• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP GUN: MAVERICK starring Tom Cruise (2020)
4 4

465 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2023 at 2:26 PM, drotto said:

It takes some special level of guts to try explain what Speilberg was trying to say.  He said what he said, there is no way you can infer or reinterpret what he ment to say. The man is a Hollywood legend and knows the business like few others, I think the statement stands for itself.

I agree he may have been putting some emphasis on non superhero films,  but that was not in the statement.  Also just superhero films, especially the fading MCU is not going to be able to hold up the theater business going forward.  No one film can save the theaters, we need a broad and healthy slate. 

that's one way of looking at it; it does invite another interpretation...

Many of you forget the Long Island restaurant crisis of 1963.  Maybe it is because of the other turbulent events of the 1960's but that is neither here not there. 

Here on Long Island a new sandwich was developed and named, "The Seaford Oyster Bay" or S.O.B. after the expressway that runs North to South in Nassau County of the same name.  For awhile, everyone loved that sandwich. No one could get enough this concoction and that was all that people wanted.  Eventually it got to the point that no one would go to any of the other restaurants if they were not serving S.O.B.s.  For the longest time that was all people wanted and they would cheer it on.  "This S.O.B. is better than that one."  "This S.O.B. wasn't any good at all."  The people that frequented these restaurants became known as S.O.B.s themselves, but again, that is another story. 

So, whatever happened to those restaurants that refused to add S.O.B.s to the menu?  Well they went out of business.  Meanwhile, people eventually got tired of S.O.B.s and they stopped going to the restaurants that were serving them.  The restaurants that served nothing but S.O.B.'s started to see a massive decline.  People wanted to go someplace else, but there was nowhere else to go.  So... they just stayed at home and made their own dinners.   The restaurant business as a whole was in decline and in danger of completely going under. 

Then in the summer of 1966, someone made the brave move and opened a massive restaurant that offered all of the dishes that people originally took for granted.  It was this restaurant that proved successful because it offered a variety of items on the menu.   Soon more types of these restaurants opened and specialized in some of the items on that menu and the restaurant business here on Long Island started to thrive again. 

Now, of course there were some holdovers that would only eat S.O.B.s.  They jeered and sneered at anyone who even suggested that there was other things to eat aside from an S.O.B.  They went out of their way to do this.  Like I said, they became known as S.O.B.'s themselves. 

Either way, it was healthy of the Long Island restaurant industry to expand and celebrate other great dishes after people realized that there was more to life than embracing that S.O.B. lifestyle.

Looks like though... that some never moved past it and are still S.O.B.s even today. 

Spielberg meant exactly what he said and he was right.  

Thank's Tom Cruise for showing audiences that there was more to life than eating and being an S.O.B. 

Side note... nowadays there is still ONE place that you can find an S.O.B.  That's at Cherry Valley in Whitestone Queens of all places. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.24.31 PM.png

On 2/26/2023 at 6:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

Breaking news! Paramount executive proclaims her billion dollar blockbuster is better than your billion dollar blockbuster. 

In other news, Soccer Mom A proclaims her honor roll kid is better than Soccer Mom B’s honor roll kid. Meanwhile, Walmart Mom is trying to figure out what to give her underachieving kid for dinner. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:30 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Breaking news! Paramount executive proclaims her billion dollar blockbuster is better than your billion dollar blockbuster. 

In other news, Soccer Mom A proclaims her honor roll kid is better than Soccer Mom B’s honor roll kid. Meanwhile, Walmart Mom is trying to figure out what to give her underachieving kid for dinner. 

What her billion dollar blockbuster made $1.4 billion plus, your made $432 million.  One of these things is not like the other. Yes, i will concede some loss of box office to COVID, but not $1 billion was lost.

On 2/26/2023 at 6:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

The Shang-Chi team must be very proud with this award.

I do wonder if the Paramount executives finally agreed to Tom Cruise’s pleas for a theater only release and scratched its day and date Paramount+ premiere in part because Shang-Chi several months earlier had proven to American movie studios that people will show up for a good movie if theaters are the only way to watch said movie. hm

Whatevs...

The original Top Gun was the highest grossing film the year it was released - and the year after that, and the year after that (1986-88).

Maverick got dethroned for the next year almost instantly by Avatar 2.

#TotalFailure

On 2/26/2023 at 12:39 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Whatevs...

The original Top Gun was the highest grossing film the year it was released - and the year after that, and the year after that (1986-88).

Maverick got dethroned for the next year almost instantly by Avatar 2.

#TotalFailure

:roflmao:

I recognize you are kidding. As that would be nuts to assume this. The awards are still pouring in.

List of accolades received by Top Gun: Maverick

On 2/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

I recognize you are kidding. As that would be nuts to assume this. The awards are still pouring in.

List of accolades received by Top Gun: Maverick

I'm not talking about awards - I'm talking about box office results.

Top Gun: Maverick was overtly less successful than the original, given that the original wasn't surpassed at the box office until 1989.

On 2/26/2023 at 6:13 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Top Gun: Maverick was overtly less successful than the original, given that the original wasn't surpassed at the box office until 1989.

:shiftyeyes:

Okay

On 2/26/2023 at 6:13 PM, Gatsby77 said:

So it was not as good because the other moves back then are not as good as the movies that come out now? 

So let's say we are golfing and stroll up to the first hole. 

• John gets a hole in one.
  • Everyone else in his party does the same hole in three strokes.

The next week, the same group goes golfing.  Again at the first hole:

• John again gets a hole in one.
  • Everyone else in his party this week does the same hole in two strokes.

So, does this mean that John's accomplishments are less meaningful since everyone else figured out a way to improve for that round? 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/11/2022 at 6:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

Watched Maverick a few weeks ago, regret not seeing it in the theater when I had the chance. The post above caught my eye as for me it is an interesting comparison of sequels. Taken as 4 movies (2 Frozens and 2 Top Guns) and as someone who liked all 4, I think in many ways Maverick was the bigger achievement and maybe the better movie. I felt the same about the second Frozen movie, I understood why the first movie was such a hit, a real classic Disney kind of story, new twists on old character types, and catchy songs...great formula if you can do it, but in some respects the sequel is a better movie, with more emotional impact, the songs weren't going to compare to the first, but the second moved me more than the first. Felt the same about Maverick, except much harder to do, such a long time from the original, in a time of very different sensibilities, the 1980s might as well be a different universe, to pull off a complete cinematic experience, enough of the old to resonate, enough that was new to seem fresh and relevant. The funny thing for me, was that I really felt like I was in a 80s movie again, in a good way, the pacing, the character development, even the over the top mission impossible was right on target in the story, the end was both kind of predictable  but still  satisfying, the last scene of  the movie was perfect, completely over  the top, but still perfect. 

I understand why some would trumpet it as "saving theaters" or whatever, my wife and I watched it on TV and both regretted we didn't see it in the theater first, one of the few times I've had that regret, at least in recent years...