• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Comic Covers Ever - Let's See 'Em!

721 posts in this topic

The modern covers win it for me. They're not only unbelievably ugly, but have an inbred quality - like they're showing characters and visual motifs that have been drawn so often before that the only way left to be original is to make them literally disgusting to look at.

I second this opinion thumbsup2.gif

Laziest and worst cover ever is OMAC #1 White cover. Nothing will ever beat that.

1114806-2737_4_006.jpg

Actually I remember that cover on the stands. It really stood out and while a tad frugal was a kinda cool con wink.gifcept - kinda like comics version on the White Album.

Yeah, until you opened the book and there were 7(?) pages of blank panels with word balloons. Then it wasn't so cool anymore.

I've posted this one elsewhere, but I never get enough of it's WTF?!? factor:

Daredevil Comics #82

dd_82.jpg

(The box in the middle advertises a contest) gossip.gif

Thanks. That's the one I mentioned a couple of posts up. A complete screwy.gif cover. I have always wondered if this was a last minute fix when there was a problem with cover art? What's the contest about? Is it done by Lev Gleason or by an outside advertiser?

Thanks. That's the one I mentioned a couple of posts up. A complete screwy.gif cover. I have always wondered if this was a last minute fix when there was a problem with cover art? What's the contest about? Is it done by Lev Gleason or by an outside advertiser?

Contest done by Lev Gleason. A game called "Scramblehead" confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's the contest page:

scramblehead.jpg

I've always assumed that this cover was the result of a last minute screw-up. But it's strange that Biro wouldn't have been able to bang something out (or have someone else do it) considering his consistent output over the years. Maybe it was intentional? I guess it's distinctive.

As a side note, I'm glad that no one decided to cut the heads out of my copy as an entry for this contest. Interestingly, Lev Gleason also had a "value stamp" program for a couple of years. The stamps could be clipped out of the comics ( 893whatthe.gif) and sent in for a set of collectible character cards featuring Lev Gleason characters. I've been searching for these cards for a couple years and I've yet to find any mention of them. I'm beginning to wonder if they were ever produced.

I've always assumed that this cover was the result of a last minute screw-up. But it's strange that Biro wouldn't have been able to bang something out (or have someone else do it) considering his consistent output over the years. Maybe it was intentional? I guess it's distinctive.

thumbsup2.gif I agree and the thought crossed my mind as well that it would've been easier to get another cover done slap-dash than creating the contest; you'd think. That's a knock against the late in the game cover art foul-up theory. Going back to the Biro could've done it aspect. Has it been clearly established that Biro did not do all the covers he "signed"? or is it just hear-say?

Omac 1

Some one smarter than me interpret this cover for me and tell me that someone in a box?? is not giving birth to a woman. Cover makes no sense,..........

Lastly there are some incredible ugly covers that I didn't even know about. What a great thread.........

I've posted this one elsewhere, but I never get enough of it's WTF?!? factor:

Daredevil Comics #82

dd_82.jpg

(The box in the middle advertises a contest) gossip.gif

That's on the front page of the GCD site now. Is it yours?

Here's another minimalist cover from Mad...

701.jpg

Pic of MTU 128?

1114328-2056_4_128.jpg

Oh lord. Sorry I asked. 893whatthe.gif

If those two dorks are the last line of defense against the villians in life. GOD HELP US ALL!!!!

That is way bad.

This one gets my vote for worst cover ever.

That's Joe Jusko in the Capt. America costume. Seriously!!!

Isn't it funny that my pick for the worst cover ever is also one of my favorites... It's like Enid's quote from Ghost World how some things go from bad to worse to brilliant...

pizzazz5.jpg

Close...but still not as bad as the Marvel team up