• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2022 at 8:43 AM, gadzukes said:

I've got a friend with an Art History degree.  

In the wild he's found an original Degas sketch (thrift store for $10), more than one original Picasso sketch, an original Alexander Caulder mobile (crumpled in someone's front yard he recognized the pieces and asked them if they wanted to get rid of it.... they said $1000 and it was his), and a trove of multiple Basquiot paintings.  

The guy has a nose for sniffing out and finding original art from the masters.

He's definitely not flipping burgers.  

That's not a unique experience among those with Art History degrees. I've certainly used it to get into situations above my normal paygrade.

I found an original Mel Ramos, and help make the deal with Heritage among other finds.
But overall I wouldn't recommend the degree without a Business or Art Studio/Design degree to go with it.

Or at least be very good speaker and diligent about what you want to do with it.

On 9/11/2022 at 1:43 PM, D84 said:

And you have proof of this?

Yup... but I'm not going to submit any of it to you. You can choose to believe me or not.  I don't care.

My friend struggled to authenticate his Caulder Mobile because the experts in the art world are such snobs.  "Off the record" they all told him it not only was real, but was an early one that Alexander actually personally did the welding on.  He told me when he presented it to Caulder's son, the son actually asked him to give the sculpture to him. When he said no, the son said he would never sign off on the authentication (which had to go thru him).  My friend ended up selling it to a Saudi for slightly over a million as an (un-authenticated Caulder piece).  But it may have been worth about $50 mil (if authenticated).

The Basquiats he found were similar.  He struggled for authentication (again because the art world is filled with hypocrites and snobs).  In a brilliant move he had forensic work done on one of the pieces where he thought he saw a fingerprint.  Bingo!  Basquiat's finger prints are in the database and matched the one on the painting.

I virtually never hear from this friend anymore.  He's a bit of a hermit.  But a couple years ago he emailed me to say he wanted to buy an Action 1 and a Detective 27 (he's a comic fan too).  This is before he told me about the Basquiat find.  I texted him back and told him it would take millions to buy those comics (I thought his email was a joke).  His response to me was "I think I'm a Billionaire now".  When I asked him about it he told me about the Basquiat find and how he proved the provenance.

He's actually done some exhibitions of some the Basquiat pieces in GA at some galleries.  I'm not going to link any of it cuz he's trying to stay as low profile as possible.  

It all seems impossible, but it's real.

Edited by gadzukes

In the wild he's found an original Degas sketch (thrift store for $10), more than one original Picasso sketch, an original Alexander Caulder mobile (crumpled in someone's front yard he recognized the pieces and asked them if they wanted to get rid of it.... they said $1000 and it was his), and a trove of multiple Basquiot paintings.  

An Art History degree  is most important in developing excellent expository writing skills and their creative abilities at word smithing is usually beyond reproach of any writing discipline...close to it anyway...the discipline tends to attract very talented writers and they can go onto highly meaningful writing careers or they use their skills to branch off into different disciplines in graduate school and thus different careers...because, I reiterate, they have developed highly skilled writing abilities

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 9/12/2022 at 6:10 PM, piper said:

Long live New Rock Stars You Tube Videos!

I never thought of that minor character with all those crazy questions having a much deeper motive. That reviewer definitely put deep thought into his research.

On 9/12/2022 at 6:38 PM, The Meta said:

Research being fanfiction

If you select the more credible accounts, you get information versus misinformation. Dismissing all Youtube videos as fake, you may miss out on yet another source of information.

Trust me. There is an ocean of bad information across Youtube. I'd like to think I'm referencing those with more than that going for them.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

If you select the more credible accounts, you get information versus misinformation. Dismissing all Youtube videos as fake, you may miss out on yet another source of information.

Trust me. There is an ocean of bad information across Youtube. I'd like to think I'm referencing those with more than that going for them.

Fair enough 

Personally, its all the same to me

Good for them monetizing and supporting, what I feel, is a useless niche.

Tabloid, gossip, media machine

On 9/12/2022 at 6:51 PM, The Meta said:

Fair enough 

Personally, its all the same to me

Good for them monetizing and supporting, what I feel, is a useless niche.

Tabloid, gossip, media machine

Oh, I understand.

There are many of those accounts that are just rumor mills for fancastings or even bashing properties just for the sake of ugly posts. But even crazier where what they post, they truly believe this garbage. That's where you wish social media would have some form of verification process. Otherwise, they can feed this trash non-stop and even find sufficient followers to gain credibility through numbers.

