• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The market 8 years ago to today
1 1

38 posts in this topic

I haven't looked at the values of comics in many years. I started binging on comic book men on amc and noticed a Batman Killing joke was sold to the stash for $10 in an episode around 2012. I recently checked the price on eBay and it was $300+. Is eBay a fairyland or has the market moved that much?

49 minutes ago, Silentbob said:

I haven't looked at the values of comics in many years. I started binging on comic book men on amc and noticed a Batman Killing joke was sold to the stash for $10 in an episode around 2012. I recently checked the price on eBay and it was $300+. Is eBay a fairyland or has the market moved that much?

You must be looking at "asking price" & not "sold price"

28 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But seriously prices are crazy from even when I joined in 2016

Killing joke in 9.8, more like $150-175-& $200 if you're lucky :)

doh!

Forgot my example lol

In 2016, you could get Killing Joke for $75-100

2 hours ago, Silentbob said:

Actually should have bought Tesla stock for 38 dollars back then... its over 650 now

1 hour ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

It's Saturday here, from the future :banana:

pls PM me lotto #'s thx

2 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

You must be looking at "asking price" & not "sold price"

No, completed and sold. I looked back and there are even higher sales. From the responses it looks like eBay is fairly land but the prices sold are crazy.

Edited by Silentbob

45 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Hi Silentb, welcome to the boards.

Comic Book Men is a TV show.  Much like most TV shows it's designed to entertain and the people who come in to 'sell' are curated/hand picked by the show's producers.  We've seen board members invited to 'sell' to both Comic Book Men and Pawn Stars.  Using a reality show to understand market values for anything isn't a good idea.

So here's ebay search results, sold items, sorted highest to lowest - to get real values go with sold items and to get a better feel for values sorting highest to lowest works best

https://www.ebay.com/sch/165364/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=killing+joke&_sop=16&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Graded 9.8 are selling for $275 to $140 usd.  Highest hammer for a raw copy is about $80 usd.  There's quite a range of prices, even for CGC 9.8 and that'll generally depend on the quality of the seller, shipping costs, location, time of auction, etc.   So yes, a graded 9.8 has sold for close to $300 but that price reflects the cost to submit the book for grading and the 9.8 result and that's the high end of results with many similar copies selling for less.  Figure a rough average value of $200 for a graded 9.8.

A raw copy is hammering $80 and low end about $20.  So it's not unreasonable for a store to pay $10 for a ungraded copy that isn't perfect - the black cover is easily scratched and shows damage.

There's also many different editions and reprints of this book.  Second prints aren't as valuable as first prints etc.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It looks like I was looking at the auctions with signed copies. Amazing that a signature adds that much extra value.

2 minutes ago, Silentbob said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It looks like I was looking at the auctions with signed copies. Amazing that a signature adds that much extra value.

Not so surprising as most popular creators charge $75 or more to sign a book.  Add in grading costs of $30 or more.  And many fans can't get to that signing and are buying signed copies on secondary markets like ebay.