• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

In a sense. All copies of that book and Ka-Zar 16 were printed with a 30 cent cover price in order to test resistance to a price increase in a larger area. Those were amongst the lowest selling original material books Marvel had, so they could test it without possibly doing real harm to their bottom line.

In a sense. All copies of that book and Ka-Zar 16 were printed with a 30 cent cover price in order to test resistance to a price increase in a larger area. Those were amongst the lowest selling original material books Marvel had, so they could test it without possibly doing real harm to their bottom line.

Along the same lines of oddities within this collecting genre, Invaders 8, is a 30 cent cover that falls the month after the 30 cent price variant range (Sept 1977) has been shown at times to appear with "25 cents per copy" in the indicia?

I may have to dig this one out of my $1 book boxes... I remember seeing it up on ebay and verifying with my copies; One was correct with 30 cents per copy, the other had "25 cents per copy" in there.

It is possible that the current copy of Invaders 8 on the CGC census that we initially thought CGC "misgraded", may be one of these Invaders 8 with the "variant" indicia note frown.gif

I may have to dig this one out of my $1 book boxes... I remember seeing it up on ebay and verifying with my copies; One was correct with 30 cents per copy, the other had "25 cents per copy" in there.

It is possible that the current copy of Invaders 8 on the CGC census that we initially thought CGC "misgraded", may be one of these Invaders 8 with the "variant" indicia note frown.gif

That makes perfect sense. Assuming that one of the tests that the grader and submitter did was check the indicia, without knowing the dates and issue numbers by heart (not saying that I do or anything shocked.gif) you could easily think that it was a variant. That's great.

That's also a HUGE assumption, and either way, the 30-cent Variant notation was still incorrect. I've seen enough real 30-cent variants that do not include the notation to know that CGC counts on the submitter invoice notes.. maybe a bit too much.

That's also a HUGE assumption, and either way, the 30-cent Variant notation was still incorrect. I've seen enough real 30-cent variants that do not include the notation to know that CGC counts on the submitter invoice notes.. maybe a bit too much.

Sure. Whatever. That's not really the point. I was specifically talking about the situation that Darth described with this one book that we now know has this specific production error present. I wasn't even thinking about any other books. I don't obsess over CGC's errors, looking for every little excuse to bring them up.

I wasn't even thinking about any other books. I don't obsess over CGC's errors, looking for every little excuse to bring them up.

You guys make me laugh. I didn't bring up the CGC error, Darth did, and promptly starting creating a wishful-thinking reason for why it happened. You offer your support, I step in with a logical answer, and once again I'm not "part of the team".

It's highly amusing that few people see the other side of the coin. You see me as being "nitpicky" on their mistakes, yet freely gloss these same errors over using a hackneyed scenario that would make Stan Lee blush.

I wasn't bringing up the errors, just noting that one as an example. If you want errors, I recall talking about the slabbed Inhumans 5 and Kazar 16 variants as well. I don't know how they miseed those too but probably were graded before too much attention was brought to the exception to the price variant rule.

But let's not quibble over such trivialities, here's what's worthy of our attention!

35 centers just noticed! cloud9.gif

i'm just getting into this stuff so please bear with me... i've tried to look through these posts and the website of one of the forum members but didn't see this info there. sorry if i've missed it.

does cgc always denote when a variant like this have been graded?

what were the test cities for the 35 cent variants? i can't imagine that there is still a concentration of those books there but i am more curious.

thanks. mike

does cgc always denote when a variant like this have been graded?

They don't always note it on the label, especially if the submitter doesn't mention it on the submission form.

I have two CGC graded 30 cent variants that don't state this fact on the label. I would assume with the 35 centers (as there are far less) then there is even more chance that CGC will miss them.