• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found an old comic shop today, the books were all double cover price though, so I just got some Richie Rich
1 1

68 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

So many keys on that table!

I wish I could tell what that art is laying there.

Look how much shelf space was given to BLBs.

Pretty sure it was set up. Burt did have multiple copies of the keys though. He showed me and a friend a vgish copy of Action #1 once. $300. Might as well have been a million dollars to us.

BLBs were VERY popular then. He had 100’s of them but we wern’t interested. 

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Malcolm Willits at Collector’s book store also early ‘60’s. Hollywood CA. He recently passed away. Collector’s was the “expensive” store. Us kids preferred Cherokee or even better Bond Street Books around the corner. A lot more friendly and cheaper. Was a magical time and place for comic book collectors! 

I am so jealous.  

There are those of us who lived in areas who never even dreamed of a store like that near us, much less multiple stores.
I had to ride my bike a mile or so just for the nearest spinner rack.

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

An old newspaper article about one of the first super collectors Rick Durell. The cat was walking over his "under copies"...

rickdurellarticle1.jpg

what year is that newspaper article from-- has to be at least post late 1969 or later based on that DD 53 and the Captain America 119

Also - thank you for sharing the images.

Edited by 01TheDude

13 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

what year is that newspaper article from-- has to be at least post late 1969 or later based on that DD 53 and the Captain America 119

Also - thank you for sharing the images.

Not sure, I no longer have it. Glad I took the photos though.

9 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

lol  True.

Difference is, the books in the first case are desirable.

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

that and the fact that people didn't actively burn up and recycle 1990s books (much)

What a backwards world we live in.   Heh.

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The books in that picture were being sold by the store. RD was a frequent buyer.  That is just the kind of store it was.  Folks say that RD had MULTIPLE Action 1.  What happened to his collection is a depressing scandal, at least in the versions I've heard told.  The story has been told on these boards several times.

Since, as I've mentioned once or twice before, the search function in here sucks.  Would you be able to give us an abridged version of what happened to his collection?