• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Punisher fans, let’s see them favorites..💀
6 6

855 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2023 at 6:01 PM, nepatkm said:

So the story I’ve heard was that The Punisher Limited (1986) Mini series was originally supposed to  be 4 issues book ended by bigger issues as the #1 (and then #4) but sales were stronger than expected for issue 1, so Marvel extended the series to 5 issues after seeing the sales. 💰 

…So Grant and Zeck were only contacted to do 4 issues of content, and had other titles deadlines to meet, therefore Vosburg, and Jo Duffy we’re called in by Marvel to help out (Grant and Zeck) fill in the excess material to fill a 5th issue scripted by Grant. 

again just what I’ve heard. @Ryan. 💀 

Thanks. That all makes sense. 

On 4/14/2023 at 1:15 AM, comiconxion said:

It may make sense, but unfortunately, not true...  Being the resident "Zeckspert", let me give you the real story...

For the January 1986 publication month, the printer had excess capacity so Marvel sent the first issue of the Punisher Limited Series to print earlier than planned.  After that, Mike Zeck had to play catch up which is why the 2nd half of issue #2 and issues #3 and #4 are mostly Zeck breakdowns and not full pencils.  If you look closely, you'll even notice that John Beatty didn't ink the backgrounds on issue #4 since they were in such a rush.  As they approached the end of the series, Carl Potts got nervous that Zeck wouldn't make the deadline so he asked Mike Vosburg to pencil issue #5.  According to Vosburg, they only gave him a week to pencil the entire issue (for which he also did a set of prelim pencils).  Vosburg had no idea how important this series would become and many fans still blame him to this day for not finishing the series up to the standards they expected.  It didn't help that Beatty wasn't the best inker for Vosburg. 

When Zeck was replaced as the penciler for issue #5, Steven Grant also walked off the project which is why Mary Jo Duffy scripted issue #5. 

As far as the numbering on the cover... Marvel Production wasn't used to doing "5-Issue" Limited Series so they accidentally put the standard 4-Issue Limited Series banner at the top of issue #1.  After the first issue hit the newsstand, Zeck brought attention to the mistake, so they fixed the banner for issue #2.  But, then issue #3 came out with the same error and Zeck didn't bother to mention it again so it stayed that way until issue #5 came out. 

So, long story short... it was always planned to be a 5-issue storyline.

Thanks for the additional context.

On 4/23/2023 at 9:10 PM, Browns81 said:

Thoughts on Punisher 2099?  I picked up about half the run at 25 cents each the other day but other than issue #1 I bought at release I’ve never read the series.

also I got Punisher meets Archie for $6.  It was a very funny read.

IMG_2572.jpeg

Nice!

I liked Punisher 2099, first part is great..got a little weird near the end of the series though. Good reading. 👍

On 5/4/2023 at 5:51 AM, Browns81 said:

Punisher limited series 1-5 newsstand.  Advertised as NM, not sure about that but condition looks pretty good.

I never read Punisher as a kid except stuff he was a guest in, but I ALWAYS wanted this series.  He’s become one of my favorites as an adult.

IMG_2626.jpeg

:xMy favorite mini series.  Nice pick ups.

On 4/12/2023 at 6:05 PM, nepatkm said:

Honestly like them all, and Ray Stevenson definitely had the look!

I have to go with Dolph Lundgren though, you never forget your first 😆— I was so excited that they were making that movie and seemed like forever before I had the VHS copy in hand. Love that movie!! 💀

I agree! Here's another question:

Do you prefer Frank's classic style (white gloves/boots) or his all-black look? :bigsmile: 

Both certainly have their charm. I probably prefer black but still enjoy the white combo.

On 5/8/2023 at 2:26 PM, LadyDeath said:

I agree! Here's another question:

Do you prefer Frank's classic style (white gloves/boots) or his all-black look? :bigsmile: 

Both certainly have their charm. I probably prefer black but still enjoy the white combo.

All black, stealthier… cleaning all that dirt, blood splatter and 💩 stains off the white boots and gloves everyday has to take a lot of time, and would suck. To much “dirty laundry” for Frank to deal with… 🤣🤣🤣

On 5/8/2023 at 6:09 PM, nepatkm said:
On 5/8/2023 at 1:26 PM, LadyDeath said:

agree! Here's another question:

All black, stealthier… cleaning all that dirt, blood splatter and 💩 stains off the white boots and gloves everyday has to take a lot of time, and would suck. To much “dirty laundry” for Frank to deal with… 🤣🤣🤣

Lol I thought about this today, as I had bought a pair of Nike lol

I remember high-school writing on the sole because walking around was like a built in eraser haha then you could start over with what was left. :roflmao:

Can you imagine the Punisher with some Nike swoosh boots! :whee:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/8/2023 at 7:09 PM, nepatkm said:

Never thought about it that way. xD The classic definitely has that unique superhero flare, but the modern one is just so credible like it's how The Punisher would look in real life.

On 5/8/2023 at 11:26 PM, LadyDeath said:

Never thought about it that way. xD The classic definitely has that unique superhero flare, but the modern one is just so credible like it's how The Punisher would look in real life.

Frank wondering how he’s going to get all the blood stains out…..😆

75B04A83-F1FC-4D85-8453-69A7B57D0D5C.jpeg

All this love for Punisher. It's beautiful. I first read the mini-series in on vacation in Greece, in greek, which I don't read (or speak), so I guess I just looked at Zeck's amazing drawings. I oved it. Never read it in English, cause I never completed the series (for some reason). I loved Klaus Jansons Punisher. Issue 4 is a great read.