO not to this extent.

I believe that CGC does take page quality into account in its grading of extremely high grade books. For example, I am not aware of any CGC 9.8 that has less than off-white pages. Furthermore, on books below 9.8, by providing the page quality separately, CGC enables the customer to evaluate the condition of the book separate and apart from the page quality. In other words, it's nice to know whether a book has hidden/unhidden flaws that take it down to a 7.0 without wondering whether it was marked down solely because it has tan to cream pages.

I don't mind if all GA books are graded harshly, and the top of census is a 7.0, but I do mind if the overall QP of the book is not taken into factor when grading the book. I guess CGC also has problems with this issue, but IMO not to this extent.

I believe that CGC does take page quality into account in its grading of extremely high grade books. For example, I am not aware of any CGC 9.8 that has less than off-white pages. Furthermore, on books below 9.8, by providing the page quality separately, CGC enables the customer to evaluate the condition of the book separate and apart from the page quality. In other words, it's nice to know whether a book has hidden/unhidden flaws that take it down to a 7.0 without wondering whether it was marked down solely because it has tan to cream pages.

I completely agree with your statement regarding page quality. However, I was more concerned with the QP (Quality of Production/Presentation) of the book. I typically don't mind miscuts on GA books since they're fairly common, but loss of color on the front cover is a huge defect. I think CGC downgrades for that, but I'm not too sure about PGX. As far as page quality is concerned, I would like to mention that the Fight Comics #40 I posted earlier was purchased as an 8.0 from a dealer. Structurally, the book looked like an 8.0 (no tears, stains, etc.). However, since the book has brittle pages, it was downgraded to a 4.0 by CGC. This issue creates a dilemma because a prospective buyer would think that the brittle pages are in addition to the book being a 4.0 structurally, which is not the case. I guess once you get beyond tanned or cream pages, the page quality does play a factor in the final grade, even if it's a mid grade book.

So are you generally happy that you now have slabbed books for your viewing pleasure, or given the chance to go back in time, would you send the books to CGC with the higher rates and turnaround time?

So are you generally happy that you now have slabbed books for your viewing pleasure, or given the chance to go back in time, would you send the books to CGC with the higher rates and turnaround time?

Thank you,

I hate admitting this, but I typically collect GA books for the covers and nostalgia feel only. Therefore, having them slabbed doesn't bother me too much. I grew up reading Marvels (Spidey, X-Men, Avengers), so those will always be my favorite titles for reading purposes.

As far as CGC vs. PGX in concerned, the difference in price for economies ($24 with 20% discount for CGC vs. $20 for PGX) did not have an impact on my decision. The turnaround time was definitely a deciding factor since I wanted all the books to be completely slabbed before I made other purchases, as the cycle continued. However, the only GA books I'll submit to PGX from now on will be ones with overhang. I'd like to stick with CGC since they'll probably be around a lot longer than PGX. Plus, I just can't imagine having my Spidey and X-Men #' 1's in a PGX slab. Their value would fluctuate tremendously depending on how much faith people have in PGX's resto check and grading.

That being said, if I purchased a long box with some pre 1975 HG SA/BA DC and Marvel titles, that guide around $10 to $50 each, I may consider sending them to PGX since they only charge $14 for SA grading. At least if my Defenders #15 comes back a 9.2/9.4 I can still regain my slabbing fees.

Finally got my last batch back from PGX. I must say that I was really disappointed with some of the grades given. They were way too harsh on minor tears, tanning and small missing pieces on GA books. They seem to grade GA books like MA's and BA's. Anyway, I think I'll stick with CGC from now on:

Here are a few Jumbo's:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

These are all nice books although many I would have kept in mylars. The reason is like you I find the GA grading all over the place (my experience is mostly with CGC) and if I intend to keep the book, and if it's mid grade I don't care what CGC says and get PO's when a book comes back with an unexplainable grade. I admit I ahve no idea how the hell CGC grades GA, and HG GA seems a big crapshoot. Some insignificant defect on page 4 knocks a GA book down to 6.0 when the cover is 9.0- please. Then some POS high profile book that has chunks of the cover missing is a 4.0- this [embarrasing lack of self control] really turns me off to CGC. So I buy graded books that look accurately graded or undergraded, and once a year I submit my 3 raw books using the express coupon books to CGC.

