• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found an old comic shop today, the books were all double cover price though, so I just got some Richie Rich
1 1

68 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

And that's a depressing scandal because......?

From what I remember reading, the widow was apparently paid only a fraction of what she was promised, after passing on a smaller upfront offer. Pennies on the dollar.

2 minutes ago, october said:

From what I remember reading, the widow was apparently paid only a fraction of what she was promised, after passing on a smaller upfront offer. Pennies on the dollar.

Thanks for posting that. (thumbsu

The story is starting to sound a bit familiar now.  If anyone happens to know where the full story was posted in a thread, please link it here.  I'll try to do a little searching for it and do the same, but I'm not holding out much hope I'll be able to find it.

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:

Thanks for posting that. (thumbsu

The story is starting to sound a bit familiar now.  If anyone happens to know where the full story was posted in a thread, please link it here.  I'll try to do a little searching for it and do the same, but I'm not holding out much hope I'll be able to find it.

I actually Googled it and found a link to the thread. Often easier to do that than use the search function. I think the board member Yellow Kid was the one who made the offer.

I will see if I can find the link again.

13 minutes ago, october said:

I actually Googled it and found a link to the thread. Often easier to do that than use the search function. I think the board member Yellow Kid was the one who made the offer.

I will see if I can find the link again.

Thanks......and yeah, I tried googling "CGC Rick Durrell" to see if I could find an associated thread with the information, but didn't have any luck.

4 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Thanks......and yeah, I tried googling "CGC Rick Durrell" to see if I could find an associated thread with the information, but didn't have any luck.

follow it with cgccomics.com in the future...

44 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

"Just one more question, sir..."

If ya could just spare a minute to help me figger out this crime sir-

4 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Since, as I've mentioned once or twice before, the search function in here sucks.  Would you be able to give us an abridged version of what happened to his collection?

One abridged version:

On 3/12/2019 at 4:27 AM, Yellow Kid said:

Rick died; relatively young, it seems like it was around the early 1970's.  His wife hated the collection because of the way it had dominated their life, and wanted to sell it.  Leonard asked me to buy it for the store, and it looked like we almost had a deal where I offered to buy it all for cash at fair market value.  It was a lot of cash and no one else came close to matching my offer.  At the last minute, she said she was sorry but someone else had offered her triple what I offered, and she was going to take his offer.  I tried to explain to her that something was wrong, and no one would pay that much.  We parted ways and she sold the collection to Ernie Gerber.  The first problem occurred when he didn't have the cash he promised her.  Ultimately she agreed to let him start selling the books and pay her out of the sales.  Her biggest surprise was yet to come.  Ernie told her that to maximize sales, he had to do restoration work on most of the books and he gave her a bill for his efforts.  What she didn't know was that Ernie was using sales to help fund his books showing old comic book covers.   At this point, she got an attorney, and things really got exciting.

I'm of two minds about sharing this post.  On the one hand, I hate stories that reveal that comic collecting has a very dark underbelly of corruption and unethical treatment which reflect really bad on the activity and its integrity.  It is depressing. On the other hand, I think it is important to know who the good and the bad guys are/were.  

The post comes from this thread:

32 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

One abridged version:

I'm of two minds about sharing this post.  On the one hand, I hate stories that reveal that comic collecting has a very dark underbelly of corruption and unethical treatment which reflect really bad on the activity and its integrity.  It is depressing. On the other hand, I think it is important to know who the good and the bad guys are/were.  

If someone ignores a cogent warning then they get what they get.

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
One abridged version:

Thank you very much for the information and for the link.  

Aside from the information I was looking for, there is a lot of very interesting reading in that thread.

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
On 3/12/2019 at 4:27 AM, Yellow Kid said:

Rick died; relatively young, it seems like it was around the early 1970's.  His wife hated the collection because of the way it had dominated their life, and wanted to sell it.  Leonard asked me to buy it for the store, and it looked like we almost had a deal where I offered to buy it all for cash at fair market value.  It was a lot of cash and no one else came close to matching my offer.  At the last minute, she said she was sorry but someone else had offered her triple what I offered, and she was going to take his offer.  I tried to explain to her that something was wrong, and no one would pay that much.  We parted ways and she sold the collection to Ernie Gerber.  The first problem occurred when he didn't have the cash he promised her.  Ultimately she agreed to let him start selling the books and pay her out of the sales.  Her biggest surprise was yet to come.  Ernie told her that to maximize sales, he had to do restoration work on most of the books and he gave her a bill for his efforts.  What she didn't know was that Ernie was using sales to help fund his books showing old comic book covers.   At this point, she got an attorney, and things really got exciting.

wow --- sounds like the very worst thing that could happen did. All those nice books getting touched up basically made them less valuable to the hobby I would imagine.

6 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

wow --- sounds like the very worst thing that could happen did. All those nice books getting touched up basically made them less valuable to the hobby I would imagine.

It's stories like this one that make this hobby so fascinating...sad but true...

9 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Thank you very much for the information and for the link.  

Aside from the information I was looking for, there is a lot of very interesting reading in that thread.

On the Gold Board you get some great stories shared and there's a lot of collective knowledge.  But, every once in a while, I stumble across some info that is worth sharing.  And the topic of that thread was one that I found very surprising and cool.