• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

Watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just had a great time watching it.

To the naysayers pointing out scientific issues I will say the same thing I said to Steve Higgins (owner of Outer Limits comic book shop in Waltham MA) when he was commenting on the ridiculousness of the talking dolphin in the new Seaquest DSV tv show that came out at the same time as Lois and Clark The New Adventures of Superman: "So you are saying a talking dolphin is absurd but a child from another planet shot to earth from a rocket getting super powers and virtual invincibility from a yellow sun is normal?" 

And to the canonical observers, without change or retconning we would never get past the Grey Hulk in #1 from 1962. So quit'yer bellyachin'!

On 8/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, Rodey said:

Can't believe I just looked up Janet McTeer after spending so much time watching Ozark. I'm getting old.

Anyhoo, She-Hulk show. I didn't mind it. I like her snarky, edgy attitude. It's something different. Even more different than Yelana in Black Widow. I'll continue to watch.

Interesting, as this is exactly what I didn't like. I find this attitude very prevalent in female characters these days and I would love to see some humility in a character. Maybe that will be her character arc, for now she is just another Rey in Star Wars, and Captain Marvel.

On 8/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, Artboy99 said:

Interesting, as this is exactly what I didn't like. I find this attitude very prevalent in female characters these days and I would love to see some humility in a character. Maybe that will be her character arc, for now she is just another Rey in Star Wars, and Captain Marvel.

See above - with the photo of the 1989 # 1.

She's been snarky for 30+ years now - and the Byrne series was clearly marked satire - taking the out of the typical superhero books (and tropes) of the day.

On 8/19/2022 at 12:44 PM, Rodey said:

Can't believe I just looked up Janet McTeer after spending so much time watching Ozark.

I didn't know who she was until I saw her in Albert Nobbs, that movie where Glenn Close plays a man.  Casting McTeer in that film makes sense--she's so big it's easy to mistake her for the man she plays in that film, so when she flashes her extreme curves to Glenn Close as evidence she's actually a woman the credibility is instant.  That scene blew my mind.  :whatthe:

I enjoyed it.  I find it strange that people question the extra hair but not the extra muscles or height.  I hated the early She-Hulk, and thought it was a horrible idea when Wasp invited her to join the Avengers. The character grew on me, although I never picked up her solo books.  My favorite She-Hulk moment was her ripping The Vision in two, but I doubt we'll see that in this show.   

On 8/19/2022 at 11:56 AM, Artboy99 said:

here we go: :deadhorse:

Rey's character in Star Wars was even more riddled with fear and doubt than any character in the franchise. But you just couldn't get past the fact that from the opening scene that the hero was a chick. :ohnoez: Captain Marvel, she was a pilot. Pilots are cocky. If it was Tom Cruise as Captain Marvel like Top Gun, no one would bat an eye. (shrug)

image.png.46fc726c90398ff4af93ff289e08dee5.png

On 8/19/2022 at 11:59 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

here we go: :deadhorse:

Rey's character in Star Wars was even more riddled with fear and doubt than any character in the franchise. But you just couldn't get past the fact that from the opening scene that the hero was a chick. :ohnoez: Captain Marvel, she was a pilot. Pilots are cocky. If it was Tom Cruise as Captain Marvel like Top Gun, no one would bat an eye. (shrug)

image.png.46fc726c90398ff4af93ff289e08dee5.png

We were shown Luke training to be a Jedi, and in his first lightsaber battle with his nemesis he is soundly beaten, and clearly not ready and needs more character development/growth. Rey, she defeats Kylo Ren the first time she picks the weapon up. She was the same character throughout all 3 movies to me. It is possible I missed something in her character arc, but it didn't work for me. (shrug)

By the way, the hero being a chick is absolutely not what I take issue with. One of my favorite movies of all time is Aliens, the hero being a woman, Ripley is awesome.

On 8/19/2022 at 1:14 PM, Artboy99 said:

We were shown Luke training to be a Jedi, and in his first lightsaber battle with his nemesis he is soundly beaten, and clearly not ready and needs more character development/growth. Rey, she defeats Kylo Ren the first time she picks the weapon up. She was the same character throughout all 3 movies to me. It is possible I missed something in her character arc, but it didn't work for me. (shrug)

By the way, the hero being a chick is absolutely not what I take issue with. One of my favorite movies of all time is Aliens, the hero being a woman, Ripley is awesome.

Ok, that's fair. 

On 8/19/2022 at 11:29 AM, fantastic_four said:

There are a few celebrities with a curvy Amazon body type.  Janet McTeer is probably the tallest actress I've ever seen with that frame at 6' 1".  Uma Thurman, Claudia Schiffer, and Elle MacPherson all have it too but are all slightly under six feet.

I was hoping they'd find a younger and prettier Janet McTeer body type to play Wonder Woman--McTeer is 61 now--but meh, Gal Godot is fine I guess but not that curvy and shorter than I was hoping for at 5' 9".  Godot is about the same height Lynda Carter was before she got older and shrank a bit, but Carter is much closer to the body shape I was hoping they'd find.

I was talking about pics of your significant other. :gossip: :juggle:

On 8/19/2022 at 8:56 AM, Artboy99 said:

I'm not sure if you've ever worked alongside or hung out with millenials, but it's not exactly uncommon. 

On 8/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, Artboy99 said:

Agreed!

and basically i think that's the market they're going after. teens and millenials. your casual MCU viewer. old, male comic collector with family living in the suburbs with a mortgage and obligations is not the target demographic here. that's what moon knight is for. 

here's a perfect explanation of why Disney+ is making these shows

https://twitter.com/samba_tv/status/1537849958975643650?s=20&t=XdPzatgw8OJUFZbhRKHUxA

775k US households watched the premiere of #MsMarvelDisneyPlus_Ms_Marvel_May_2022.png. While less than other MCU series, it was a hit with #GenZ. Viewers age 20-24 watched at the highest rate of any MCU show, and it drew a more diverse audience with Black, Hispanic and Asian households watching at a higher rate

On 8/19/2022 at 12:08 PM, jsilverjanet said:

here's a perfect explanation of why Disney+ is making these shows

https://twitter.com/samba_tv/status/1537849958975643650?s=20&t=XdPzatgw8OJUFZbhRKHUxA

775k US households watched the premiere of #MsMarvelDisneyPlus_Ms_Marvel_May_2022.png. While less than other MCU series, it was a hit with #GenZ. Viewers age 20-24 watched at the highest rate of any MCU show, and it drew a more diverse audience with Black, Hispanic and Asian households watching at a higher rate

smart business. you paid an ugodly sum for this IP, why wouldn't you go after every segment of the market. and sow the seeds for the next generation of fans. 

For those who don't like it, Disney knows you'll keep your subscription because you're going to rewatch Infinity War for the 100th time, or rewatch the star wars movies, or watch Thor Love and Thunder next week

They know you aren't going anywhere, because why would you, who's their competition

You got kids? good luck living without Disney.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:28 PM, media_junkie said:

That is my biggest issue, I have two kids, it is all about Disney+.  Was it just me then it would be easy peasey to get rid of.

no kids for me but I have their 3 pack so whenever I'm not watching a new comic/star wars show then I'm watching hulu and espn for la liga games