• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look like a 9.8?
2 2

98 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I think it's a perfectly fine 9.8  tbf people need to understand that 9.8s arent mints or gem mints.

Golly thanks for that tip! Never heard that one before.......

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'd like to find the originator of it, so I can personally thank him

'Touche' would have been a better answer Hollywood. 

Step back, read Jim's post above and consider what you are doing. 

18 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'd like to find the originator of it, so I can personally thank him

you have started many interesting threads since you joined here Hollywood ! it has been very refreshing to have an enthusiastic new member join here !! many new members are immediately driven away by the cliques that believe you should post a certain way or not post at all...  there is absolutely zero advice that needs to be heeded that comes from the old members here ...

you are doing just fine as you are !! don't let any of the negative people in this thread get you down ....

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

you have started many interesting threads since you joined here Hollywood ! it has been very refreshing to have an enthusiastic new member join here !! many new members are immediately driven away by the cliques that believe you should post a certain way or not post at all...  there is absolutely zero advice that needs to be heeded that comes from the old members here ...

you are doing just fine as you are !! don't let any of the negative people in this thread get you down ....

2 hours ago, kav said:

I believe it is up to me to treat everyone as they want to be treated, not the way I want treat them.  Who knows what someone's background is they may have been mercilessly mocked by older sibling and are sensitive to that. 

At what point does this consideration end, and you feel you know a person you've never met well enough to justify ribbing or arguing with them? 

Sure, people can feel they know who a person is from back and forths after a length of time, but that works both ways, doesn't it? Using that mindset, people are just as right about "you" as "you" are about "them", and here we are.

I suppose with the changing times it actually will be necessary to assume someone you just met is a fragile flower, who cannot be joked with or disagreed with.

Thank God "we" weren't like this before WWII  broke out.

13 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

At what point does this consideration end, and you feel you know a person you've never met well enough to justify ribbing or arguing with them? 

Sure, people can feel they know who a person is from back and forths after a length of time, but that works both ways, doesn't it? Using that mindset, people are just as right about "you" as "you" are about "them", and here we are.

I suppose with the changing times it actually will be necessary to assume someone you just met is a fragile flower, who cannot be joked with or disagreed with.

Thank God "we" weren't like this before WWII  broke out.

Very good question I was hoping someone would ask it.  If someone attacks you repeatedly then you do not have to have consideration for them-at all.  A new member who has not attacked anyone should never be 'gone after' just because they asked what you consider a dumb question.

Edited by kav

38 minutes ago, kav said:

Very good question I was hoping someone would ask it.  If someone attacks you repeatedly then you do not have to have consideration for them-at all.  A new member who has not attacked anyone should never be 'gone after' just because they asked what you consider a dumb question.

And wouldn't you consider someone being new too the hobby a little ignorant when it comes to collecting?

I think their queries are justified

1 hour ago, kav said:

A new member who has not attacked anyone should never be 'gone after' just because they asked what you consider a dumb question.

I didn't realize it was as black and white as that. The grade number joke was an attack? 

I remember someone somewhere posted an image of a NM98 CGC 9.6 and asked if it was a newsstand. I pointed out the barcode and also asked if he wanted to know the grade. All in good fun, and I'm glad he survived.

Just now, MR SigS said:

I didn't realize it was as black and white as that. The grade number joke was an attack? 

I remember someone somewhere posted an image of a NM98 CGC 9.6 and asked if it was a newsstand. I pointed out the barcode and also asked if he wanted to know the grade. All in good fun, and I'm glad he survived.

I agree in this instance it's a bit subtle not cut and dried.  The grade number post could have been a good natured jest.  But other boardies have made very similar post that were definitely NOT good natured just a 'you must be stupid' type thing.  I believe it was intended as a good natured jest.  However, when the new member reacted because he felt it was an insult, the mature thing to do would be to apologize and explain it was just a joke and boardie meant no harm.  That would have been the end of it, and perhaps a new friendship would have developed.  The wrong tack, again IMO, is to start saying you need to 'toughen up' to 'fit in here'.  Now No one wants to hear that.  Everyone reacts to things differently, especially when they are new somewhere.  As veterans we should be cognizant of that and be a little more flexible.

