• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manhunt #12 Raw RARE sold for $3,351 ?!?
3 3

104 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2024 at 1:48 PM, Bronty said:

that seems more reasonable to me as well

Not disagreeing but based on what? Additional copies that have surfaced in recent years? This one seems to be the nicest one so far (haven’t checked the census).

On 6/4/2024 at 6:16 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Not disagreeing but based on what? Additional copies that have surfaced in recent years? This one seems to be the nicest one so far (haven’t checked the census).

Based on my buttquote (patent pending).

Posted (edited)

CGC label shows the interiors to be the same as Trail Colt #1.    

The Ogden Whitney story in Trail Colt #1 is "the Kidnapping of Major Amersley" which is a Starr Flagg, Undercover Girl story.   

This story is also reprinted in A-1 #98 (Starr Flagg, Undercover Girl).

Anyone own Trail Colt #1 or A-1 #98 to see if the Ogden Whitney cover shown on Manhunt 12 is the splash from the Major Amersley story?

(It could also be from an unrelated story... anyone have a run of Starr Flagg stories?   Looks like the feature also ran in previous issues of Manhunt along with Trail Colt and a couple issues of A-1.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/4/2024 at 6:16 PM, Silver Surfer said:

This one seems to be the nicest one so far (haven’t checked the census).

There is a 5.5 that looks fairly nice.

On 6/4/2024 at 3:20 PM, Bronty said:

CGC label shows the interiors to be the same as Trail Colt #1.    

The Ogden Whitney story in Trail Colt #1 is "the Kidnapping of Major Amersley" which is a Starr Flagg, Undercover Girl story.   

This story is also reprinted in A-1 #98 (Starr Flagg, Undercover Girl).

Anyone own Trail Colt #1 or A-1 #98 to see if the Ogden Whitney cover shown on Manhunt 12 is the splash from the Major Amersley story?

(It could also be from an unrelated story... anyone have a run of Starr Flagg stories?   Looks like the feature also ran in previous issues of Manhunt along with Trail Colt and a couple issues of A-1.

I checked Starr Flagg Undercover Girl 5 (A-1 62) and Undercover Girl 6 (A-1 98). That cover is in neither issue. Don’t have any Trail Colts. 

On 6/4/2024 at 6:26 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Not sure about the content but it’s pretty routine for Canadian editions to make up the numbering. Sub-Mariner Comics #32 with the classic cover is actually listed as #31 on the Canadian edition. 

Yep, thanks for a great book. 

submariner3231-midgrade-825.jpg.5d940f16533895b75de7a10901fe46f7.jpg

On 6/4/2024 at 6:56 PM, Robot Man said:

I checked Starr Flagg Undercover Girl 5 (A-1 62) and Undercover Girl 6 (A-1 98). That cover is in neither issue. Don’t have any Trail Colts. 

thanks for looking.

On 6/4/2024 at 12:21 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Probably not that many as you might think. I use the Cap #74 as an example, 20-25 years ago Heritage listed a copy and I have seen 1, maybe 2 other copies since. For such a cool cover you’d think they would surface or be shown on these boards over the last 20 years ( but hasn’t ). 

Interesting considering how many more copies of #75 we've seen in the same time period.

On 6/4/2024 at 7:49 PM, stock_rotation said:

It's not in Manhunt 1, 3, 10, or 11 either.

It might be an original cover. The story in Trail Colt 1 has a fire in a building. No whippin' beekeeper, though

image.thumb.png.e4083f1d62b457000190a426c5d19980.png

I have both issues.

trail colt 1 001.jpg

trail colt 2 001.jpg

On 6/4/2024 at 1:11 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I find it weird how after so many decades there are only a handful of numerous Canadian issues and for years the general public had no idea they existed. What did they do with all these books? 

What was supposed to be made with comics. Thrown away.

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 9:52 AM, Kromak said:

What was supposed to be made with comics. Thrown away.

Our population generally tracks 10% of the US population.     So 10% print runs is a starting point.    Meaning 90% less!   But in reality I think quite a bit less than 10% of the US numbers were printed.     We didn't have the same economies of scale, the same distribution networks, etc.    

Imagine you're Cy Bell, and your market has 10% of the population the US market does (spread out over a large area - few significant population centers), and you're trying to compete with books coming in from the US that are printed at economies of scale you can't possibly match.    Your printing costs and distribution costs are going to be higher than your competitors'.    Its a tricky business, and you're naturally going to be more wary about how much you print, and about costs in general - which is why you tailor your business (post-war) to US reprints in the first place.   Its not like he didn't know how to publish original material - having done that during the 42-46 'whites' era (when the US books weren't coming into canada).       

The math on trying to compete directly with much larger US publishers was never going to be friendly on this side of the border.      So its not difficult for me to imagine that he stayed conservative with print runs.     I'm speculating, but still. 

Edited by Bronty

As most PCH are scarce especially in grade at least compared to other golden age, what would you all consider the most rare of issues?  I would say This Magazine is Haunted #3. 

On 6/8/2024 at 6:04 AM, sartrexpress said:

As most PCH are scarce especially in grade at least compared to other golden age, what would you all consider the most rare of issues?  I would say This Magazine is Haunted #3. 

Yeah, definitely a strong contender. Especially with a fully attached cover. I have had a few over the years all with spine issues. There was a month or so that Fawcett used very cheap paper. I suspect that many were pitched when they fell apart. 

On 6/8/2024 at 10:15 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, definitely a strong contender. Especially with a fully attached cover. I have had a few over the years all with spine issues. There was a month or so that Fawcett used very cheap paper. I suspect that many were pitched when they fell apart. 

Like WoF #2. Spine is reinforced with tape but otherwise a decent copy…WorldsOfFear2.jpg.1cbad3ed728c1c676b6effa69709056d.jpg