• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

336-349

Batman Under the Red Hood tpb

Contents 

Batman 635-641, 645-650 Annual 25

This was the first time reading this and it was Great! I knew who the red hod was but I never knew the origin. I’m not sure if I liked the way he came back but everything else about the character seemed pretty cool and something I could definitely see myself reading more of.

image.jpg

Edited by Raze

On 8/1/2020 at 1:50 AM, ttfitz said:

My local comic shop manager has a thing he does every August, the Troy-David 100 Back Issue a Week Challenge. Each week in August (along with an extra 4 says of September to make an even 5 weeks) you try to read 100 of your back issues. I've done it the last 3 years, and was getting ready to do it again this year when I saw this thread. So I said to myself, Self, 2 birds.

Week 4 completed. 

Continuing from last week, my whole family continues reading Sandman, finishing The Doll's House with 14-16, and going back to read issues 1-7.

Also with my daughter, we finished STTNG Through the Mirror with issues 4-5, and started STTNG Terra Incognito, reading  1-4.

I continued with Captain Marvel, finishing off his own series with 55-62, and his run in Marvel Spotlight issues 1-4, 8

Keeping with the Bronze Age Marvel, in particular the good Captain, and I read the run of Ms Marvel 1-25.

Finally, as they debuted in 1960, I decided to make a run through the Justice League of America, with Brave and the Bold 28-30 and JLA 1-38, 40-44 (#39 was a reprint collection).

That gets me to 596 for the year, one week left in the Challenge, then a much more reasonable schedule to get to 1000 for the year. lol

350-352

Detective 1026

I really like Rocaforts art. The story was cool as well...but I dont see how it fits into Joker War?!?! The last 2 Detective books have been one shots but they involve Batman and in the main Batman book he CANT be doing whats in the last 2 books. Unless these take place before the War and by the subtitle of collateral damage it doesnt seem thats the case.

Red Hood 48

First time reading Red Hood in his own title and Booth KILLED the art (Im adding a great splash page as a Hidden spoiler)! This story takes place during Nightwing 73. But so far Nightwing doesnt fit in the War yet ether.

Batgirl 48

This and last issue is the first time Ive read Batgirl. The art is Good but the story doesn’t fit the narrative of Nightwing which is weird because of what happened to her in Nightwing.

hopefully all these books Tie In or I’ll be pretty annoyed for spending the money. I chose to read all of the Tie ins for Joker War instead of all of the Tie Ins for Dark Knights Death metal.

Spoiler

CA76D1FB-A7E3-4AF5-8E35-86CDB345B3C7.jpeg

5D9D8522-9F19-4550-BFBF-BB531103BCB0.jpeg

Edited by Raze
Spoiler

353-358 

Plunge 1-6

I recommend this for horror/scifi fans. The story and art was great! It’s body snatchers/abyss/ghost stories/aliens and math...yes math was involved but not by us readers.

The last book did seem a bit rushed to an extent but it still works out. There was one part in the book that didn’t quite make a lot of sense but it’s so minuscule that it doesn’t really matter.

I really enjoyed all of the Hill House books. The last thing to read from the Hill House books is Sea Dogs which takes place at the last page or two of every hill house book I’m going to read that tonight.

E2678633-C9A0-4F6E-B28D-25EA9859B0C6.jpeg

361-365

Wolverine 1-5

I saw the cover for number four and it looked cool. So I flipped through the comic and saw the last panel and I had to buy them all. I am not the biggest marvel fan but I am now reading Thor and wolverine and I have enjoyed both of them so far but if I have to choose one I really like wolverine.

CAE895C9-F704-4C50-B539-0F6731DAF58E.jpeg

On 8/1/2020 at 1:50 AM, ttfitz said:

My local comic shop manager has a thing he does every August, the Troy-David 100 Back Issue a Week Challenge. Each week in August (along with an extra 4 says of September to make an even 5 weeks) you try to read 100 of your back issues. I've done it the last 3 years, and was getting ready to do it again this year when I saw this thread. So I said to myself, Self, 2 birds.

Final week ended on Friday, Challenge completed! :headbang: 500 books over 5 weeks is not a simple task, let me tell you.

So, this week was as follows:

Continued with the Star Trek with my daughter, we finished off STTNG Terra Incognito, reading issues 5-6, and started in on Star Trek Year Five, reading issues 1-6.

My son and I continued with the next TPB of Fables, reading issues 22, 28-29.

The entire family continued on with Sandman, finishing Dream Country and starting on Season of Mists, reading issues 17-24.

And I finished off the 100 issue for the week by continuing where I had left off on Defenders, with issues 45-68, and Justice League of America (Vol 1), reading 45-47,49-57,59-66,68-75,77-84, 86-106  (skipped issues were reprint Giants).

So, I finish the Challenge reaching a total of 696 books for the year.

Next report will have a whole lot less books on it. lol

9 hours ago, ttfitz said:

Final week ended on Friday, Challenge completed! :headbang: 500 books over 5 weeks is not a simple task, let me tell you.

Congrats !

It’s not been a simple task, but you’re well below the ‘5000 comics in a single sitting’ level at which serious damage occurs.

Glad that you’ve been reading safely as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

17 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Congrats !

It’s not been a simple task, but you’re well below the ‘5000 comics in a single sitting’ level at which serious damage occurs.

Glad that you’ve been reading safely as well.

Thanks. This year was both harder and more fun than previous years, because I had various family members reading some stuff along with me. That made it more fun, but also harder to get through the required number - a little over 14 a day - because we would discuss via text the stuff we were reading.

264 to 286

Prelude to Secret Wars Part 3

Avengers 24 to 34 and 34.1  (12)

New Avengers 13 to 23 (11)

(23 in total)

In the Avengers title

An ingenious way to protect Earth 616, meddling by AIM, evil parallel earth Avengers, and the introduction of The Mapmakers.

An interesting time travel storyline, in which the team goes further and further into the future, chasing the surviving Infinity Gem.

A solid one-shot issue, 34.1, by Al Ewing and Dale Keown, featuring Hyperion.

In the New Avengers title

So far, 616 has been protected by the Illuminati basically nuking the other incursive world, and consequently its universe, out of existence.

But, the team is beginning to fragment as some have terrible guilt about this, and others couldn't care less.

In this section of the saga, we start to have much more opposition from the super-teams of these universes and also groups from in between universes; The Black Priests, The Mapmakers, The DC-like Great Society, and, finally, the rise of The Cabal / Dark Illuminati - 616's ruthless planet and universe destroyers.

Great work from one of my favourite writers. Again.

Edited by Ken Aldred