• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting the youth to comics

79 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, NebraskaGuy said:

I currently have 3 kids and they each have a character they get a pull for every month.

Son (7) was getting the Marvel Super Hero Adventures, now he gets to pick a new comic each month until that starts back up.

Daughter A (9) is getting Goosebumps comics to go with her book collection. She is also getting Captain Marvel (she asked for two comics, who am I to say no?)

Daughter B (9) was getting Supergirl but has changed over to Spider-Gwen because she is a drummer. 

There is hope....

One of my daughters knew how bad I wanted ASM 300 so she made me my own copy. Most valuable comic in my collection. 

ASM 300 cover.jpg

ASM 300 Pg 1.jpg

this is awesome you got a comic book writer on your hands there.. put me on the pull list for her work! I hope you framed it or put it on the fridge. Tell her we will be waiting for the next issue (thumbsuI need to know what happens... Where is Venom hiding?

11 hours ago, kav said:

I had an 11th grader show me a 90s foil drek ASM and claimed it was worth "$20,000" and said his uncle offered him that much but he wisely turned it down.  He said just look at it the condition is great!  It was ragged as hell and it was one of those card stock covers and he had still managed to beat it to pieces.  A quick search of ebay showed infinite copies listed for 99c in around 9.0 raw.  I didnt have the heart to tell him.

Maybe this 11th grader is from the future!?

On 9/10/2019 at 5:00 AM, KirbyJack said:

I have on numerous occasions given away comics for Halloween. Many shop owners are receptive to the idea , and will give you great pricing on (age appropriate} stuff. Lots of times they will have left over Free Comic Book Day stock. I started this at my sister's house; 2 years in a row, and her kids were known thru the neighborhood for it! 

I was surprised how much the kids liked it.

Previews solicits 25-packs of mini Halloween comics every year. I think they are something like $5 a 25-pack, which makes them almost as cheap as candy.  Most appear to be inappropriate garbage, but I usually pick up 2-3 packs of Pokémon, Archie, etc.  Because I have a mail-order subscription service, they never arrive on time for the current Halloween, but I have a big pile of previous year's copies.

I give them to my Elks Lodge for their kids Halloween party, and pass them out at the door (with candy) at home on Halloween.  The kids always seem to be delighted to get them.

My wife teaches 2-4, my daughter teaches 2nd, and my son now teaches 4th.  I give them all packs every year to give away to their students.

Still can't get over that entranced look of wonder on my cousin's son's face.  And can't wait to catch up with him after he's read the books.

I first got into comics via a friend who must've gotten into them via a friend (his fam members were clueless).  Serious network effects, gang.

Edited by exitmusicblue

4 hours ago, Krishosein said:

this is awesome you got a comic book writer on your hands there.. put me on the pull list for her work! I hope you framed it or put it on the fridge. Tell her we will be waiting for the next issue (thumbsuI need to know what happens... Where is Venom hiding?

I bought a magazine top loaded and have it proudly on my comic wall along with my other graded books, right where it belongs! 

I told her Venom doesn't like Fire so Hawaii might not be the best spot for him. Her response was "Well, they won't be looking for him there then will they?" No I guess not and now I am more nervous for her teenage years if she is that crafty....

Edited by NebraskaGuy

Its sad that they dont really write comics for kids any more.  Teens and adults seem to be the target audience.

22 minutes ago, kav said:

Its sad that they dont really write comics for kids any more.  Teens and adults seem to be the target audience.

Bright side, I think a lot of kids dig the heavier stuff!  I know I did... e.g., Jae Lee Namor.  Dark sense of mystery and all that jazz.

As a 6 year old, was all about the Archie digests. lol

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Previews solicits 25-packs of mini Halloween comics every year. I think they are something like $5 a 25-pack, which makes them almost as cheap as candy.  Most appear to be inappropriate garbage, but I usually pick up 2-3 packs of Pokémon, Archie, etc.  Because I have a mail-order subscription service, they never arrive on time for the current Halloween, but I have a big pile of previous year's copies.

I give them to my Elks Lodge for their kids Halloween party, and pass them out at the door (with candy) at home on Halloween.  The kids always seem to be delighted to get them.

My wife teaches 2-4, my daughter teaches 2nd, and my son now teaches 4th.  I give them all packs every year to give away to their students.

