• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I will no longer deal with Comiclink

143 posts in this topic

You miss what I'm saying here.

I bid on Book A, a personal grail that I have been chasing for years. The bid is accepted, so elated, I buy a few others just for fun.

Package arrives, grail is missing, but other books are there.

I'd be sending those puppies back to CL and contacting my CC company to contest the charge due to non-fulfillment of my order.

Right, and I'm saying that I would doubt that "well I just bought these other books cause I was elated about the book that didn't show up" would be a satisfactory gripe with c-link. Though I see why you'd be miffed.

But I don't work for them, and can't really speak for them. Just taking a guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

I see your point. It's kind of like purchasing a DVD I really want on Amazon.com for $18.99, but in order to get free shipping ($25 and above), I throw in another DVD for $9.99. Package arrives and the only DVD available is the $9.99 one. foreheadslap.gif

But I think that each transaction is individual on comiclink and you are buying individual books all from a bidding system.

Nobody made you buy those other books because you were so "elated" and there was no agreement made on price or anything else -- you may have in your own head bought the additional books because you got the grail, but as far as comiclink is concerned, those are books you wanted just as much.

I see what you are saying.

I don't often order from CL so I'm not sure how you get the seller info, ie. how can you tell if the books you are purchasing are from the same seller.

In my case, while I was dissapointed I didn't receive the book (a Big Apple copy), I wasn't charged for it so no harm done.

I see your point. It's kind of like purchasing a DVD I really want on Amazon.com for $18.99, but in order to get free shipping ($25 and above), I throw in another DVD for $9.99. Package arrives and the only DVD available is the $9.99 one. foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, except Amazon lets you return the DVD, and usually gives you a gift certificate if you complain about being stiffed on an item.

And I can't believe you people are slamming me for condemning a severely flawed bidding system, where sellers can apparently pick and choose which accepted "offer to sell" contracts they decide to honor.

If this happens, I'd at least expect notification of such, BEFORE I opened the package. frustrated.gif

I bet if I bid on a ton of CL's books and then told him that "I'd spent all my money at a big Con, and forgot about that when bidding" he'd be as easy going as he is with the seller, who used the EXACT same excuse. Want to lay odds?

I bet this "ooops, sorry I guess I lost/sold/ate the book" only works for sellers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And I can't believe you people are slamming me for condemning a severely flawed bidding system, where sellers can apparently pick and choose which accepted "offer to sell" contracts they decide to honor.

If this happens, I'd at least expect notification of such, BEFORE I opened the package.

I see your frustation. And I would agree that ComicLink should definitely email you in advance.

The problem with cancelling your whole order is that the other books:

1) might be from other sellers who at no fault of their own would lose a sale

2) the other books were reserved for you and therefore no one else could buy them. And just maybe because those books were sold, another potential buyer bought a different copy.

It's definitely a tough call, but I don't think ComicLink should cancel your whole order, but once again could seriously see your frustration.

If this happens, I'd at least expect notification of such, BEFORE I opened the package. frustrated.gif

Joe I totally agree, as this was my only gripe as far as CL was concerned.

I really don't like the idea of someone listing their books in 2 different places at once. If they want to list their book on Ebay or some other venue, then they should remove it from Comiclink first. If the deal falls through on Ebay, then they can relist it again. Seriously, if I already have the scans on my system, it only takes me about 30 seconds to relist each book. If I'm not sure whether I want to sell the book or not, then I either list it with a high value (which I'd gladly sell it for if met), or don't list it at all. It's as simple as that.

I would like to ses Comiclink have sellers "reconfirm" their books for sale like every 3 months or so. If they are not confirmed, they would be deleted. This would help with the congestion of books sitting there for over a year with no activity. It also would help lessen the chance of bidding on books that are no longer available for sale.

Huh, who's slamming you? Seems like everybody has said they can see your point. You asked what people thought comiclink might do in a given situation. I gave a semi-informed opinion. That's a slam?

That doesn't seem unreasonable. Even if books come from different sellers, if it's all from one order...then I think that's fair game. But I don't think people should be allowed to cancel books from separate orders. Say you buy two books, then 3 days later order another two books. If one of the books in your first order doesn't come through, you should be able to cancel that order. But not the one that you made later. If orders are treated holistically, that seems fair to me.

And as far as not paying for books, well, what can they do to you really. If you pay by credit card, I would imagine you could just send the stuff back and call your CC company. The worst they can do is not accept your bids anymore. So if you want to reject an order, I don't see what's to stop you, really...unless you've sent a money order or a check. In that case, you'll have to get on the horn with Josh, I suppose.

Out of curiosity, is this whole discussion prefaced on a real event, or are we wholly in theory-world here?

Out of curiosity, is this whole discussion prefaced on a real event, or are we wholly in theory-world here?

From earlier in the thread:

I ordered 3 books from Comiclink.

