• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,720 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 7:38 AM, Forbush-Man said:

Jumbo Comics #4 Thanksgiving cover graded 2.5 (scan bottom cut-off due to sticker)  Larger scan here 

JumboComics4.jpg

I sold my Jumbo Comics 8 several years ago. Was a couple grades lower than the one you're selling with bad page quality, but here's how mine turned out.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.27.44 PM.png

RAD61BA8201986_9228.jpg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/16/2022 at 2:30 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I sold my Jumbo Comics 8 several years ago. Was a couple grades lower than the one you're selling with bad page quality, but here's how mine turned out.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.27.44 PM.png

RAD61BA8201986_9228.jpg

Your's was sold all that long ago, 2019 looks like.  Here's my 2.5 last of the truly "Jumbo" editions. Larger scan here

Took me a while, have to keep cutting off the bottom of the scan because of the dang sticker. :p

JumboComics8.jpg

On 8/16/2022 at 3:19 PM, Forbush-Man said:

Your's was sold all that long ago, 2019 looks like.  Here's my 2.5 last of the truly "Jumbo" editions. Larger scan here

Took me a while, have to keep cutting off the bottom of the scan because of the dang sticker. :p

JumboComics8.jpg

Yeah I think mine would have done better if it wasn't deemed to have slightly brittle pages, but back then solid. Have to imagine it would go for a solid amount more now, and obviously yours should do considerably better.

On 8/16/2022 at 3:37 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I think mine would have done better if it wasn't deemed to have slightly brittle pages, but back then solid. Have to imagine it would go for a solid amount more now, and obviously yours should do considerably better.

Yeah, look like it sold for slightly lower than condition guide at the time for a copy with the much dreaded PQ designator of Slightly Brittle.  :fear:

As you have stated, will probably sell for a lot more in todays' more robust marketplace if this nicely presenting copy of Speed 3 with the even worse PQ desigantion of Brittle Pages is any indication:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/speed-comics-3-harvey-1939-cgc-gd-20-brittle-pages/a/122233-15611.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Speed Comics #3 (Harvey, 1939) CGC GD 2.0 Brittle pages....

Sold yesterday for $456 or a rather surprising almost 3X condition guide value for a CGC 2.0 graded copy with BRITTLE PAGES.  Makes me wonder when and what a copy in decent shape would go for considering that both the HA and CC archives indicates only VG+/CGC 4.5 raw/graded copies or lower have sold save for only one CGC 6.5 copy on Heritage and that was all the way back in 2004.  :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  

On 8/16/2022 at 4:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, look like it sold for slightly lower than condition guide at the time for a copy with the much dreaded PQ designator of Slightly Brittle.  :fear:

As you have stated, will probably sell for a lot more in todays' more robust marketplace if this nicely presenting copy of Speed 3 with the even worse PQ desigantion of Brittle Pages is any indication:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/speed-comics-3-harvey-1939-cgc-gd-20-brittle-pages/a/122233-15611.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Speed Comics #3 (Harvey, 1939) CGC GD 2.0 Brittle pages....

Sold yesterday for $456 or a rather surprising almost 3X condition guide value for a CGC 2.0 graded copy with BRITTLE PAGES.  Makes me wonder when and what a copy in decent shape would go for considering that both the HA and CC archives indicates only VG+/CGC 4.5 raw/graded copies or lower have sold save for only one CGC 6.5 copy on Heritage and that was all the way back in 2004.  :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  

Yeah, that's an illusive book right there. Love Superhero books from before 1940.  They are all a fun chase. 

On 8/16/2022 at 4:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah I mean brittle is just the proverbial death penalty, usually. So seems solid I imagine for this Speed 3 as you said, or 3X. I sold a coverless slightly incomplete Superman 1 a long time ago. It got slightly brittle pages from CGC because two detached pages were in that condition. All the other pages were pretty nice. Boy oh boy do I wish I sold that differently because I got wrecked on that final sale at auction lol.

Here's my last item for the August auction beginning tomorrow.  Superman #5 with WHITE pages & Lex Luthor appearance. Larger scan here

Bid early! Bid often! :banana: Good luck to everyone!

Superman5.jpg

Edited by Forbush-Man

On 8/16/2022 at 4:38 PM, Forbush-Man said:

Yeah, that's an illusive book right there. Love Superhero books from before 1940.  They are all a fun chase. 

Yes, since I started my vintage comic book collecting by skipping the entire SA doh! and jumping from the MA books off the shelves of the LCS right back to the pre-hero GA books, I also absolutely loved those books from the 1930's.  :luhv:

Especially the earlier ones from prior to 1938 where each year you went back just seemed like a whle lot more than just the one year, considering how rare and HTF those early books were.  Definitely tough to acquire a book from 1936 and even so much tougher to find one from 1935 and I guess that's why I jumped back into the regular GA time period from 1938 onwards after my short foray with the pre-hero books.  (thumbsu

On 8/18/2022 at 10:35 AM, sagii said:

And near perfect black background!  

That's why I love my Strange Adventures #2. Not a single color break on the spine, or anywhere really. I honestly thought I had a 9.2 or 9.4 coming back for the single highest graded when I initially sent it in. There's two other 9.0's, and I've only seen one of them, the Bethlehem Pedigree copy, but mine blows it out of the water.

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1