• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grail Day!
2 2

42 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Curious you mention 'Grail Day'. Here's a recent pic from filter81/Nerdy Girl

Capture.JPG.2aaa1f26095ea0da59edc3741d4f0150.JPG

Where’d the unrestored Action 1 come from ?  I think that Unrestored Tec will end up being a  steal down the road 

Edited by Chicago Boy

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Where’d the unrestored Action 1 come from ?  I think that Unrestored Tec will end up being a  steal down the road 

The Tec was from Hakes I believe and went cheap, so you’re prob right.

6 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Gotham Kid: can’t compete with dealers :tonofbricks:

Sure you can. Dealers buying books at Public auctions are no different then strict collectors. In fact , given that a dealer wants to buy at a slight discount, I’d say a collector has the advantage because presumably they’d be willing to pay full retail. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:41 PM, AnkurJ said:

Picked up this amazing grail recently! The stars were aligned and everything just fell into place. 

While the book is EP, it was done by Matt Nelson over 10 years ago so I think can be improved. Main area was the spine which was gone, and a long tear into the cover. 

I posted this in the Superman thread but felt it deserved its own. Thanks for looking at my PLOD! lol

Now the elusive Action 1 remains.....

FC49BCF2-4D24-468C-8015-8C7D1D549377.jpeg

200.gif.63068a414283dc1bb7b3b92d828d622a.gif

10 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Sure you can. Dealers buying books at Public auctions are no different then strict collectors. In fact , given that a dealer wants to buy at a slight discount, I’d say a collector has the advantage because presumably they’d be willing to pay full retail. 

So being willing to pay more is an advantage?   That makes no sense.   It’s the same for everyone at the end of the day

On 9/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, Bronty said:

So being willing to pay more is an advantage?   That makes no sense.   It’s the same for everyone at the end of the day

Of course it’s an advantage. If you want a book and you are willing to pay more, you will be more successful than a dealer that isn’t willing to pay more. If one thinks they can’t compete with a “dealer” bidding on books at an auction , that’s the statement that makes no sense.  

24 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Of course it’s an advantage. If you want a book and you are willing to pay more, you will be more successful than a dealer that isn’t willing to pay more. If one thinks they can’t compete with a “dealer” bidding on books at an auction , that’s the statement that makes no sense.  

I never said what you seem to think I said?  That was Ankur (whose POV I don’t agree with).   Last I checked $100 from my bank account is worth the same as $100 from your bank account or Ankur’s account, no matter where the money comes from (flipping comics or a day job or business).  

At the end of the day as I’ve heard Storms say, there are sellers and buyers.  The rest is mostly subjective including the terms ‘collector’ and  ‘dealer’ as most comics people tend to do a little of both.

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

I never said what you seem to think I said?  That was Ankur (whose POV I don’t agree with).   Last I checked $100 from my bank account is worth the same as $100 from your bank account or Ankur’s account, no matter where the money comes from (flipping comics or a day job or business).  

At the end of the day as I’ve heard Storms say, there are sellers and buyers.  The rest is mostly subjective including the terms ‘collector’ and  ‘dealer’ as most comics people tend to do a little of both.

That makes more sense (thumbsu

16 hours ago, Bronty said:

My POV comes from the fact that most dealers have comics purely as inventory. I’ve even heard some say they could care less about the stuff, it’s their bread and butter and everything is for sale. What collectors have which can be a disadvantage is an emotional attachment to what they’re buying. To some dealers it’s just stock. 

2 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

My POV comes from the fact that most dealers have comics purely as inventory. I’ve even heard some say they could care less about the stuff, it’s their bread and butter and everything is for sale. What collectors have which can be a disadvantage is an emotional attachment to what they’re buying. To some dealers it’s just stock. 

So, what you're really saying is that it all comes down to stocks and bonds.  hm

8 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

If being a dealer is such a huge advantage why don’t you become one?   I think you’d find it’s easier to grouse about it than to do it and that the dealers who do so successfully long term deserve the success.  But that’s a guess on my part:   perhaps it’s a legitimate road to fame, fortune and groupies.

Edited by Bronty

26 minutes ago, Bronty said:

If being a dealer is such a huge advantage why don’t you become one?   I think you’d find it’s easier to grouse about it than to do it and that the dealers who do so successfully long term deserve the success.  But that’s a guess on my part:   perhaps it’s a legitimate road to fame, fortune and groupies.

I would but to me this isn’t just stuff, it’s deeply nostalgic to me. Would be hard to let it go. Can’t all be Elsa ya know ;) 

So you see a huge advantage in front of you, but you are forced by your purity to not partake.   hm   Must be tough ;)

Even if that was taken at face value, wouldn’t this golden opportunity for fame and fortune with no barriers to entry be jumped on by hordes of Elsas all quitting their day jobs?   

And wouldn’t that drive down the value of the opportunity via stiff competition?

‘Dealers have an advantage ‘ boils down to ‘I can’t afford every  book I want.’   Which is usually followed by some form of ‘all books should be affordable by true collectors’ (usually like the person speaking or writing)  .   You may not realize it but you sir, are a commie :nyah:

Edited by Bronty