• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If Wolverine appeared in 2 panels of Hulk 180, then would it be his first appearance?
3 3

192 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 6:31 PM, kav said:

I'm going to argue that Wolverine hasnt appeared yet.  He hasn't  been in enough panels yet to qualify.

I disagree.  I think Wolverine has appeared in enough panels to qualify, but each book he appeared in for the past 47 years needs to be given "partial first appearance of Wolverine" in the description.  He'll be on his "partial second appearance" in comics printed from 2022 to 2068.  Then, in 2069, the label description should be "Wolverine '69. Nice."

Edited by valiantman

On 11/1/2021 at 10:21 PM, Terry JSA said:

I think we have our answer! Roy Thomas says that Hulk #180 is in fact Wolverine’s 1st appearance. 

"Obviously it's #180 because he's in that last panel," Thomas tells ComicBook.com. Thomas co-created the character with Len Wein and John Romita. "It's just that the other is a full story and the one's a panel of it. But the first appearance is in #180, obviously."

(shrug)

This is not a revelation. This is not news. This changes nothing.

On 11/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

Except that Hulk 180 begins the spooling out of Wolverine's back story in four panels on page 3 of the comic (even naming him as Weapon X), and what happens in the two panels on the last page is a direct continuation of the spooling out of that story.  He doesn't come out of nowhere in that final panel.  Of course, Hulk 181 continues the spooling out of Wolverine's story, and you cannot fully understand that story unless you have read Hulk 180.  

Incredible Hulk #180 pg. 3 (1st appearance of Wolverine in cameo issue &  1st mention of Weapon X page), in Dinesh Shamdasani's Marvel (interiors)  Comic Art Gallery Room

yup

On 11/2/2021 at 7:43 PM, Lazyboy said:

Well, that's just blatantly incorrect.

Let me reiterate that sentence. While he didn’t exactly say that, he still said ASM #299 was considered Venom’s 1st appearance until different resources changed it to ASM #300. 

Edited by Terry JSA

On 11/2/2021 at 7:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

Except that Hulk 180 begins the spooling out of Wolverine's back story in four panels on page 3 of the comic (even naming him as Weapon X), and what happens in the two panels on the last page is a direct continuation of the spooling out of that story.  He doesn't come out of nowhere in that final panel.  Of course, Hulk 181 continues the spooling out of Wolverine's story, and you cannot fully understand that story unless you have read Hulk 180.  

Incredible Hulk #180 pg. 3 (1st appearance of Wolverine in cameo issue &  1st mention of Weapon X page), in Dinesh Shamdasani's Marvel (interiors)  Comic Art Gallery Room

You said spooling.