• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BLUE BEETLE movie starring Xolo Mariduena (2023)
3 3

264 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2023 at 6:59 PM, Beige said:

What was the thought process choosing this character for a big $$$$ movie?

Beside the Charlton Comics Blue Beetle - hadn't heard of this guy.

I don't know which demographic they hope to attract - just seems like a generic teen production with the handsome lead guy.

It's not like the movie marketplace is short of teenage targeted films, so I have no idea why they chose to go with this.

What's the loss potential on this?

$100m?

$200m?

I'd rather they (Comic Movie makers)  just released 2 really really good movies a year, rather than 5 or 6 bad ones.

I may be wrong, but I'm assuming you may have missed the four-season Young Justice TV/streaming series. The third Blue Beetle is actually quite popular as part of the series. Along with a comic book fanbase compared to the first two versions.

3 Characters Who Wore the Blue Beetle Mantle, Ranked by Importance

1. Jaime Reyes

The third, latest, and arguably most popular incarnation of the Blue Beetle debuted in February 2006 in ‘Infinite Crisis’ #3. Shortly before his death, Ted Kord lost his Blue Beetle Scarab, the artifact Dan Garrett gave him while visiting the Rock of Eternity. The Rock of Eternity was eventually destroyed during the battle between Shazam and Spectre, and as all of its contents spread across the world, the Blue Beetle Scarab landed in El Paso, Texas, where young Jaime Reyes discovered it.

Jaime Reyes, the third Blue Beetle, eventually joined Teen Titans. New Earth’s Jaime Reyes made his last appearance in ‘Teen Titans’ Vol. 3 #100 in October 2011, before the Flashpoint replaced New Earth with Prime Earth as the mainstream DC Comics continuity. Prime Earth’s Jaime Reyes debuted in ‘Blue Beetle’ Vol. 8 #1 in November 2011, and his Blue Beetle was a part of The New 52 line-up. Volume 8 finished when The New 52 continuity was canceled and replaced with Rebirth, in which Blue Beettle also had his own series (Volume 9).

Jaime Reyes’ Blue Beetle was also a part of the roster in the acclaimed fighting video game ‘Injustice 2,’ in which he also had a supporting role in the game’s storyline. As the popularity of the character increased, Warner Bros. and DC decided to give him a shot with the live-action adaptation.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

I may be wrong, but I'm assuming you may have missed the four-season Young Justice TV/streaming series. The third Blue Beetle is actually quite popular as part of the series. Along with a comic book fanbase compared to the first two versions.

Not just missed it Bosco - never heard of it.

Thanks though.

I have a prescreen pass to see this,  A obelisk or something that over rides the will power of its user, somehow finding the inspiration to use it agreeably for good?

The person I'm taking to the prescreen asked me to explain the character, so I surmised it as Venom. The human overied is the only real attribute that is the "same", but a pivotal one for a "hero" to be sure. Another origin movie, :popcorn:

It's not very intellectual, but I'll probably dig it.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/7/2023 at 6:17 PM, Bosco685 said:

Did not know this, well if it is battle tested, I'm hoping then :) 

Henry Cavill To Return as Superman in New DC Movie

It turns out that not everyone involved in the DCU is quite as ready to sweep the Snyderverse into oblivion. In particular, Blue Beetle director Angel Manuel Soto says that the Henry Cavill version of Superman has a part in his upcoming superhero movie.

In a recent interview with Nestor Bentancor, the Blue Beetle director revealed that the upcoming movie starring Xolo Maridueña as Jaime Reyes will involve the Henry Cavill version of Superman.

Specifically, Angel Manuel Soto says that his movie will directly reference Man of Steel (2013), the first film to star Henry Cavill as Superman, and the kickoff of Zack Snyder’s chaotic attempt to wrangle the lore of DC Comics. Apparently, Soto is a huge fan of Snyder’s movies and has incorporated some elements of it into Blue Beetle.

The director specifically says that “Waking up in Mexico to the news that [Zack] Snyder wants to see it too, a director that I respect so much, that his films are an immense influence… Even in Blue Beetle, there are some references to Man of Steel that we made out of honor and respect for the work and art of Zack Snyder. Also, seeing David Ayer sharing it… It’s like, ‘WOW, brother!’ How nice it feels to have that support from people that one respects and that the fans also respect.”

On 8/15/2023 at 5:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

Ok, to me that seems like a "Click Bait" headline in the hopes of driving up ticket sales.  The director says they make references to MOS, unless I read it wrong he didn't say Cavil was in the movie.  Additionally if WB thinks this movie has a chance of succeeding (which I don't think it will) why tie it to a dead universe?  

On 8/15/2023 at 5:28 AM, media_junkie said:

Ok, to me that seems like a "Click Bait" headline in the hopes of driving up ticket sales.  The director says they make references to MOS, unless I read it wrong he didn't say Cavil was in the movie.  Additionally if WB thinks this movie has a chance of succeeding (which I don't think it will) why tie it to a dead universe?  

further convinces me DC has no clue what they are doing. 

"He's back!" - Black Adam

"He's gone" - Gunn Universe

"He's Back" - Blue Beetle

On 8/15/2023 at 7:28 AM, media_junkie said:

On 8/15/2023 at 10:03 AM, Artboy99 said:

further convinces me DC has no clue what they are doing. 

"He's back!" - Black Adam

"He's gone" - Gunn Universe

"He's Back" - Blue Beetle

It's as if the DCU doesn't really have a clear plan yet. But Gunn noted Blue Beetle is the first DCU movie. Or at least he will factor into future projects.

:ohnoez:

On 8/15/2023 at 9:19 AM, Bosco685 said:

It's as if the DCU doesn't really have a clear plan yet. But Gunn noted Blue Beetle is the first DCU movie. Or at least he will factor into future projects.

:ohnoez:

So their Ant-Man equivalent will be central to the new Gunn DCU? doh!

Then again, if it means more Bruna Marquezine as a Tony Stark replacement for the new DCU it just might work. (thumbsu

They gave out posters, I'm hoping for tshirts afterwards as staff is wearing them.

Person who saw it here when the directors viewed said there is only 1 after credits scene, someone who hasn't seen it thought there were 2 hm

Starts in 40 minutes

IMG_20230815_184642237.jpg

On 8/7/2023 at 6:17 PM, Bosco685 said:

Do we really need to rank things if there's only 3 of them?

On 8/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, Dr Zen said:

Do we really need to rank things if there's only 3 of them?

If there are three versions of a character over decades, yes. Because within those decades you have multiple comic book appearances, individual lore developed and the reaction of readers to such content.

Thanks for asking though.

ea17ea_47cc46e6fe8c4be8bb6845d27ae2a9f9mv2.gif.10524163097a140b2c16adefa0909d43.gif