My offers were accepted (comfirmed via e-mail) and the 3 books were placed in "my purchases" section under my account. Additionally the 3 books were marked "sale pending" on their website.

I received a package in the mail last week that contained only 2 of the 3 books and was not charged for the third. Upon calling Comiclink to inquire about the third book (which I really, really wanted) I was told that the owner had previously sold the book at a con and forgot to inform Comiclink. Even though my original offer for that book was counter offered and I countered back till the owner accepted my offer!

And as far as not paying for books, well, what can they do to you really.

I was just half-joking, as we all know auction sites will let sellers get away with murder, while nailing bidders to the wall.

A seller says "I forgot I already sold the book" or "my dog ate my CGC case" and we all nod our heads and move on.

A buyer says "I forgot I already spent all my money" or "my dog ate my wallet" and we string him up by the nearest telephone pole.

I would like to ses Comiclink have sellers "reconfirm" their books for sale like every 3 months or so. If they are not confirmed, they would be deleted. This would help with the congestion of books sitting there for over a year with no activity. It also would help lessen the chance of bidding on books that are no longer available for sale.

That's a good idea. It would only take a few minutes to click confirm on all your listings once ComicLink sends you an initial and final warning e-mail.

What bothered me last year was when I was looking for a copy of Fight Comics #33 in mid grade. I noticed a VG/FN copy on Ebay with one day before bidding ended. I automatically checked all dealer websites for comparison and found a VG+ copy on ComicLink. Since I know Josh grades well I decided to purchase the book for $150 on CL instead of taking a chance on Ebay. However, a couple of days later, I received a notice from CL telling me the book is not available. At this point I became upset since I missed my chance on purchasing the book on Ebay as well.

I have always had great service from Comiclink. The only thing that bothers me is when I order a book outright at the asking price only to get an e-mail a day or so later that somebody else bought it first. It would be so much better if the site could immediately show an order has been made, so saving all the waiting and wondering. And you would also know that the system was fair. When my order fails I then start to get quirky and think "Did they choose a favorite customer over me?" or "Did somebody follow up their order with pushy calls so Comiclink gave it them for an easy life?" I'm sure they are fair but it would be nice to get an "order pending" or whatever rather than wonder if I am the first or fiftieth to try to buy.

I have always had great service from Comiclink. The only thing that bothers me is when I order a book outright at the asking price only to get an e-mail a day or so later that somebody else bought it first. It would be so much better if the site could immediately show an order has been made, so saving all the waiting and wondering. And you would also know that the system was fair. When my order fails I then start to get quirky and think "Did they choose a favorite customer over me?" or "Did somebody follow up their order with pushy calls so Comiclink gave it them for an easy life?" I'm sure they are fair but it would be nice to get an "order pending" or whatever rather than wonder if I am the first or fiftieth to try to buy.

just had this happen twice- leaves a bit of a sour taste.

I really don't like the idea of someone listing their books in 2 different places at once. If they want to list their book on Ebay or some other venue, then they should remove it from Comiclink first. If the deal falls through on Ebay, then they can relist it again. Seriously, if I already have the scans on my system, it only takes me about 30 seconds to relist each book. If I'm not sure whether I want to sell the book or not, then I either list it with a high value (which I'd gladly sell it for if met), or don't list it at all. It's as simple as that.

Just to clear this up - sellers are prohibited from listing their items on ComicLink and other 3rd party venues at the same time. If we see that a seller is doing that, the item in violation is deleted (and at our discretion, perhaps all the sellers items along with it) and the sellers account may be cancelled permanently. If anyone sees a double listing, and you email us at buysell@comiclink.com about it, we will take immediate action.

That said, we will not prevent a dealer from taking his item to a convention and selling it, as long as he deletes the item as soon as he gets back from the convention. In the case described above, it was an honest dealer mistake. He came back from the convention and went online to see his ComicLink bids received. He did not remember selling one particular book (as he sold many) and he sold it again on ComicLink. When he went to pull the book, and it was not there, he realized it was gone. This particular seller is a very reliable long-term ComicLink seller and not one to do anything dishonest. He understands that he needs to be more careful in the future and I do not expect it to happen again. It also was not the case where the book would have sold for significantly more elsewhere so it is easy to eliminate that possibility. If I thought that happened, then the seller would be prevented from listing on ComicLink permanently (as was the case and the result when it happened months ago with a 9.8 Fantastic Four issue in the 100's). I am not sure of the exact issue number but I'm sure you board historians out there can pull it up on no time smile.gif

In this particular case, I agree that the buyer should have been notified by ComicLink in advance of receiving the package that one of the items was not available (because it was already confirmed available due to the seller mistake). Not calling the buyer *was* a ComicLink error. All this said, no system or customer service department is perfect, but we do the very best we can to satisfy both buyers and sellers. When an error like this is made, we do our best to make sure it does not occur a second time. We want all of you guys to be satisfied with our service as much as possible!

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com