• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had $500 to spend on comics.
3 3

164 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

If I were on your side of the ocean,it would be 500$ on Terrific,Spider-Man Weekly and stuff like that.ANYAlan Class Charlton or Atlas digest size I could find.

I frigging LOVE that stuff.

Already completed my Captain Britain-but no boomerang :banana: and :frown: but :D

Great idea, I admit.

That would be pure nostalgia, as I grew up reading the Marvel UK series such as Captain Britain and Spider-Man Comics Weekly. 

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Great idea, I admit.

That would be pure nostalgia, as I grew up reading the Marvel UK series such as Captain Britain and Spider-Man Comics Weekly. 

I just got a stack of Spider-Man Weekly from batmiesta and am so happy a giant vole couldn't bring me down :cloud9:

Just so uncommon over here.

Edited by porcupine48

On 9/27/2019 at 11:33 PM, kav said:

Yep I got most of the Adams Batman, Deadman, and Spectre for under $80.  Condition was in the 5.0 range.

The Strange Adventures Deadman run is very affordable in upper mid grade with great art and good stories. Some of the best covers of the time too.

time too. 

2096244893_strangeadventures207.jpg.32b44e9754c9c861d2d056d9d64cc510.jpg2021342807_strangeadventures210.jpg.1d115dac6050ef082662759c3c4ef843.jpg496069206_strangeadventures211.jpg.131695eafa453e86d94f6a5a56f29368.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

TTA #52 and hope Nathan Garrett turns up in The Black Knight movie series.

Can't see how he won't.

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

There are far better ways to impress a girl than to take her to a show to watch you spend $500. on a funny book...

You better have another $500. to buy her something nice, take her out to a fancy restraunt or away for a short romantic weekend.

I'd leave the girl home so she doesn't know what you are spending on comic books...(shrug)

And, as to the original poster... I'd pick out a real nice cover PCH slabbed book. These are so solid it's crazy.

A good rule of thumb is you need to spend at least as much as her as on this hobby. My wife (and gf before that) was cool with the hobby so long as that occurred. She has even been to shows, albeit with the kids, but she has a little bit of nerd in her (she is a scientist after all) despite hating super heroes. She is all over GOT, WD, SW, ST, etc

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

A good rule of thumb is you need to spend at least as much as her as on this hobby. My wife (and gf before that) was cool with the hobby so long as that occurred. She has even been to shows, albeit with the kids, but she has a little bit of nerd in her (she is a scientist after all) despite hating super heroes. She is all over GOT, WD, SW, ST, etc

Wow(thumbsu

That seems like a good rule of thumb

$500 can get you a nice four color 386. True, uncle scrooge appeared earlier, but this has been considered the big issue and he is not on the covers of the 1st apps. This used to be a big book, but the internet showed Dells were pretty numerous and prices got more realistic. This character is still relevant in the pop culture lexicon and non comic folks would probably think it is neat too. And having been down for a while I think this book or his real 1st app have upside. Would I spend $500 for a 6.0? No, but if I wasn't broke it try to haggle it down. With that said I have more fun spreading $500 around and hunting. I can also sell you 50 nice copies of Thor 339 at an 80% discount from their $2500 FMV.

13 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Wow(thumbsu

That seems like a good rule of thumb

Need to find a lady with a touch of nerd in her at a minimum.(and I'm not making a baudy innuendo)

Edited by the blob

I've been collecting comics at some capacity for close to 30 years.

In my opinion the absolute best bang for your buck and area for most high future velocity is with 60/70's Comic Magazines

Warren (Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella)

Marvel (Dracula Lives, Vampire Tales, Marvel Preview, Tales of the Zombie, Haunt of Horror, Monsters Unleashed, Savage Tales, Savage Sword of Conan)

Skywald (Psycho, Scream, Nightmare, Crime Machine, Hell-Rider)

Eerie Publication (Weird, Tales of Voodoo, Terror Tales, Witches Tales, Tales from the Tomb, Horror Tales, etc.)

These books all had (to varying degrees)

1. All Star Artists (Frazetta, Kaluta, Wrightson, Jones, Neal Adams, Bill Everett, John Byrne, Russ Heath, Sanjulian, the list goes on and on and on)
  2. Amazing Covers
  3. Stories that molded the minds of many of our most prolific Horror Writers and Directors of our time (Stephen King, Eli Roth, Tarantino, Savini, etc. etc.)
  4. Were not stored as well as comics.  Tougher to get in High Grade.
  5. Some much lower distribution than others (Skywald & Eerie Pubs).

It's a perfect storm of popular culture.

When you look at GA PCH and the untouchable prices of some of that stuff; and then find that you can get that same spark in your tummy when you purchase some of the stuff above....It's a no brainer.

Also....shameless plug :foryou:

GA/SA/BA Edition