• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When comics change format
2 2

32 posts in this topic

As the first superhero rush was dying down in the late '40's some previous super hero comics were taking on new formats.  Captain America became a horror title, Pep changed focus to Teen Humor, and Standard/Nedor started branching off to Jungle/Western comics.  These specific comics are of interest to me as they still have their superheroes on the covers, but are attempts to switch to the newer trends.  Can anyone think of any other examples?

Cover for Captain America Comics (Marvel, 1941 series) #72Cover for Pep Comics (Archie, 1940 series) #36Cover for Thrilling Comics (Pines, 1940 series) #55Cover for Thrilling Comics (Pines, 1940 series) #59

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

The two best examples I can think of are Black Cat Western/Mystery/Mystic and Venus, as they changed genres a lot.  But many titles did, including Sensation, More Fun, Police, etc.

Good ones.  Found these three with a superhero in a different genre (and actually there seem to be quite a few where Clover and Dover share the cover with Superboy or Green Arrow):

Cover for Black Cat (Harvey, 1946 series) #15Cover for Sensation Comics (DC, 1942 series) #97Cover for More Fun Comics (DC, 1936 series) #106

Edited by thunsicker

All-American (Adventure/Humor) then Green Lantern  and Superheroes. 

All-American Western

All-American Men of War

5 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

All-American (Adventure/Humor) then Green Lantern  and Superheroes. 

All-American Western

All-American Men of War

So there does appear to be an issue where it appears to be a western and green lantern is still there:

Cover for All-American Comics (DC, 1939 series) #99

And I should make it clear, I'm not just looking for where comics change genre.  I'm looking for ones where comics change genre from superhero to something else and the superhero is still there on the cover in the new genre.  Kind of a last gasp of the golden age heroes thing.

Edited by thunsicker

Hi Tim

You mentioned the Nedor/Standard/Betters going to western/jungle.  Wonder Comics went from war superhero (Grim Reaper) to sci-fi along with Startling going to sci-fi but I know you know those.   The last few issues of FH's Jumbo went to horror. 

Not sure if this meets what you're looking for but the Green Hornets went from war to detective with Green Hornet Fights Crime.  He of course stays on the covers.

I'll try to think of others.

The Seven Soldiers of Victory gave way to funny animals with Leading Comics.

Heroic Comics (Reg'lar Fellars) was superhero for the first 15 issues and then war and adventure type. Although these were title changes Reg'lar Fellars Heroic to Heroic to New Heroic.

21 hours ago, thunsicker said:

And I should make it clear, I'm not just looking for where comics change genre.  I'm looking for ones where comics change genre from superhero to something else and the superhero is still there on the cover in the new genre.  Kind of a last gasp of the golden age heroes thing.

Cover for Black Cat (Harvey, 1946 series) #4

Cover for Black Cat (Harvey, 1946 series) #19

Cover for Black Cat (Harvey, 1946 series) #30

Cover for Black Cat (Harvey, 1946 series) #35

Edited by sfcityduck

21 hours ago, thunsicker said:

So there does appear to be an issue where it appears to be a western and green lantern is still there:

Cover for All-American Comics (DC, 1939 series) #99

That's not a Western, that's a dog comic (like Rex) featuring Streak the Wonder Dog.  GL lost the cover to Streak in his own comic:

Cover for Green Lantern (DC, 1941 series) #34

Cover for Green Lantern (DC, 1941 series) #36

Cover for Green Lantern (DC, 1941 series) #38

6 minutes ago, BarristerBaker said:

Another good one is Prize Frankenstein. At issue 18, it switches from humor to horror. Hard left. Great series.

No, not super-hero related, but a cool pivot towards what was hotter at the time.

925F9D78-5137-463D-BE65-9BCF319477C4.jpeg

It's rather ironic that CC has pretty much the entire run of this Frankenstein series in their upcoming auction next week from issue #1 right through to issue #33, but yet somehow missing only this particular key issue here, along with Frankenstein 20.  

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

And how about the strange saga of Moon Girl?

Moon Girl # 6

Cover for Moon Girl (EC, 1947 series) #6

Moon Girl Fights Crime # 7 and # 8

Cover for Moon Girl Fights Crime (EC, 1949 series) #7

Cover for Moon Girl Fights Crime (EC, 1949 series) #8

A Moon, A Girl, Romance 

I've always loved these later Moon Girl issues, but supposedly they are a bit tougher to find relatively to many of the later EC books.  :luhv:

The other thing is that whenever they do show up in the marketplace, they generally tend to sell for rather healthy premiums to guide, if not even at multiples to guide in a few cases.