Occasionally, I get a book GA book slabbed because I'm curious about resto or it actually looks better in a slab and it's vulnerable in a mylar. For example I got a Rocket to the Moon slabbed because I wasn;t sure of resto, it had one page exending one inch further then the others and also had the lower staple missing. Looked VG but the page sticking out was annoying and the some total of defects almost put it into POS category. Came back 4.5 blue and looks better in the slab than in the mylar because the page sticking out didn;t look as extreme and the book looks "solid" in the slab. I also slabbed this Mystery Comics #3:

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.asp?id=593717

Tomis at CL was right this book was a 7.0 but it came back from CGC a 5.5 (i was expecting an 8.0 based on what I've been seeing lately), I can only assume the small piece out of the 1st page got it hammered. Or something else I can't figure out. Now I've seen books with a bigger piece out the front cover get a 5.5 or better from CGC.

Like you, I buy based on eye appeal, cool covers, and nostalgia. I would like to learn more of the history of GA books and their market, and find this forum great. Keep them coming, and I'd appreciate discussion on how "tough" everyone thinks different books are.

I won this off Ebay last week. As Whomerjay explained above, some books look much nicer in person than the grade given to them. This one is a real good example. Maybe there's something wrong with the interior. confused-smiley-013.gif

I won this off Ebay last week. As Whomerjay explained above, some books look much nicer in person than the grade given to them. This one is a real good example. Maybe there's something wrong with the interior. confused-smiley-013.gif

My CGC 7.0 doesn't look as good as your 5.5. We need to call for notes, for what it's worth.

That's a really sweet book! Congrats! thumbsup2.gif

These are all nice books although many I would have kept in mylars. The reason is like you I find the GA grading all over the place (my experience is mostly with CGC) and if I intend to keep the book, and if it's mid grade I don't care what CGC says and get PO's when a book comes back with an unexplainable grade. I admit I ahve no idea how the hell CGC grades GA, and HG GA seems a big crapshoot. Some insignificant defect on page 4 knocks a GA book down to 6.0 when the cover is 9.0- please. Then some POS high profile book that has chunks of the cover missing is a 4.0- this [embarrasing lack of self control] really turns me off to CGC. So I buy graded books that look accurately graded or undergraded, and once a year I submit my 3 raw books using the express coupon books to CGC.

Occasionally, I get a book GA book slabbed because I'm curious about resto or it actually looks better in a slab and it's vulnerable in a mylar. For example I got a Rocket to the Moon slabbed because I wasn;t sure of resto, it had one page exending one inch further then the others and also had the lower staple missing. Looked VG but the page sticking out was annoying and the some total of defects almost put it into POS category. Came back 4.5 blue and looks better in the slab than in the mylar because the page sticking out didn;t look as extreme and the book looks "solid" in the slab. I also slabbed this Mystery Comics #3:

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.asp?id=593717

Tomis at CL was right this book was a 7.0 but it came back from CGC a 5.5 (i was expecting an 8.0 based on what I've been seeing lately), I can only assume the small piece out of the 1st page got it hammered. Or something else I can't figure out. Now I've seen books with a bigger piece out the front cover get a 5.5 or better from CGC.

Like you, I buy based on eye appeal, cool covers, and nostalgia. I would like to learn more of the history of GA books and their market, and find this forum great. Keep them coming, and I'd appreciate discussion on how "tough" everyone thinks different books are.

If I'm being honest, I really can't give a good reason why someone should slab their mid grade GA books if they're not selling them. I think the CGC bug has affected recent back issue collectors like myself moreso than ones who've been enjoying the hobby for years without CGC. Another reason is because I'm terrible at storing books in mylar. One time I had only filled 3/4 of a long box with books, and they had all leaned on each other causing some of the front books to bend. I also dropped my perfectly nice Tales of Suspense #40 while taking it out the mylar causing it to go down to 6.5 when I sent it to CGC. Even though I'm a cluts, I still haven't had any problems with handling CGC books.

As far as which books are harder to obtain, I'd say that Sheena, Jungle and Jumbo are fairly easy once you get beyond the early issues. The hardest ones are probably Blue Beetle #54, most of the Junior books, Phantom Lady #23, Wings #91 in HG, Brenda Starr #14, and Seven Seas #3-6. I also had problems finding the Cow Puncher books for some odd reason.