• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,721 posts in this topic

Well, the FF #5 CGC 9.4 sold for a record price of $210k.  Not sure what to think of it because it had a lot of head scratchers and controversy behind it.  Looking at the bid history, ALL bids took place during the first day ONLY in just under an hour!  There were 0 bids thereafter.. 

Also, the reserve was set at either $200k or $210k which is higher than the last recorded highest sale of a 9.4 copy just earlier this year.  After some little digging up that I've done, the owner who had this copy supposedly sold (or maybe he didn't sell it as it is shown as "pending") this book sometime last month.  I don't really know what to make of it, but the turn of events just seems odd...  hm

On 8/31/2022 at 7:53 PM, Dark Knight said:

Looking at the bid history, ALL bids took place during the first day ONLY in just under an hour!  There were 0 bids thereafter.. 

:shiftyeyes:  hm

Yup. Totally legit.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 8/31/2022 at 2:53 PM, Dark Knight said:

Well, the FF #5 CGC 9.4 sold for a record price of $210k.  Not sure what to think of it because it had a lot of head scratchers and controversy behind it.  Looking at the bid history, ALL bids took place during the first day ONLY in just under an hour!  There were 0 bids thereafter.. 

Also, the reserve was set at either $200k or $210k which is higher than the last recorded highest sale of a 9.4 copy just earlier this year.  After some little digging up that I've done, the owner who had this copy supposedly sold (or maybe he didn't sell it as it is shown as "pending") this book sometime last month.  I don't really know what to make of it, but the turn of events just seems odd...  hm

Shill bidding in an online auction is a federal crime; it's considered wire fraud. If you believe that has occurred, you can report it to:

Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center IC3

If you were a bidder on the idea, then you can probably be considered a victim. If not, then you might not have legal standing to file a complaint.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:29 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Shill bidding in an online auction is a federal crime; it's considered wire fraud. If you believe that has occurred, you can report it to:

If you were a bidder on the idea, then you can probably be considered a victim. If not, then you might not have legal standing to file a complaint.

All my bids were placed beautifully. Many people commented nice things about my bids.  No one has ever bid like me in, perhaps, the history of bidding.... :shiftyeyes:

On 8/31/2022 at 3:34 PM, Professor K said:

Actually a pretty good buyer friendly price on the 5.5 white even without the 7.5 sale. 

On paper sure but the FBI probably would want nothing to do with it. Too tough to prove. Good info though. 

People have been prosecuted for it. A guy went to prison for shill bidding on baseball cards on eBay. I read about that in a news article; that's how I learned that shill bidding in an online auction is a felony.

On 8/31/2022 at 3:29 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I clicked on the link now there's a bunch of black Chevy Tahoe's parked outside my house. 

On 8/31/2022 at 12:29 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I wasn't a bidder at all.  Even if say I was interested in bidding, just by looking at the bid history is already fishy enough for me and would steer me away from bidding. Also, I do not have any hard evidence that shilling was involved.  That's something CL would know more about if ever.   

On 8/31/2022 at 2:20 PM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 8/31/2022 at 12:34 PM, Professor K said:

Actually a pretty good buyer friendly price on the 5.5 white even without the 7.5 sale. 

On paper sure but the FBI probably would want nothing to do with it. Too tough to prove. Good info though. 

People have been prosecuted for it. A guy went to prison for shill bidding on baseball cards on eBay. I read about that in a news article; that's how I learned that shill bidding in an online auction is a felony.

Is that the story regarding the ebay auction house PWCC where supposedly the owner of PWCC and the consignor of the baseball cards had talks about shilling up the owner's cards?  I believe the authorities were looking at this case last I checked (this was probably 2-3 years ago now), but never found out what happened after.  

On 8/31/2022 at 6:02 PM, Dark Knight said:

Is that the story regarding the ebay auction house PWCC where supposedly the owner of PWCC and the consignor of the baseball cards had talks about shilling up the owner's cards?  I believe the authorities were looking at this case last I checked (this was probably 2-3 years ago now), but never found out what happened after.  

No, this was back in 2016.

The guy got 5 years in federal prison, so he's probably out now.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2016/02/09/auctioneer-gets-nearly-5-years-shill-bidding/

On 8/31/2022 at 3:04 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2016/02/09/auctioneer-gets-nearly-5-years-shill-bidding/

Yeah I did hear about that one.  One of the latest ones involves PWCC, no wonder they don't sell on ebay anymore

On 8/31/2022 at 6:04 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Glad to see there was actual jail time involved for both of them. 

On 8/31/2022 at 11:27 PM, Forbush-Man said:

I just looked at the history, the book went from $0 to $210,000.00 in under 1 hour.

and then not a single bid after for the next 10 days until the end. Yup, your typical auction bidding pattern. :shiftyeyes:

Wonder who won, left mouse or right mouse.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 8/31/2022 at 8:51 PM, szav said:

The FF4 #5 CGC 9.0 went for 120k, with much of the run up in the last day.  The price on the 9.4 looks better than that one.

I wouldn’t assume corruption because the 9.4 was won on day one.  I’ve won lower value books like that with my day one bids being my max bids.  Granted I don’t bid like that often anymore, but early on I was that aggressive.

I think sometimes 2 crazies just drop their nukes right from the start.

To think i paid 12 cents for my copy back then blows ones mind :cry:

On 8/31/2022 at 8:51 PM, szav said:

The FF4 #5 CGC 9.0 went for 120k, with much of the run up in the last day.  The price on the 9.4 looks better than that one.

I wouldn’t assume corruption because the 9.4 was won on day one.  I’ve won lower value books like that with my day one bids being my max bids.  Granted I don’t bid like that often anymore, but early on I was that aggressive.

I think sometimes 2 crazies just drop their nukes right from the start.

yeah.  one guy drops his bomb at 200K as the max he will pay expecting to win at 150K+. Shows up as a current bid of $1.  Another guy also throws up a similar win at all costs bid that's higher than 200 bringing it to 210K.  First guy says  "whulp, Im done" and goes away figuring he wanted to pay UP to 200K, but not battle it out with someone far more eager.  So its probably true that the first guy is relieved, and that the winner is crying now, hoping he'd get outbid cause he didnt expect to win it at his max bid either. 

Its possible right?  or maybe just a shill bid reserve,  Who can find say?