I used to always order the Archie and Donald Duck packs. I need to check with my shop and see if it's too late to order some for this year. Haven't had a kid turn one down yet!

Just now, exitmusicblue said:

Bright side, I think a lot of kids dig the heavier stuff!  I know I did... e.g., Jae Lee Namor.  Dark sense of mystery and all that jazz.

As a 6 year old, was all about the Archie digests. lol

This is the kind of comic i wanted to read as a kid and can still enjoy as an adult-now everything's about the angst-

81r8VXyUe+L._SY445_.jpg

1 hour ago, kav said:

This is the kind of comic i wanted to read as a kid and can still enjoy as an adult-now everything's about the angst-

81r8VXyUe+L._SY445_.jpg

oh man if I had to spend a million in 24 hours I would of spent it in literally a few mins, I'd buy a Action Comics 1, AF 15 and just click buy it now all over eBay, duck it all no research just buy it lmao, live a bit dangerously. See those mints come in as GD lol 

36 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

oh man if I had to spend a million in 24 hours I would of spent it in literally a few mins, I'd buy a Action Comics 1, AF 15 and just click buy it now all over eBay, duck it all no research just buy it lmao, live a bit dangerously. See those mints come in as GD lol 

Aha but Jimmy had CONDITIONS.  No item over $20,000.  No more than one of each item.  Any money garnered during his spending must also be spent.  And he kept stumbling onto sunken treasure in his yacht and winning contests and stuff!

2 hours ago, kav said:

81r8VXyUe+L._SY445_.jpg

I used to eat up this stuff. Seems ridiculously corny (campy) now, but I can appreciate the pigeon hole they put themselves in because they made Superman too super. It forced creativity over the top: kryptonite in every color, super-dog, cat, horse etc., gaining powers, losing powers, future supes, past supes, Bizarros, "what if" plots, and on and on, still though, it made for some fun reads and something to look forward to back in the day. Looking back, I almost feel sorry for the writers, but I got to hand it to them, they made it fun and a nice escape.

Edited by Jaylam

7 hours ago, Krishosein said:

This kid is already an accomplished writer. Sign ''em up quick before school and college ruins them.

2 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I used to eat up this stuff. Seems ridiculously corny (campy) now, but I can appreciate the pigeon hole they put themselves in because they made Superman too super. It forced creativity over the top: kryptonite in every color, super-dog, cat, horse etc., gaining powers, losing powers, future supes, past supes, Bizarros, "what if" plots, and on and on, still though, it made for some fun reads and something to look forward to back in the day. Looking back, I almost feel sorry for the writers, but I got to hand it to them, they made it fun and a nice escape.

exactly they had to be very clever to come up with stories and hired science fiction writers like edmond hamilton, otto binder and alfred bester.  Marvel just kinda hired people to write but DC recruited pros in the field.  Interestingly, Action Comics #321 is a retelling of an old Captain Future Story by Edmond Hamilton, both stories where the hero is stranded on a planet and has to create and entire spacecraft from dirt, smelting ores and what not.

I was always a Metal Men fan, but this story from Metal Men #21 stands out to me as quite well thought out and done as the writer creates great foils for the Metal Men with these "evil plastic robots". Little did we know at the time (1966) that polyethylene and polypropylene would soon become storage bag materials for comic books (and evil straws)!

773540735_metalmen21edited.jpg.5c8f42a564fdc2fbcd45fac79bf4880f.jpg

I donated a volume of the Fantagraphics Carl Barks Library of Donald Duck to my Kid's elementary school.

You want kids to read comics?  Start with the best.

My kid's a H.S. Senior now.  But, back then, the kids also loved the Avatar: The Last Airbender (best kid's adventure cartoon ever!).  So I also donated the "Lost Adventures" book.  Kids loved those stories.

Edited by sfcityduck

23 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You know/remember that I am "the artist formerly known as TwoPiece", right? lol

:tink:

Wow! The Artist formerly known as @Twopiece & @Hollywood1892 being friendly to each other?!!

It's like Cats & Dogs living together, Up is Down, Left is Right!

Maybe there is hope for the world! lol

On 9/9/2019 at 9:00 PM, kav said:

Gave a stack of BA Caps to middle school student after I saw he made a cap shield out of construction paper and was wearing it around school lol 

@kav I hope none of those BA Caps you gave to the kid @ school  had Frank Robbins art or he may never  read a comic again! lol

Edited by comics4all