• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

You’d be wrong. Look at the second part of the barcode. If it has 5 numbers it’s a Direct Edition. If it has 2 numbers it’s a newsstand. Marvel also stopped newsstand distribution after 2013. I believe DC was 2017. 

Edited by Corona smith

2 hours ago, Corona smith said:

You’d be wrong. Look at the second part of the barcode. If it has 5 numbers it’s a Direct Edition. If it has 2 numbers it’s a newsstand. Marvel also stopped newsstand distribution after 2013. I believe DC was 2017. 

Thanks for this info!:smile: Now I know...and knowing is half the battle!(thumbsu

Ok, here's another one I picked up which has thrown me off. While digging in the clearance bin I saw this Over The Edge issue with the blank UPC box. I love finding oddities and what not so needless to say I bought it. (Hey it was only 50 cents...so why not)

Well when I got home I took it out of the yucky bag and board it'd been kept in and saw that Professor Xavier and the X-Men was on the flip side of the issue. Huh?:| Now it's a Newsstand copy but why does one side have a barcode and the other doesn't? Did they seriously sell these outside the comic shops!:S The indicia says Professor Xavier and the X-Men/Over The Edge vol 1. No. 3, January 1995.

Anyone have any info on this issue or this run???? (And BTW - what's with that depressing Prof. X & the X-Men cover!:()

Cheers!

Hulk_Edge.jpg

ProfX3.jpg

19 hours ago, Twinvirgos said:
22 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Thanks for this info!:smile: Now I know...and knowing is half the battle!(thumbsu

A visual... for others who might not have seen it before:

ns_v_de_right.png

On 4/13/2021 at 7:38 PM, Twinvirgos said:

Ok, here's another one I picked up which has thrown me off. While digging in the clearance bin I saw this Over The Edge issue with the blank UPC box. I love finding oddities and what not so needless to say I bought it. (Hey it was only 50 cents...so why not)

Well when I got home I took it out of the yucky bag and board it'd been kept in and saw that Professor Xavier and the X-Men was on the flip side of the issue. Huh?:| Now it's a Newsstand copy but why does one side have a barcode and the other doesn't? Did they seriously sell these outside the comic shops!:S The indicia says Professor Xavier and the X-Men/Over The Edge vol 1. No. 3, January 1995.

Anyone have any info on this issue or this run???? (And BTW - what's with that depressing Prof. X & the X-Men cover!:()

Cheers!

Hulk_Edge.jpg

ProfX3.jpg

Back in the mid 90s Marvel had a line of 99cent comics in the direct market. I assume there was a minimum price that they had to sell newsstand comics for so they would combine two of these issues and sell them for $1.95 on the newsstand. One page back in this thread I posted a couple examples of Untold Tales of Spider-Man/ Fantastic Four Unplugged which are another example of when they did this. The first issues of these flipbooks actually had barcodes on both sides but later they started only putting them on one side and leaving the other blank. Hope that helps!

Edited by bshowell

23 hours ago, bshowell said:

Back in the mid 90s Marvel had a line of 99cent comics in the direct market. I assume there was a minimum price that they had to sell newsstand comics for so they would combine two of these issues and sell them for $1.95 on the newsstand. Two pages back in this thread I posted a couple examples of Untold Tales of Spider-Man/ Fantastic Four Unplugged which are another example of when they did this. The first issues of these flipbooks actually had barcodes on both sides but later they started only putting them on one side and leaving the other blank. Hope that helps!

Yes, this helps immensely!  Thanks so much!! :)

With the recent discussion about when certain publishers ended their newsstand distribution I thought it would be fun to highlight these...Marvel's characters actually made a brief return to the newsstand in 2017-2018, but only as part of a strange deal with Archie comics. Archie published a monthly digest-format title called "Marvel Comics Digest" that reprinted something like 10-12 different comics with a focus on a different character or team each month. This arrangement between Marvel and Archie lasted for less than a year and the series was cancelled after 8 issues.

Issue #4 focused on the X-Men, with content ranging from early Lee/Kirby issues up through some oddball stuff from the early 2010's (Despite the cover, Giant-Size X-Men #1 is not included). Here is the US newsstand edition as well as a Canadian price variant:

IMG_4791.thumb.jpg.28b1311813585a2d620916abafe1ff26.jpg 

Edited by andyborehol

On 4/8/2021 at 12:54 PM, bshowell said:

A few more...

20210408_125228.jpg

20210408_125243.jpg

20210408_125258.jpg

20210408_125315.jpg

Grading question:  (disclaimer:  my knowledge of GCC criteria is zippo)   I thought 9.8 was pretty much flawless, only extremely difficult to spot tiny defects.   For Astonishing X-men #3 I see a small (but nevertheless perceptible even in the photo) spine bend, about straight to the left of the bottom of the "X".   I thought something like that would drop the condition to a 9.6.   Not complaining, as this means a lot of my issues that I thought were 9.6's may be 9.8's, but I, maybe erroneously, thought that 9.8 meant basically flawless  --bshowell, if what I think is a spine bend is really not a spine bend, feel free to call me a insufficiently_thoughtful_person and move on  :-)    

16 hours ago, George Brent said:

Grading question:  (disclaimer:  my knowledge of GCC criteria is zippo)   I thought 9.8 was pretty much flawless, only extremely difficult to spot tiny defects.   For Astonishing X-men #3 I see a small (but nevertheless perceptible even in the photo) spine bend, about straight to the left of the bottom of the "X".   I thought something like that would drop the condition to a 9.6.   Not complaining, as this means a lot of my issues that I thought were 9.6's may be 9.8's, but I, maybe erroneously, thought that 9.8 meant basically flawless  --bshowell, if what I think is a spine bend is really not a spine bend, feel free to call me a insufficiently_thoughtful_person and move on  :-)    

It's my understanding that as long as they don't break color a couple of spine ticks are allowed in 9.8 condition but I'm not an expert on CGC grading either. You are right, this issue does have a couple of ticks.

20210419_122111.jpg

20210419_122107.jpg

8 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Anyone know if these are rare? ASM 695 and 696

I usually pick late ASM newsstands but forgot if these are some of the harder to find ones... also I'm happy to sell if you need it 

20210419_132222.jpg

These are from late 2012 and I believe Marvel killed off its newsstand distribution the following year. I'm probably not your huckleberry but out of curiosity what are you looking for for these? :gossip:

23 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

These are from late 2012 and I believe Marvel killed off its newsstand distribution the following year. I'm probably not your huckleberry but out of curiosity what are you looking for for these? :gossip:

Someone PM me 100 bucks for both so I guess around that much??  I remember ASM 694 was the lowest number off all with 700 copies or something... just curious what the population is for 695 and 696...

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Someone PM me 100 bucks for both so I guess around that much??  I remember ASM 694 was the lowest number off all with 700 copies or something... just curious what the population is for 695 and 696...

Wow. Didn't know the population was that low.

This could be like when I was outbid on an auction that included the All No-Price variant of ASM #184. Still polybagged. Haven't even seen one come up for sale since. I thought I was for sure going to pass but now... might have to sell some of these Ms. Marvel 16's I picked up today :pullhair:

4 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Wow. Didn't know the population was that low.

This could be like when I was outbid on an auction that included the All No-Price variant of ASM #184. Still polybagged. Haven't even seen one come up for sale since. I thought I was for sure going to pass but now... might have to sell some of these Ms. Marvel 16's I picked up today :pullhair:

Yes ASM 694 has a population of 780?  That's insane.