• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Comic Covers Ever - Let's See 'Em!

721 posts in this topic

gotta agree with the others MK. That is a cool cover. Think "context". It would be kinda lame if someone did it today...but good grief....that's about 60 years old!

Red

This next cover sickens me :sumo:

Please feel free to send this disgusting piece of garbage my way :shy:

cap110k237.jpg

Yeah, that Steranko guy didn't have a clue, eh? meh

what! you guys didnt know that Hulk was 28 feet tall!.. Or was it.. that Cap is 14 inches tall?.. hmmm, hm

cap110k237.jpg

the only thing i can attribute the near-universal appeal of this cover is some sort of mass hysteria.

so, the fact that the Hulk's arm is coming out of his right boob doesn't really bother anyone? that Bucky is about a foot and a half tall? the Hulk's bottom lip is not coloured in?

God, i hate that cover. well, not so much the cover, but the overratedness of it. if that were a Leifeld cover, it would be uniformly reviled as the abomination it is

cap110k237.jpg

the only thing i can attribute the near-universal appeal of this cover is some sort of mass hysteria.

so, the fact that the Hulk's arm is coming out of his right boob doesn't really bother anyone? that Bucky is about a foot and a half tall? the Hulk's bottom lip is not coloured in?

God, i hate that cover. well, not so much the cover, but the overratedness of it. if that were a Leifeld cover, it would be uniformly reviled as the abomination it is

You know...technically every flaw you mention is absolutely true. But in art, what's more important is the gestalt, the whole. Personally, I always notice the weirdness of the Huliks right arm, but discomfort with that part of the drawing is washed away by the way that Caps uniform bunches up just a little in his lower back. Those little details are just great.

Take a look at the way those bricks cascade down. They're not just a bunch of falling bricks....you can sense the power that caused the entire wall to implode. Nice use of solid blacks and indirect lighting throughout. Steranko was channeling both Kirby and Eisner for sure....among others.

The coloring of the lower lip is just a misprint, I don't think Steranko did any of the actual coloring. I actually prefer the cover of #111 more, but #110 was also the first time the curved lettering was used in the title along with the stars elements. It was quite the eye-catcher at the time. It was like Kirby on crack!

So yep, it's flawed... but it's classic.

Red

cap110k237.jpg

You know...technically every flaw you mention is absolutely true. But in art, what's more important is the gestalt, the whole. Personally, I always notice the weirdness of the Huliks right arm, but discomfort with that part of the drawing is washed away by the way that Caps uniform bunches up just a little in his lower back. Those little details are just great.

Take a look at the way those bricks cascade down. They're not just a bunch of falling bricks....you can sense the power that caused the entire wall to implode. Nice use of solid blacks and indirect lighting throughout. Steranko was channeling both Kirby and Eisner for sure....among others.

The coloring of the lower lip is just a misprint, I don't think Steranko did any of the actual coloring. I actually prefer the cover of #111 more, but #110 was also the first time the curved lettering was used in the title along with the stars elements. It was quite the eye-catcher at the time. It was like Kirby on crack!

So yep, it's flawed... but it's classic.

Red

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)