• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Comic Covers Ever - Let's See 'Em!

721 posts in this topic

Which comic was it that had a horrendously drawn Batman hanging outside a window like some costumed peeping Tom?

That was one ugly cover.

Was it this one? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

47741185612.193.GIF

Which comic was it that had a horrendously drawn Batman hanging outside a window like some costumed peeping Tom?

That was one ugly cover.

47741185612.193.GIF

that would be the one. a cornerstone of any "snow globe cover" collection, to be sure

That was one ugly cover.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

This thread is useless without this cover:

WebOfSpider-Man100.jpg

The good ole' Armored Spidey.....You could take any Saviuk or Sal Buscema cover from that era (1990-94) and it would qualify for this thread.

Sal sure fell from grace in the 90's. He did some pretty solid artwork in his heyday (mid-70's). Even his earlier work on his second go-around on Spectacular was good (the Sin-Eater storyline, late #130's?). His artwork changed over to gawd awful when Tombstone was introduced (right around when McFarlane started hitting it big on ASM). FFB has noted before a change in the inking style.

I have to wonder what kind of budget Charlton had left over for some of the Romance covers during their waning years. Here is one from FEB '76. It looks like what a junior-high school girl would scribble on her notebook with a magic marker.

charlton1.jpg

They were going to spend big money on a cover of a comic that was going to sell 15,000 copies (with 75,000 returns) at 25 cents each?

Honestly, I don't think that's bad at all, just trying to be a little different.

I have to wonder what kind of budget Charlton had left over for some of the Romance covers during their waning years. Here is one from FEB '76. It looks like what a junior-high school girl would scribble on her notebook with a magic marker.

charlton1.jpg

In terms of sheer bad or inept art I think we have a winner! 27_laughing.gif

Amazingly, at a comic show that I set up at last Sunday, a customer specifically asked for '70s Charlton Romance books.

Clearly that market is about to boom....

They were going to spend big money on a cover of a comic that was going to sell 15,000 copies (with 75,000 returns) at 25 cents each?

Honestly, I don't think that's bad at all, just trying to be a little different.

I think it's abhorrent. tongue.gif Seriously, I doubt a comic with a cover like that would've pulled in any punters...Charlton art, especially in the '70s was terrible enough - if the money had to go anywhere it should've been on the cover.

Plus the title of the book is emetic enough... 27_laughing.gif

Amazingly, at a comic show that I set up at last Sunday, a customer specifically asked for '70s Charlton Romance books.

Clearly that market is about to boom...

boom like what,

the IF 15 Variant??? (111% from last years OS guide)

Now THAT'S a BOOM!

893whatthe.gif

i think the cover is meant to appeal to 12 year old girls in 1976, not 45 year old men.

But it was usually 45 year old men drawing the covers not 12 year old girls. I understand your point that as a genre, Romance comic's target audience was the pre-teen set. But there were many artists who accomplished that same objective with great artwork. Some of the Charlton covers during this time that were Romita-type swipes weren't half bad. That particular cover looks as if though they lost the original cover artwork, had a deadline looming and just grabbed someone's kid and told them to quickly doodle something.

i think the cover is meant to appeal to 12 year old girls in 1976, not 45 year old men.

But it was usually 45 year old men drawing the covers not 12 year old girls. I understand your point that as a genre, Romance comic's target audience was the pre-teen set. But there were many artists who accomplished that same objective with great artwork. Some of the Charlton covers during this time that were Romita-type swipes weren't half bad. That particular cover looks as if though they lost the original cover artwork, had a deadline looming and just grabbed someone's kid and told them to quickly doodle something.

GCD:

Mike Vosburg? (painting)

I agree that in this case different isn't necessarily good.

Jack

not to mention the uber-meticulous attention to detail the paste-up person did getting the stats nice and aligned

I don't care what you guys think, she's hot!

And I will specifically hunt that one down!

But hey, there's a lot of terrible cover art on those 70's Charltons. I was alsways confused how some of the horror titles would have cool painted covers one month and the next month would be a line drawing executed with the skills of an 11 year old.