• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Marvel does own the characters, but Netflix owns that iteration.  They developed that particular version of a Marvel character. 

I'm going to disagree and say that this is not a true statement.  Netflix doesn't own anything regarding Intellectual Property of the character itself, though they do own distribution and broadcast rights to the actual series they produced (based on whatever agreement they made initially regarding these two items with Disney).  However, Disney can do what they want with the Charlie Cox/Daredvil character, as they still own the overall IP.  There is nothing stopping Disney from continuing that story if they so choose.

This is especially true given that the 2 year CONTRACTUAL agreement with Netflix has expired.  That contract kept Disney from using these Netflix characters within the MCU until November, 2020 (last month).  However, we're talking about a contract, which is FAR different than actual ownership.

I'd say the only thing Disney could not do is develop another Daredevil series using the same exact storyline and same exact scripts that were produced by Netflix.  Netflix surely owns the copyright on those specific works, but that doesn't mean they own the whole iteration of that character's IP.  Again, nothing stopping Disney from producing additional stories that build upon what Netflix has done.

42 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

I'd say the only thing Disney could not do is develop another Daredevil series using the same exact storyline and same exact scripts that were produced by Netflix.  Netflix surely owns the copyright on those specific works, but that doesn't mean they own the whole iteration of that character's IP.  Again, nothing stopping Disney from producing additional stories that build upon what Netflix has done.

But wouldn't that be the iteration of that character?  That exact background?  That exact version of events in the sequence that they played out? 

I am questioning... not preaching... 

Edited by Buzzetta

I’m excited about Charlie Cox coming back as DD - that was my favorite marvel  Netflix series (honorable mention Luke Cage and Jessica Jones season 1, punisher was good but too SJW) I’ve heard rumblings of Jon Bernthal coming back as an iteration of War Machine for awhile now ....

I was confused before - now I'm just lost!

So 3 Spideys

Dr Strange

MJ

Aunt May

Doc Ock

Electro

Kingpin

Daredevil

And now War Machine?

Any odds on Howard the Duck?

No war machine here , from what I heard - maybe new avengers - I’d be surprised to have him here - but DD would be the key to introducing the rest of the NY Defenders crew  This is all residual from “ the snap “ and success of spider verse 

Edited by Old_Man_Adam

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

But wouldn't that be the iteration of that character?  That exact background?  That exact version of events in the sequence that they played out? 

I am questioning... not preaching... 

Yes, it would be an iteration of the character... a character that, at the end of the day, is still owned by Disney.

So what can't Disney do here?  I can think of a couple things...
Disney can't stream any of the Netflix Daredevil shows on Disney+ or any of their affiliated, Disney-owned networks (that is, without a contract in place with Netflix to do so).
Disney can't produce a television show (or any other medium) where the exact storyline of the Netflix series is retold (regardless of who's acting).  They could, however, create their own Season 4 as a continuation of the original series.  This isn't a great example, but think of this like Taylor Swift re-recording all of her songs from her original albums.  Disney can't do that, Taylor Swift can.  (I can elaborate on "why" if you want me to).

Now, depending on the original licensing agreement, Disney may or may not have been able to use any NEW characters created by Netflix that was used within the show, though I'm not aware of any that were Netflix-created.  Obviously, characters like Elektra, the Kingpin, Foggy Nelson, and Karen Page were already established Marvel characters prior to the show.  However, let's say the show introduced a character that was Daredevil's daughter DeeDee... depending on the agreement between Disney and Netflix, DeeDee could actually be owned by Netflix.  However, it'd actually be more likely that Disney addressed this in the initial contract and stated that any new character introduced in the show would be Disney property... or they just restricted the use and creation of any new characters.

This last point is the exact reason She-Hulk was created by Marvel in 1980... to beat CBS or Universal to the punch from creating the character in the Lou Ferrigno Hulk television show.  If She-Hulk was created in the show first, the rights to that character would have belonged with the show and not Marvel.  Again, this was based on the contract agreements that were made at the time.

To a similar extent, this is also why you may have always heard rumors of the moratorium Marvel placed on creating new characters for the X-Men.  Per their contract, Fox had the rights to use any "mutant" character in Marvel's library for their X-Men movies.  Supposedly, Marvel execs didn't want to create any new mutants characters for fear that the character would become popular and Fox would be able to profit off of it.  Again, Marvel would still have owned the IP, but Fox could use any of that IP per the original contract.

All of this is speculative on my part.  I'm no lawyer, nor have I seen or read any of these contracts that were signed behind closed doors between Disney and Netflix.

14 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I was actually thinking of other films etc. that deal with the idea of interdimensional travel and thought of David Lynch's Twin Peaks. Particularly the new Return series. There, beings cross over from our world to the other world, or the Black Lodge, through electricity. I wonder if the MCU may borrow this idea and have Electro cross over to our universe via electricity? Something needs to jumpstart Spidey and Doc Strange's journey into the Spiderverse and that seems like a plausible speculation.

I have never seen anything involving the idea, but his 'disappearance' when supercharged was one of the many criticisms I had of ASM2. It would be a sort of improvement via retcon, if what you say has been explored in other titles, and happens within the MCU.

I saw a cool concept in which Garfield's Spider-Man never gets over Gwen's death, and embraces the Venom symbiote.

If done correctly (obv), all 3 Spider-Men vs the Sinister Six could work, but I am extremely pessimistic about that. I suspect that it would have to be a very long movie for a solo-titled film.

It's also possible that all of these Multiverse characters are simply making post-credit appearances, to setup Spider-Man 4, or the next Avengers.

Spider-Men from different ages is very interesting to me, though. One in high school, one post-high school, and one post-college.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Spider-Man 3 is supposed to directly lead into Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

It may give some perspective to the events that occur in Doctor Strange 2 then, but Spider-Man's journey will likely continue elsewhere.

56 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

It may give some perspective to the events that occur in Doctor Strange 2 then, but Spider-Man's journey will likely continue elsewhere.

The new deal between Sony and Disney allows Sony to use Tom Holland's Spider-Man in the Sony Venom universe movies. So if Peter Parker's adventures continue beyond SM3 and DS2, for the near future at least, we know we will see Spider-Man take on Venom, Carnage, Moebius, etc. in the Venom movies. Maybe Spider-Man will take on a Venomized version of the Sinister Six.

10 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Spider-Man 3 is supposed to directly lead into Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

Since when? Prior to COVID-19, Multiverse of Madness was scheduled to release before Spider-Man 3.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
English.

40 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Since when? Prior to COVID-19, Multiverse of Madness was scheduled to release before Spider-Man 3.

Referencing the recent news feeds, Kevin Feige at the shareholder's meeting said that the events of Spider-Man 3 lead into Doctor Strange 2, but it wasn't confirmed that Tom Holland will appear in DS2. So Spider-Man may or may not show up in DS2. I'll tentatively walk that back. But Spidey oughta show up given that Sam Raimi is directing the movie.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Referencing the recent news feeds, Kevin Feige at the shareholder's meeting said that the events of Spider-Man 3 lead into Doctor Strange 2, but it wasn't confirmed that Tom Holland will appear in DS2. So Spider-Man may or may not show up in DS2. I'll tentatively walk that back. But Spidey oughta show up given that Sam Raimi is directing the movie.

Almost every MCU movie ever has "led into" the next one. lol

I guess, if you're a shareholder and don't know jack-s^&*, you do need to be told that 2 Multiversal movies are directly related to one another...