• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No one mentioned the huge Jim Davis Garfield strip auction at Heritage?
2 2

118 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2022 at 3:25 PM, Bronty said:

For sure the volume is starting to show, although I also forgot the auction :( 

On 2/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, szav said:

I usually don’t buy the ‘it was in a bad day and I forgot the auction excuse’… but this was on a bad day, Thursday, and I forgot the auction despite tracking several pieces that all went low.

Seems like it was indeed a bad day to hold the auction. But if the strips weren't so readily available thus far (unlike Calvin and Hobbes), I'm sure everyone would've been there with bells on. I won't complain 😊

On 1/16/2023 at 5:23 PM, szav said:

Needed a good Garfield physically abusing Jon strip, nice to get a Sunday of this important category.

That’s an interesting sub-focus. lol

On 1/16/2023 at 7:23 PM, szav said:

Number 7 for me... guess I have a problem.  Needed a good Garfield physically abusing Jon strip, nice to get a Sunday of this important category.  Prices are still looking low for most things, although the earliest 1979 panels with morbidly obese Garfield drawn by Davis get the biggest premium and are still going for around 3-4k (there's a strong correlation between Garfield's weight and prices realized with these strips).  People are still crazy for Lyman too...haven't been able to grab one yet.

image.png.f5edea0c7d303cd7539d2db605b10be1.png

I was the underbidder on this one (several actually).

A very funny strip, with many emotional changes to his face. Nice pickup.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:23 PM, szav said:

Number 7 for me... guess I have a problem.  Needed a good Garfield physically abusing Jon strip, nice to get a Sunday of this important category.  Prices are still looking low for most things, although the earliest 1979 panels with morbidly obese Garfield drawn by Davis get the biggest premium and are still going for around 3-4k (there's a strong correlation between Garfield's weight and prices realized with these strips).  People are still crazy for Lyman too...haven't been able to grab one yet.

image.png.f5edea0c7d303cd7539d2db605b10be1.png

great strip!  congrats!

I've got some other irons in the fire so I haven't been bidding but I hope to bid again on future strips.

My focus is 'garfield physically abusing Odie' lol 

On 1/17/2023 at 4:05 PM, szav said:

We all do this right?  It’s a rationalization to buy more… I ‘need’ one in this category I just made up …or else the collection is not complete.

Very true. Not to mention, you can expand the "Felines Abusing Their Owners" focus to justify a future Calvin and Hobbes strip purchase.

2059214979_ScreenShot2023-01-18at10_28_35AM.png.e11e7c8743281a2222074b0832ab2f7c.png

On 4/7/2021 at 11:22 AM, Bronty said:

I bought a couple early Sundays.   Not yet in hand but I might as well share them.

gT9op0uC_1501211710461gpadd.jpg

I like these early Odies when he had the black ears. They were changed because having black ears made him look a little bit too similar to Snoopy.

Edited by Matches_Malone

On 2/23/2024 at 8:59 AM, delekkerste said:

Picked up my 6th Garfield strip in last night's Jim Davis auction. :cloud9: 

My sincere condolences for your gain. :foryou:

On 2/23/2024 at 12:06 PM, delekkerste said:

The first 5 strips (1 daily, 4 Sundays) I got were all from 1979-1981.

What I lacked was an example that had Garfield, Odie and Jon all in the same piece. Actually - I'm wrong! lol Turns out I already had a Sunday that had all three. But it only has one panel of Odie and one panel of Jon with the rest Garfield. 

Anyway, I didn't think I'd ever want to go out as far as 1985, but, this example had lots of Jon/Odie/Garfield in different poses/looks, a great gag, and drawn in a very pleasing style (can't say that about all of the strips from this era):

image.thumb.jpeg.d75864cb93bfe322cf1f5a5b6f9e752e.jpeg

I got my one off example, with a coffee joke. But, I have to admit, getting a Sunday with the Garfield Title is intriguing. Given how prices are, I might pull the trigger.

On 3/1/2024 at 10:51 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I got my one off example, with a coffee joke. But, I have to admit, getting a Sunday with the Garfield Title is intriguing. Given how prices are, I might pull the trigger.

mauahahahah