• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting the youth to comics

79 posts in this topic

I did give away a couple of long boxes to the son of my wife's co-worker at the time. He came over with a limited budget to buy a few. He was a very nice young man. I was planning on wholesaling them anyway. So I just said, "You can have all these if you want". He did want. Excited look on his face was more valuable to me than the $100 or so I *might* have got wholesaling them to some mega comic dealer. I think I got more out of the deal than the kid did.

Changing the subject a bit, but if kids lose interest in comics will the collectible aspect of it die in 30 years? I read an article, wish I still had the link, that discussed the collectible market in general. It posited that "collectibles" really begin to peak about 30 years after the item was popular with kids. As in, I'm now 40 years old, I have a career and a disposable income and I remember those Ninja Turtle or whatever comics as a kid and want to invest in them. Probably more so for nostalgia than an investment. Currently, if comic book values are to be solid in 30 years, it may be from kids watching all the comic movies of today more than having read the books. Not that I'll be alive in 30 years to know the outcome...

I buy long boxes off FB when I see a local trying to dump them for cheap. I cherry pick the comics I want but usually end up with a ton of doubles that are your typical dollar bin fodder. So every year for the past 5 years, I've stuck a stack outside on Halloween and told kids to take one. It's my way of trying to convert the youth of America to the cult of comicdom.

Of course, the stack is usually a ton of Amalgam and 90s Image books so I'm not really sure if I'm recruiting the next generation or driving them further away.

16 minutes ago, NebraskaGuy said:

I currently have 3 kids and they each have a character they get a pull for every month.

Son (7) was getting the Marvel Super Hero Adventures, now he gets to pick a new comic each month until that starts back up.

Daughter A (9) is getting Goosebumps comics to go with her book collection. She is also getting Captain Marvel (she asked for two comics, who am I to say no?)

Daughter B (9) was getting Supergirl but has changed over to Spider-Gwen because she is a drummer. 

There is hope....

One of my daughters knew how bad I wanted ASM 300 so she made me my own copy. Most valuable comic in my collection. 

ASM 300 cover.jpg

ASM 300 Pg 1.jpg

Love it! GBR!

1 hour ago, NebraskaGuy said:

I currently have 3 kids and they each have a character they get a pull for every month.

Son (7) was getting the Marvel Super Hero Adventures, now he gets to pick a new comic each month until that starts back up.

Daughter A (9) is getting Goosebumps comics to go with her book collection. She is also getting Captain Marvel (she asked for two comics, who am I to say no?)

Daughter B (9) was getting Supergirl but has changed over to Spider-Gwen because she is a drummer. 

There is hope....

One of my daughters knew how bad I wanted ASM 300 so she made me my own copy. Most valuable comic in my collection. 

ASM 300 cover.jpg

ASM 300 Pg 1.jpg

how much you want for it?

1 hour ago, NebraskaGuy said:

There is hope....

ASM 300 cover.jpg

ASM 300 Pg 1.jpg

Made my day.  Hahahahaha... plus Venom eating children and robbing banks. Somewhere, Carnage is feelin' the identity theft.

5 hours ago, alexanderjk said:

One of my journalism students is obsessed with Spider-man and we often talk about the MCU and comic books in general. When I discovered that one of his prized possessions is a modest collection of modern comics that his biological father (he’s adopted) gave to him, I gave him about 200 comics — a lot of modern X-Men, Batman, Spider-man, Image, etc. He was blown away by the gesture and uses many of them as references for his drawing. 

I had an 11th grader show me a 90s foil drek ASM and claimed it was worth "$20,000" and said his uncle offered him that much but he wisely turned it down.  He said just look at it the condition is great!  It was ragged as hell and it was one of those card stock covers and he had still managed to beat it to pieces.  A quick search of ebay showed infinite copies listed for 99c in around 9.0 raw.  I didnt have the heart to tell him.

I'm gonna do everything that I can to groom my future nephew into an educated comic book fan. My 2nd best friend has a 2-year old boy, too, and he (my friend) loves comic book movies (not much of a reader, though). So, about a decade down the line, I'll be trying to get a couple people into the hobby.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm gonna do everything that I can to groom my future nephew into an educated comic book fan. My 2nd best friend has a 2-year old boy, too, and he (my friend) loves comic book movies (not much of a reader, though). So, about a decade down the line, I'll be trying to get a couple people into the hobby.

I think you will be an inspiration my friend.

Your one of the main reasons I still come around these boards to chat.

I look forward to what you have to say, so I imagine they will too.(thumbsu:tink: Thanks

8 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I think you will be an inspiration my friend.

Your one of the main reasons I still come around these boards to chat.

I look forward to what you have to say, so I imagine they will too.(thumbsu:tink: Thanks

You know/remember that I am "the artist formerly known as TwoPiece", right? lol

:tink: