• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Comic Covers Ever - Let's See 'Em!

721 posts in this topic

Isn't it funny that my pick for the worst cover ever is also one of my favorites... It's like Enid's quote from Ghost World how some things go from bad to worse to brilliant...

pizzazz5.jpg

Whoah...FLASHBACK! I used to subscrtibe to that...can you all forgive me?

No.

893censored-thumb.gif

Thanks buddy, your the best thumbsup2.gif

flowerred.gif

27_laughing.gif

I am still reeling...i forogot about the mag for almost 2 decades until this scan showed up. Now admit it...your a closet addict yourself poke2.gif

1114558-1570_4_00262.jpg

I never noticed the image in the mirror before. Can someone crop just that portion of the cover & post it . 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Isn't that a guy standing in an open doorway and taking his picture?

Yeah, that's right. Read that issue when it came out, as I recall a photog snapped a picture of Peter changing clothes, and then the rest of the issue was Spidey trying to get the film from the guy.

The Sam Keith post.

1114605-3654_4_092.jpg1114605-3654_4_094.jpg

i really like those covers, specially the second one...even at the "begining" of his career, Keith could would draw some great stuff... 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

regards

I agree, Sam Kieth did some amazing work on MCP. These covers do not belong on this thread. confused-smiley-013.gif

Has it been clearly established that Biro did not do all the covers he "signed"? or is it just hear-say?

Can't answer this for sure. I know that he did not write all the stories that are credited to his name (Robert Bernstein wrote many if not most according to Gleason expert Michael Feldman), but I can't be sure about the cover art. I will say that the drafting style is pretty distinctive and I suspect that he at least pencilled the great majority though the inking might be another story. There does seem to be some variance, though I need to investigate this further. I'd certainly like to here other's opinions and info on this.

1114558-1570_4_00262.jpg

I never noticed the image in the mirror before. Can someone crop just that portion of the cover & post it . 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Isn't that a guy standing in an open doorway and taking his picture?

Yeah, that's right. Read that issue when it came out, as I recall a photog snapped a picture of Peter changing clothes, and then the rest of the issue was Spidey trying to get the film from the guy.

Looking at all other photo covers, this one isn't really that bad in my opinion... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

1114328-2056_4_128.jpg

by all criteria - this one has got to be the worst.

it looks like some grade two elementary school cut out pasted onto a newspaper.

i don't think anyone can say that the cover makes them want to read the book, which is largely, the whole intent of a cover...

Isn't it funny that my pick for the worst cover ever is also one of my favorites... It's like Enid's quote from Ghost World how some things go from bad to worse to brilliant...

pizzazz5.jpg

Check out the loving glance Cap is giving doctor strange. 893whatthe.gif

1114328-2056_4_128.jpg

by all criteria - this one has got to be the worst.

it looks like some grade two elementary school cut out pasted onto a newspaper.

That cover is SO BAD that the first time I saw it I thought they used cheesy plastic action figures for the images of Cap and Spidey. I was even more horrified to take a closer look and see actual people in those woolworth halloween costumes. C'mon! Joe Jusko? Couldn't they even get a couple of weightlifters from the local Y to squeeze into those things?

Gets my first place vote....2nd is the Pizazz Linda Ronstadt....3rd is Cruisin' Cap.

The Sam Keith post.

1114605-3654_4_092.jpg1114605-3654_4_094.jpg

i really like those covers, specially the second one...even at the "begining" of his career, Keith could would draw some great stuff... 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

regards

I agree, Sam Kieth did some amazing work on MCP. These covers do not belong on this thread. confused-smiley-013.gif

Kieth is a very good artist, but that MCP 94 definitely deserves exposure here. tongue.gif

All "Pizzazz" subscribers should be forgiven. The cool thing about that mag (at least the early issues) is that they featured a two- or three-page origin reprint of a different Marvel Superhero, along with a FAQ (before there were such things).

That feature introduced me to the Hulk, Dr. Strange, Iron Man...