• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Watterson aka Sam Watterson Calvin and Hobbes original art
6 6

214 posts in this topic

I think the only cringe factor is that the gift was personalized. It would be easier for me to sell a Rolex that Watterson gifted me then a C&H that he personalized to me.
But the overriding factor is ownership. If it's mine I can do whatever I want with it.

As for gifting… the strip just listed on HA was personalized to Lee. Is that Lee Salem? 
(Edit: I read the description on HA and it is Lee Salem.) 

From my position that is double star power in the C&H universe. Sure Garry T was a big name but he was outside the lore and legend of Bill Watterson. 

my estimate is it will crest over $500k without BP.

Who else wants to stake their guesstimate? 

ED5F750E-C52C-4A33-B302-2DF8A92C9FDB.png

Edited by Robservations247
(Edit: I read the description on HA and it is Lee Salem)

On 9/28/2022 at 12:05 PM, Robservations247 said:

As for gifting… the strip just listed on HA was personalized to Lee. Is that Lee Salem? 

From my position that is double star power in the C&H universe. Sure Garry T was a big name but he was outside the lore and legend of Bill Watterson. 

my estimate is it will crest over $500k without BP.

Who else wants to stake their guesstimate? 

ED5F750E-C52C-4A33-B302-2DF8A92C9FDB.png

If it is Lee that would be meaningful. But I don't think the fact that the page is personalized is nearly as meaningful as the quality of content on the Sunday + color. That's what's going to drive it to a new high.

If you're right that purchase 🔨 would blow past the Peanuts Sunday of $300+. That's where I see this one going. $350+ $70 juice $$420,000.

+500 or 600k would be something but Idk.

I love the strip so much that if I had the money I would consider breaching that mark  to get it. I don't have the 💰 but somebody does. Will they spend it?

what is going to happen to all the watterson original art when he passes away? will his family also refuse to ever sell them, despite an incredibly lucrative payday? 

otherwise, someone will have to do a lot of work to make sure the market only gets them in small doses. these prices seem directly related to the rarity of his work being available for purchase, right? he's great and everything, but this level seems absurd compared to something globally iconic like peanuts. 

On 10/1/2022 at 5:30 AM, alexgross.com said:

what is going to happen to all the watterson original art when he passes away?

... and what will be the condition, because, maybe I mistake but if I remember correctly, Watterson himself told it was difficult to find a original in good condition in all the strips that had been returned to him by the publisher.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, alexgross.com said:

what is going to happen to all the watterson original art when he passes away? will his family also refuse to ever sell them, despite an incredibly lucrative payday? 

otherwise, someone will have to do a lot of work to make sure the market only gets them in small doses. these prices seem directly related to the rarity of his work being available for purchase, right? he's great and everything, but this level seems absurd compared to something globally iconic like peanuts. 

His art has already been promised to Ohio University, IIRC. Regardless, the market won't ever be flooded with his originals.

On 10/1/2022 at 1:36 AM, bernoulli said:

His art has already been promised to Ohio University, IIRC. Regardless, the market won't ever be flooded with his originals.

Yes, I’ve been made to understand Watterson has taken steps to insure his art will not come to market 

On 10/1/2022 at 2:36 AM, bernoulli said:

I’ve looked for it on their website but I know Bill Watterson placed his entire collection on deposit there. 

Exploring Calvin and Hobbes 

On 10/2/2022 at 7:31 PM, Robservations247 said:

I’ve looked for it on their website but I know Bill Watterson placed his entire collection on deposit there. 

Exploring Calvin and Hobbes 

That is a wonderful read of Watterson’s background, and explains some of the recurring themes in C & H

On 10/8/2022 at 5:31 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

At NYCC for $400k. This comes courtesy of @Sqeggs

83F90BE2-E41F-4A98-B767-1A2A204DE8AC.jpeg

Well, a pre-auction estimate of $400k plus. On the Felix podcast, didn't Jim Halperin say they tended to lowball their estimates?

Enjoyed seeing the photo. Thanks!

On 10/9/2022 at 7:47 PM, Mighty Hal said:

Well, a pre-auction estimate of $400k plus. On the Felix podcast, didn't Jim Halperin say they tended to lowball their estimates?

Almost every auction house that provides estimates lowballs them.

Given that a C&H daily just sold for $200k, I think a $400k estimate for a Sunday is definitely lowballing.