One person on Twitter has so many accounts where as each gets shut down then they ramp up the posting through one of their 'follower accounts', clearly revealing how much of accounts on there are fake.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

I never thought of that minor character with all those crazy questions having a much deeper motive. That reviewer definitely put deep thought into his research.

They are definitely Comic Book fans but very knowledgeable ones. These aren’t hacks throwing things at the wall…

In the wild he's found an original Degas sketch (thrift store for $10), more than one original Picasso sketch, an original Alexander Caulder mobile (crumpled in someone's front yard he recognized the pieces and asked them if they wanted to get rid of it.... they said $1000 and it was his), and a trove of multiple Basquiat paintings.  

Original Picassos  can only be authenticated by the family which hardly ever happens.  He found what he thinks is an original picasso, is all he can say.

On 9/12/2022 at 10:14 PM, kav said:

Original Picassos  can only be authenticated by the family which hardly ever happens.  He found what he thinks is an original picasso, is all he can say.

Picasso had some rare limited edition "signed" art books published.  In some of the books, besides his signature he put one of his famously simple 5 second drawings.  My friend has found 2 of those books with the quick sketch.  Yes, I suppose you can argue that the simple sketch was faked (even though the sketch medium seems to match the signature medium), but the limited edition signed book is real (and rare).  

My friend has spent years collecting these giant limited signed art books from scores of artists, because he's found, not all but many of them, have added sketches in them.  

On a smaller scale, I have bought a few collections of comics... and when I was slowly going thru them later I found some comics that were signed and had a small sketch on the cover. I found a few Bone comics this way that Jeff Smith drew on.

Edited by gadzukes

On 9/12/2022 at 8:01 PM, gadzukes said:

Picasso had some rare limited edition "signed" art books published.  In some of the books, besides his signature he put one of his famously simple 5 second drawings.  My friend has found 2 of those books with the quick sketch.  Yes, I suppose you can argue that the simple sketch was faked (even though the sketch medium seems to match the signature medium), but the limited edition signed book is real (and rare).  

My friend has spent years collecting these giant limited signed art books from scores of artists, because he's found, not all but many of them, have added sketches in them.  

I'm certain they are reall it just sucks that the family refuses to authenticate.  My friend knows someone with an absolutely authentic picasso drawing from his early years and he is stuck.  The family wont authenticate.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:03 PM, kav said:

I'm certain they are reall it just sucks that the family refuses to authenticate.  My friend knows someone with an absolutely authentic picasso drawing from his early years and he is stuck.  The family wont authenticate.

This has been the story with my friend's finds (like with the Caulder Mobile).

But with the Basquiot painting he brilliantly found the fingerprint on the painting.

On 9/12/2022 at 8:06 PM, gadzukes said:

This has been the story with my friend's finds (like with the Caulder Mobile).

But with the Basquiot painting he brilliantly found the fingerprint on the painting.

holy-

On 9/12/2022 at 10:21 AM, gadzukes said:

Yup... but I'm not going to submit any of it to you. You can choose to believe me or not.  I don't care.

My friend struggled to authenticate his Caulder Mobile because the experts in the art world are such snobs.  "Off the record" they all told him it not only was real, but was an early one that Alexander actually personally did the welding on.  He told me when he presented it to Caulder's son, the son actually asked him to give the sculpture to him. When he said no, the son said he would never sign off on the authentication (which had to go thru him).  My friend ended up selling it to a Saudi for slightly over a million as an (un-authenticated Caulder piece).  But it may have been worth about $50 mil (if authenticated).

The Basquiats he found were similar.  He struggled for authentication (again because the art world is filled with hypocrites and snobs).  In a brilliant move he had forensic work done on one of the pieces where he thought he saw a fingerprint.  Bingo!  Basquiat's finger prints are in the database and matched the one on the painting.

I virtually never hear from this friend anymore.  He's a bit of a hermit.  But a couple years ago he emailed me to say he wanted to buy an Action 1 and a Detective 27 (he's a comic fan too).  This is before he told me about the Basquiat find.  I texted him back and told him it would take millions to buy those comics (I thought his email was a joke).  His response to me was "I think I'm a Billionaire now".  When I asked him about it he told me about the Basquiat find and how he proved the provenance.

He's actually done some exhibitions of some the Basquiat pieces in GA at some galleries.  I'm not going to link any of it cuz he's trying to stay as low profile as possible.  

It all seems impossible, but it's real.

Christies would get them all authenticated, for a 50% cut.