• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Watterson aka Sam Watterson Calvin and Hobbes original art
6 6

214 posts in this topic

@grapeapethis is actually the second time around for this piece. And I agree with your sentiments exactly: why would Trudeau part with such a wonderful piece, and how must it make Watterson feel? I can only imagine that Trudeau has too much “stuff” in his life and is trying to lighten his load. And  Watterson I doubt keeps up with the (tiny) secondary market for his stuff.  Bottom line, I think the piece is more valued by us nerds than by them.  Anyway, as you can see, this piece went for $100k a couple years ago, and probably more today. The fact that it’s been colored makes this more valuable, at least to me.

6C7BF02D-3A56-4DC7-A654-78EA04A118B3.jpeg

On 8/21/2022 at 10:00 PM, tth2 said:

I predict the piece will set a new record for a public C&H sale, despite the impending OA market armageddon.

This sets a new record for this piece, and we haven’t even gotten to the live bidding yet. You’ve reassured us several times that the sky is not falling, and clearly there’s no Armageddon on Watterson 

E9D37768-7204-4A29-8CAC-25421191F02B.png

On 9/8/2022 at 10:10 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This is equally mind blowing. 

BDE1858B-FB2D-4B4E-9894-6A1F11E6A057.jpeg

It’s difficult for me to imagine paying real money for a print.    But then I guess there are folks for whom 20k isn’t real money.   Or perhaps those who have a better opinion of prints.    

Maybe the prints do well because there is so little artwork out there for people to buy, I suppose.

Edited by Bronty

On 9/8/2022 at 1:26 PM, szav said:

216k, that’s like 300-400 Garfields worth of money.

I'd rather have the garfields!    For real!   300-400 examples is nothing to sneeze at.     I like the upside and liquidity on 300-400 garfields better than I do on a single C&H.

Alright, so you won't get the high fives from the art bros for 400 garfields, but to be honest.... they were both popular strips.    I'd rather have 400 than 1.    The popularity of the strips is not so disparate so as to sustain that ratio in the long term IMO.   The C&H will always be more valuable, but 400:1?   Seems steep, and 200k+ is getting to the point where it gets harder to the piece to appreciate as quickly due to the size of the check that needs to be written.    

Edited by Bronty

On 9/9/2022 at 9:49 PM, Bronty said:
On 9/9/2022 at 1:26 AM, szav said:

216k, that’s like 300-400 Garfields worth of money.

I'd rather have the garfields! 

I could keep inserting :screwy: for the rest of the day and there still wouldn't be enough!

Edited by tth2

On 9/28/2022 at 1:51 AM, Pickie said:

Wow. A full Sunday strip, colorized!!

:x

On 9/28/2022 at 8:11 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 9/28/2022 at 2:51 PM, Pickie said:

Wow. A full Sunday strip, colorized!!

:x

Thank god The Great Crash will be hitting in November, so I'll be able to win this for loose change! :acclaim:

On 9/28/2022 at 8:33 AM, tth2 said:

Thank god The Great Crash will be hitting in November, so I'll be able to win this for loose change! :acclaim:

My guess would be $300-$400k. Like you I believe there are certain items that will transcend the “great crash”. Mid-level midgrades non-key non- classic covers may be affected, but that is not this

E48C8614-3504-4694-8212-E1C8FC69A48B.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 9/28/2022 at 10:16 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

My guess would be $300-$400k.

If a daily just went for $216k, then this Sunday should go for well over double.  Just by being a Sunday it should be at least double, and then add in a premium on top for it being an early Sunday with some iconic images.

On 8/23/2022 at 2:12 AM, grapeape said:

I dream up an imaginary situation where Todd McFarlane gifts a splash page McSpidey to a fellow artist of high regard and stature. And years later Todd sees a Heritage Brochure with that gift art for sale.

I’m guessing if in the description it didn’t read “all proceeds go to charity” McFarlane might be sorely chapped.

Again I know not the situation here so this all tongue and cheek. Of course in the end if you own it you can do as you like.

I don't know how many people subscribe to this philosophy (my wife doesn't) but I look at it as a gift is a gift, and the recipient can do whatever they want with it. I don't view it as anything other than that, and the thought of the gift generally ends after I give it. From a early age I had been given gifts and beat over the head with being reminded about them - enough times that it molded a belief that I'm not going to do that to someone, or even care about it after I give it.

However, I have never given a gift that, in turn, was sold for $100k. But I'd like to think that I still wouldn't care either way.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:53 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I don't know how many people subscribe to this philosophy (my wife doesn't) but I look at it as a gift is a gift, and the recipient can do whatever they want with it. I don't view it as anything other than that, and the thought of the gift generally ends after I give it. From a early age I had been given gifts and beat over the head with being reminded about them - enough times that it molded a belief that I'm not going to do that to someone, or even care about it after I give it.

However, I have never given a gift that, in turn, was sold for $100k. But I'd like to think that I still wouldn't care either way.

agreed.    Even in this situation, at the time of the gift, it was a nice gift, but not a six figure gift.    Its not really anyone's fault that the value shot up; it just happened.   

At the end of the day though, its like you said, a gift is a gift.     Don't want the property sold by the owner?    Don't gift it then.