8 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

Sounds like it was a close call... :eek:

4 minutes ago, jokiing said:

But.... miraclemet did apologize and was ignored. I went back and reread his so called insult and I don't see it. The "9.8" images are followed with advice suggesting not to buy if concerned (as did many others).... This was followed by the victim name calling and claiming  "I obviously know how to make a decision as to whether to buy a book, or not." .... miraclemet did the mature thing.... not so much the Iconic1s

I didnt see an apology per se but Met did explain in a reasonable fashion but it was after thread already went south with people telling iconic to lighten up, accusing him of having a thin skin, by another member so it wasnt so much he 'ignored' miraclemet as that he felt another attack from another direction so was distracted by that, and then another member scolded him and said it was a good natured ribbing, and telling him how he should act, etc.  I have been that new member and it can be a bit overwhelming when several members seem to jump on you and it's easy to lose focus.  Maybe if just met had replied, and iconic got a chance to absorb that in peace, things would have turned out differently.  

I have always been an advocate for going the extra mile with new members, having myself had one of the worst receptions ever as a new member.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:30 PM, miraclemet said:

sorry if you felt talked down to. I was trying to be humorous while still making a point (I'd hate to imagine these board with no humor in them!) 

my point was, and is, based on my experience some collectors, who are only interested in the mintiest of mint copies are more apt to be disappointed in online purchases of pre-slabbed cgc 9.8 copies, and that (again based on my observation of these collectors) they are most likely to be happy with either an a) in hand inspection of a mint copy in order to confirm its condition meets their expectations or b)purchase of an online copy that has high resolution scans of the book (preferably raw for best stans) so that it can be reviewed inch by inch for any non-mint defects.

Purchasing 9.8 slabs from ebay, where the scans arent high res can lead the the situation you seem headed toward which is you buy the book, get the book and then when in hand notice things not visible (to anyone) on a slab scan (like the one posted here) which leads to you having to return it and the ebay seller having to eat the shipping cost both ways. If you are ok with accepting some risk, knowing that it's possible that your CGC 9.8 purchase might not meet your personal 9.8 or nm/mt definition then go ahead and buy with the plan to keep the book. 

I do not think you are stupid for asking the question. I hope you dont find my actual answer, while not the answer to the question you posed, stupid either as it's based on years of observation of collector behavior. Sorry my attempt at humor around my answer landed wrong with you, hopefully no harm, no foul. 

Good luck in your collecting and I hope you find a book that makes you happy!

12 minutes ago, kav said:

I didnt see an apology per se but Met did explain in a reasonable fashion but it was after thread already went south with people telling iconic to lighten up, accusing him of having a thin skin, by another member so it wasnt so much he 'ignored' miraclemet as that he felt another attack from another direction so was distracted by that, and then another member scolded him and said it was a good natured ribbing, and telling him how he should act, etc.  I have been that new member and it can be a bit overwhelming when several members seem to jump on you and it's easy to lose focus.  Maybe if just met had replied, and iconic got a chance to absorb that in peace, things would have turned out differently.  

I have always been an advocate for going the extra mile with new members, having myself had one of the worst receptions ever as a new member.

This is the apology (page 2) I was referring too. I see your point about a few others suggesting that Iconic1s  lighten up, but reading his responses, I don't feel that he was overwhelmed; maybe pissed off.... I think he's capable of holding his own...

6 minutes ago, jokiing said:

This is the apology (page 2) I was referring too. I see your point about a few others suggesting that Iconic1s  lighten up, but reading his responses, I don't feel that he was overwhelmed; maybe pissed off.... I think he's capable of holding his own...

Thx - I missed that apology and that was top notch.  Unfortunately others had already started chipping in and thread had gone south.  Met is def a good dude, made a joke that wasnt received well.  You see what I mean tho about other comments towards iconic didnt help matters?

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

Thx - I missed that apology and that was top notch.  Unfortunately others had already started chipping in and thread had gone south.  Met is def a good dude, made a joke that wasnt received well.  You see what I mean tho about other comments towards him didnt help matters?

Yup.... and this thread has gone so far south that it's heading north again....