• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The growing dilemma, where best to buy comics?
4 4

108 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It hit hard today. As much as I miss my comic and junk shows and my buddies, they will be back as soon as this mess is over. Right now there are bigger fish to fry other than comic books...

Yes, things should come back just fine.  But I must admit that reading some middle school kids are starting to refer to the Covid-19 coronavirus as “boomer remover” is just a trifle unsettling.  :fear: 

Many kids are stupid. My 32 year old nephew called me “irrelevant” recently. The kid I turned to rock ‘n roll and helped him build his basket case ‘58 Harley. Real sad. We used to be pretty tight. I always respected and listen to people older than me. I didn’t always take their advice (usually mistakenly) but I knew they had been around longer than me and knew more than I did. 

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Many kids are stupid. My 32 year old nephew called me “irrelevant” recently. The kid I turned to rock ‘n roll and helped him build his basket case ‘58 Harley. Real sad. We used to be pretty tight. I always respected and listen to people older than me. I didn’t always take their advice (usually mistakenly) but I knew they had been around longer than me and knew more than I did. 

Hopefully your relationship can be repaired. 

I'm 37, and though I was never intentionally disrespectful, I certainly lived much of life thinking I knew everything. Kids and career have humbled me. I find myself texting my dad and saying, "gee, remember when you told me X and I did Y?  Man, you were right!" 

I think my generation takes longer to grow up.  Hopefully some maturity will help the situation. 

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Agree.  Free stuff owed are we.

4 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Hopefully your relationship can be repaired. 

I'm 37, and though I was never intentionally disrespectful, I certainly lived much of life thinking I knew everything. Kids and career have humbled me. I find myself texting my dad and saying, "gee, remember when you told me X and I did Y?  Man, you were right!" 

I think my generation takes longer to grow up.  Hopefully some maturity will help the situation. 

I doubt it. He comes from a broken home, and served in Iraq. He went from a cool friendly kid to an angry, bitter person. He is now a super right wing militant survivalist person. If you try to have a calm discussion with him and disagree with him, he becomes angry, almost violent. He bought some land out in the desert and wants nothing to do with most of us. Real sad broke my sister’s heart. He might grow up someday but I probably won’t be around to see it.

I was very liberal with my two daughters but had some hard and fast rules. They didn’t like it much at the time but we are cool now. Maturity comes to most people but some are just to far gone. 

On 3/13/2020 at 9:26 AM, Robot Man said:

I remember way back when I first graduated college and was looking for a job.  I met a guy about 30years older than me who was retired from the Air Force.  He took a liking to me and actually got me my first job.  I started hanging out with him and learned so much.  As soon as I started my first job he said "so when are you starting your Master's degree".  I hadn't even thought about it but I went and registered for college and started back to school while I worked.  He said how much you saving from each check, so I started the company 401k.  He said never buy anything on credit.  If you cant pay cash, you are ready to buy it.  Definitely made a huge change in my life.

On 3/14/2020 at 2:43 PM, batman_fan said:

I remember way back when I first graduated college and was looking for a job.  I met a guy about 30years older than me who was retired from the Air Force.  He took a liking to me and actually got me my first job.  I started hanging out with him and learned so much.  As soon as I started my first job he said "so when are you starting your Master's degree".  I hadn't even thought about it but I went and registered for college and started back to school while I worked.  He said how much you saving from each check, so I started the company 401k.  He said never buy anything on credit.  If you cant pay cash, you are ready to buy it.  Definitely made a huge change in my life.

Good advice is timeless and mentoring has value beyond measure.

Edit: Before anyone asks,...NO, I don’t work in the fortune cookie business!  :facepalm:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Upon consideration...

This thread needs a bump ...  :bump:

My thoughts on buying direct from dealers and collectors on the board has been a very positive experience overall.  Auctions are fine, but there’s always a feeling of artificial price fixing circling around the process.  I’d rather negotiate with a reputable dealer any day than get stuck on an auction treadmill with a stubborn determined bidder and juiced scans I can’t trust.  Given the coronavirus scare collecting strategies are bound to change somewhat.  Anyone else prefer dealing direct with specific boardies as opposed to the big auctions?

The best places to buy comics are, as always, senior community centers. Just look for widows in their 80s or early 90s and say, "Hey grandma, did your late husband happen to leave any old comic books lying around the house? Yeah? I'll give you full price for themten cents apiece!" You could pretend to make friends with the little old ladies firstthat helps. (I mean, that's how guys like Ernie Gerber and Jay Maybruck do it, right?)

Edited by jimbo_7071

8 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

This thread needs a bump ...  :bump:

My thoughts on buying direct from dealers and collectors on the board has been a very positive experience overall.  Auctions are fine, but there’s always a feeling of artificial price fixing circling around the process.  I’d rather negotiate with a reputable dealer any day than get stuck on an auction treadmill with a stubborn determined bidder and juiced scans I can’t trust.  Given the coronavirus scare collecting strategies are bound to change somewhat.  Anyone else prefer dealing direct with specific boardies as opposed to the big auctions?

Seems like most of my purchases come from here. Straight up grades and prices. No messing around with the unknown. There are more things posted here than I can afford anyway. Plus, you are dealing with fellow collectors and people you trust and like. 

Tip one up today, Cat. Even though we can’t go out and raise a ruckus, it’s St Patrick’s Day!

On 3/14/2020 at 6:47 AM, KCOComics said:

Kids and career have humbled me. I find myself texting my dad and saying, "gee, remember when you told me X and I did Y?  Man, you were right!"

This is so true. I remember, as a teenager, thinking that my parents were the stupidest people on earth. After we had kids of our own, I realized that both my Mom and Dad were "pretty sharp cookies."

On 3/17/2020 at 3:19 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

This is so true. I remember, as a teenager, thinking that my parents were the stupidest people on earth. After we had kids of our own, I realized that both my Mom and Dad were "pretty sharp cookies."

I think that's why mom was always saying "Don't run with cookies in your hand" ...wait a minute, maybe it was scissors.  hm

I like the concept of selling and buying on the boards.  I have picked up and sold several items.  I am gearing up for a big sales thread in the future (likely wait until after we are past this virus stuff).  The great thing about selling on the boards is no charge except maybe paypal so you can discount stuff over what items sold for the auction sites.

I sell a fair amount of comics here on the boards. More than any other venue. Fast, easy and dealing with mostly other collectors. A great place to deal with reliable and honest sellers and buyers at straight up fixed prices. I have never had a problem with anyone here as a buyer or a seller.

I think I might have a few more sales pretty soon. I’ve got a lot of time on my hands lately. Might be fun to keep me busy and keep my mind off what is going on. 

Probably cool lower priced stuff. Money is tight but our passion is still there. Nice to know you have a package coming to brighten up your day.