• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KEY books that are KEY books SOLELY because of cover no other reason KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY!!
7 7

403 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, silversufer27 said:

silver surfer 4 fantastic four 72 batman 608 2nd print killing joke 1 dark knight returns asm 301 hulk 340 are some that come to my mind

??? None of those qualify as issues that are only valuable for their covers.

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:
4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Isn't that the first time Thor and SS meet? I feel like that adds to it beyond just the cover...

Is the book really that special without the cover though?  A first time meetup between 2 heroes doesn't quadruple the price over the other issues.

The cover may be a significant factor in driving the value, but it's not the only factor.

42 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

Any Joker appearance after Batman 1 especially 880

hm I'm pretty sure their value comes from the appearance of Batman's top villain rather than the covers. At least for most of them.

3 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Or pretty much any romance comic with a Matt Baker cover.

3 hours ago, Hudson said:

Giant Comic Edition #12.

(thumbsu

You Baker haters.  :makepoint:  Open a copy of one of those romance books and take a peek at the lovely interiors.  Many of those stories are terrific too.

I guess you might say Giant 12 is primarily valuable due to the cover, but since each one is composed of returned copies of other St John issues - who can say if the interiors don't play a role?

1 minute ago, Keys_Collector said:

Why not?  Batman 251 and ASM 33 are outliers in pricing due to their cover, not the story, character appearances or anything along those lines.

Batman 251 is the return of the psychotic murderer (after many years of the goofy clown) and ASM 33 is (the final) part of a classic story.

6 minutes ago, Yorick said:

You Baker haters.  :makepoint:  Open a copy of one of those romance books and take a peek at the lovely interiors.  Many of those stories are terrific too.

I guess you might say Giant 12 is primarily valuable due to the cover, but since each one is composed of returned copies of other St John issues - who can say if the interiors don't play a role?

Hate Baker???? Not a chance.  Just the opposite.  Baker (with his awesome covers) perhaps put romance comics on the map.  Without his covers, I would venture to think many romance comics might still be relegated to the dollar bin.

7 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

All variants...?

Assuming you actually mean all modern incentive variants with alternate cover art, most of them are nothing special and just the rarity, in and of itself, can be a significant driver of value for at least some of them.

2 hours ago, kav said:

I was just saying 222 due to the cover is worth more than 221 or 223.  Its more desired due to iconic cover.

Ohhh I misunderstood it then... yeah but that’s a Beatles story in disguise - it gets the bump because of the story... same way the LOST Marvel Tales book gets a bump due to it being LoST related 

3 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Since someone was kind enough to bring up Baker, I would hazard a guess that this book might be worth a dollar or two more than the 24 or 26.  IDK....

1179157066_JoJo25groupof10(3).thumb.jpg.6f679699e955c479780f9a287f70ee00.jpg

That is why collectors have a tough time finding one Rich lol

Edited by comicjack

19 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:
47 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Batman 251 is the return of the psychotic murderer (after many years of the goofy clown) and ASM 33 is (the final) part of a classic story.

No one is buying those books for those reasons.

I have heard/seen maaannny times (and many more times than about the story) how those covers are classic.  I don't doubt that ASM 33 gets a push for the story, but the greatness of the cover is always talked about.  And, the notations on the cgc label say "joker appearance" and "classic cover". 

Edited by Spidey 62