• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BLUE BEETLE movie starring Xolo Mariduena (2023)
3 3

264 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2023 at 8:36 PM, Beige said:

The Joker was a hit, simply because it was an excellent movie. A truly great film, regardless of genre.

it was good.  But, I cant get myself to rewatch it.  Im not a fan of films that spiral deeper and darker to a place we see (or know) coming and I dont want to follow.  Well done, but not really enjoyable for me.  More of an interesting story of a descent into madness that works BOTH as a drama AND an origin of our Joker character... taken seriously.  Gave a bit of hope that some of our comics stories can be told without a villain existing just to fight the superhero. (Though Im sure the sequel will go there if not in #2, eventually.)

Edited by Aman619

On 9/8/2023 at 1:12 PM, Aman619 said:

it was good.  But, I cant get myself to rewatch it.  Im not a fan of films that spiral deeper and darker to a place we see (or know) coming and I dont want to follow.  Well done, but not really enjoyable for me.  More of an interesting story of a descent into madness that works BOTH as a drama AND an origin of our Joker character... taken seriously.  Gave a bit of hope that some of our comics stories can be told without a villain existing just to fight the superhero. (Though Im sure the sequel will go there if not in #2, eventually.)

Hang on to your hat.

The sequel is in song only with Phoenix and Lady Gaga - I kid you not.Very little speech, mainly in song.

This will either be award-winning, never the likes of seen before, box office smash OR a complete train wreck that finishes DC's movie empire forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker:_Folie_à_Deux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqWb_4UcGg - this is a fake fan trailer

- waffle about stills etc

Edited by Beige

On 9/7/2023 at 4:20 PM, Aman619 said:

Also, there was zero successful track record for Marvel character films and entertainment besides Spidey and Hulk which had worked in the past.  Studios rightly passed on Cap (who se right Had been bought by Israeli Golan Globus and a very bad film was made that tanked.  "Avengers"is a tough sell because it's a team. Never been a team movie, especially when each superhero was licensed on their own.  Marvel lives through this problem even today with Sony holding Spiderverse control.

The Cannon Captain America movie was so bad that it went direct to video and looked like the budget was the equivalent of a Happy Meal. Cannon screwed up Cap and destroyed the Superman franchise. Thank God they were never able to make their planned Spider-Man movie, in which Golan wanted to have Spidey live in a web,.eating flies.

Cannon was a big as they came in Cannes.  every year they handed out a 64 page booklet of all their productions, and about 64 pages of full page ads in Variety!  Not that they gave a whit for quality... just product.  I think I recall that his thing was signing and announcing these upcoming films THEN raising the money by pre-selling the rights to film markets around the world.  Then depending on how much he collected he went ahead and mad the film. The money was the point and the film didnt even HAVE to succeed cause he took his fees all along already.  Just needed to be good enough for the investors to still want to come back next year!

lots of international producers followed this approach, (foreign pre-sales) but Cannon went into overdrive with it.  Until is crashed down around them.

I have a two volume set on the history of Cannon and the author says it was the big budget movies that brought them down. The Sylvester Stallone arm wrestling movie(I'm forgetting the name), Superman IV, and Masters of the Universe.. The crew who worked on Superman said they weren't allowed to finish the special effects(which is why they look so dismal), and Golan Globus cut the 2 and a half movie down to 90 minutes, so they could fit in more showings. Jon Cryer, who worked on IV as Lenny Luthor (!) Said that Cannon released an unfinished movie. 

Edited by Larryw7

On 9/9/2023 at 3:32 AM, Aman619 said:

A two volume set?  Like a trade paperback?  Or coffee table book?  

It comes in both in hardback and paperback.

https://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Film-Guide-1980-1984/dp/1629335800/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=1AJVEHQLPUE92&keywords=cannon+films+book&qid=1694301285&sprefix=cannon+films+boo%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-2

Finally got to see this last night.

I get what they were trying to attempt, in appealing to a certain demographic as an undertapped target for superhero movies (Hispanic/Latino). And recognizing how massive Black Panthern turned out with a smaller demographic, there were probably statistical assumptions made of how much bigger this could land.

image.png.831057014da6efeaeab48daf295efe94.png

Unfortunately, Blue Beetle didn't have the same launch as Black Panther where there was a meaninful introduction in a big event film leading to excitement to learn more about the character. So you have a brand new character kicked off in a confusing relaunch in a year where DC follow-on films in the same universe failed. 

Had time today and needed to redeem by birthday popcorn and drink at AMC. This was the $5 Tuesday movie so thought I'd give it a shot. Had no background on the character and wasn't really needed. here were nods to "Blue Beetle" but besides a relative, didn't think that made it a deal breaker if you didn't know much background. 

Overall, an ok movie. Good to see a latino demographic reach out. Not too much painting outside the typical storylines but worth a watch. 

Caught a couple of minutes of this channel surfing tonight in what I presume was the final battle. It was not for me so I switched after a couple of minutes. I can see why it bombed at the box office if that is the climax of the film.