• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

Update: I was just contacted by a collector who I did not previously know of who has added four issues to the checklist of known 35 cent variants--far and away the highlight was the previously unknown and undoubtedly super-tough Sgt Fury. 142. Check out the list for other additions. Continued thanks to everyone sending in scans.

For those who have been following the progress made, another contributor verified the existence of 10 more variant issues, for a total of 14 newly identified books this week. Check out the site to see the new additions (which are now clearly marked as such).

Actually, no. Out of everyone that has been nice enough to contribute, he seems to have the strongest desire to remain anonymous. At the risk of offending him, I will pass on the name of anyone who wishes to make an offer. My gut feeling, however, is that he's not open to dealing.

I figured and was just kidding...most 35 cent collectors know what they have and will not let go of them - you've got to catch them when they have moved on and are hooked on another costly comic related niche - like original art. Then they'll be more open to dealing.

Anyone else??? Lighthouse--do you have a scan of the Western issue you found last fall?

I didn't have one saved on this computer... but thankfully I posted it as an attachment back in September, so it was still on the server...

36862-KC220v.jpg

Paul, have you checked with Jon McClure lately to see whether he has found any more? I haven't chatted with him in about a year, but I know when he moved to Colorado he indicated he was still accumulating variants...

I've done more digging and I've come up with a Star Wars #3 35-cent variant. However, it is not a 35-cent variant of the first print, it is a 35-cent variant of the REPRINT edition. At least, I assume it is the variant -- it was in the box next to Star Wars #3 30-cent Reprint. The indicia of this reprint says 30-cent cover price, so I take it that defines this issue as a variant.

The CGC census lists a 35-cent variant, a regular 30-cent, and a Reprint for #3. The cover price for #3 Reprint is not noted.

Anyone know the scoop on these Star Wars issues?

Also, what's the lowest value that you think a Good condition issue of ANY of the 35-cent variants would be worth? Should an opportunity to purchase a low-grade issue of a 35-cent variant for under, say, $20 ever be passed up? $10? $30? Just wondering where the bottom is at on pricing on these low grade 35-cent variants.

Wayne

Don't pass them up. Or at least, if you do, let one of us know.

The 3 you have is not a variant - it is from the same batch as the infamous "35 Cent Star Wars 1" (somebody post one) that were in Whitman bags, all with 35 cent cover prices.

I definitely echo FD's advice on the 35 cent variants. Any you find under 20 bucks are a bargain, regardless of condition (the only possible exception I might make are the first four Spidey issues-then again, there are so many spidey collectors, you would probably find a buyer no matter what). If you just want to flip them immediately, 20 buck would even be conservative--you could problably sell the average G copy for up to 50 or 60 bucks right now.

As for the SW question, it is only a variant if the 35 cent price looks like identical to the regular issue. Since yours is marked as a reprint, it is definitely not a variant. The general scoop regarding the SW books is that issue 1 is far and away the most commonly found 35 cent variant. The next 3 are much more difficult to find.

Keep us up-to-date as to what you find.

Yes. Beyond discussion, the purpose of this thread is to help silverandbronze confirm the existence of any possible 35 center that does not have an x in the "Exists?" column on this page:

http://users.erols.com/pmerolle/35variantlist

So, from that perspective at least, it's one of the first ones to come to light.

Thanks for pointing this one out, RR. I've been tied up with moving, so I haven't been searching ebay. I've already added this one to my list.

Also, thanks Lighthouse for the KC220 scan. It's great to see that one-I can't imagine another copy showing up for a looong time. It's on the list now also.

Re: As for the SW question, it is only a variant if the 35 cent price looks like identical to the regular issue. Since yours is marked as a reprint, it is definitely not a variant

Interesting, however there are clearly two different versions of the reprint. One with a 30 cents cover price, and one with a 35 cents cover price, and both with 30 cents in the indicia.

Based on your comments, I take it that there are 30 and 35 cent versions of all of SW #1-4, but that neither is considered to be more rare than the other copy.

Looks to me like a completist needs to latch on to four copies of SW#3 to claim to have a complete series. shocked.gif

Wayne

I hope we're not confusing each other here. For 1-4, there are original 30 cent versions, original 35 cent variants, reprint 30 cent versions, and a Whitman 35 cent version.

Also, as far as rarity goes, it's been my experience that the variants if 2-5 are much more difficult to find. Whether that reflects true rarity or the increased attention paid to 1, I don't know.