• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Interesting. 

@mr_highgrade posted that number from a few years ago... he quoted it from some rare comic website...

The only thing that I recall regarding Spidey #694 was that there was a poster offering to pay a small fortune for a HG newsstand copy. I think he offered around $750.00 or so. It was the only newsie that he was missing from completing a complete run of Spidey newsies. I am almost sure that he eventually found a copy. 

On 4/19/2021 at 11:59 PM, mr_highgrade said:

The only thing that I recall regarding Spidey #694 was that there was a poster offering to pay a small fortune for a HG newsstand copy. I think he offered around $750.00 or so. It was the only newsie that he was missing from completing a complete run of Spidey newsies. I am almost sure that he eventually found a copy. 

We need more people like him!

mainly so I can unload a box or two and move around my basement a bit easier

7 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

I see that the Marvel Must Have Wolverine newsie I posted is two bucks more than the direct edition $6.99 vs. $4.99 - Yikes! 

They have it coded as a "Marvel Authors" title at the bottom of the barcode.  There are no books actually called "Marvel Authors" are there?

The (other, $4.99) Wolverine is "Marvel Comics Presents".

Edited by valiantman

56 minutes ago, valiantman said:

They have it coded as a "Marvel Authors" title at the bottom of the barcode.  There are no books actually called "Marvel Authors" are there?

The (other, $4.99) Wolverine is "Marvel Comics Presents".

There was some discussion on this thread about the coding of the newsstand issues and how it doesn't match up to the particular title in many instances. I think the theory was that it was too much of a hassle to change it so the codes didn't match a lot of the time. Not sure what "Marvel Authors" is meant to represent as far as a category of titles - reprints like this one maybe?

Anyway, here's a pic I grabbed off of eBay of the direct edition of this book, no coding for the direct edition and it's $2.00 cheaper than the newsie version. I have to believe that there weren't a whole lot of buyers at the $6.99 price point even if it is three issues in one. (shrug)

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by mrwoogieman

On 4/19/2021 at 10:59 PM, BoogieWoogie said:

Wow. Didn't know the population was that low.

This could be like when I was outbid on an auction that included the All No-Price variant of ASM #184. Still polybagged. Haven't even seen one come up for sale since. I thought I was for sure going to pass but now... might have to sell some of these Ms. Marvel 16's I picked up today :pullhair:

So someone PMed me and told me ASM 695 and 696 were only sold at books a million and barnes and noble and likely only 600 copies exist. 

2 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

There was some discussion on this thread about the coding of the newsstand issues and how it doesn't match up to the particular title in many instances. I think the theory was that it was too much of a hassle to change it so the codes didn't match a lot of the time. Not sure what "Marvel Authors" is meant to represent as far as a category of titles - reprints like this one maybe?

Anyway, here's a pic I grabbed off of eBay of the direct edition of this book, no coding for the direct edition and it's $2.00 cheaper than the newsie version. I have to believe that there weren't a whole lot of buyers at the $6.99 price point even if it is three issues in one. (shrug)

s-l1600.jpg

It wasn't so much that is was a hassle as there was a startup fee for new titles so Marvel would just let new titles take over for titles that had ended to avoid the fee. If I remember correctly the Marvel Authors was what they were publishing the old, famous authors line they had before these issues (titles like Christmas Carol and other literary classics) until that line ended and this Wolverine series took that title over. 

On 4/19/2021 at 11:10 PM, Wolverinex said:

Someone quoted on the boards that the ASM 694 newsstand only had 780 total copies.  Trying to find their source. 

They very likely are going off comichron numbers using the % of newsstands produced that year. 

So if it was at 1% of 78,000 would be 780 newsstands.  Which seems to be in the ballpark numbers for ASM.  According to the guesstimate charts available online such as below. 

493C66CB-C262-4F96-B8A9-02EEF175CF85.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

They very likely are going off comichron numbers using the % of newsstands produced that year. 

So if it was at 1% of 78,000 would be 780 newsstands.  Which seems to be in the ballpark numbers for ASM.  According to the guesstimate charts available online such as below. 

493C66CB-C262-4F96-B8A9-02EEF175CF85.jpeg

Interesting so these wolverine issues from 2003 i found are pretty low print as well....