• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, piper said:

Anyone notice any extreme flight discounts/sales yet?

United has cancelled 10% of its domestic flights.  So the strategy seems to be to cut flights, not try to entice people to fly.  Probably smart choice.

With cases growing in the New York City are, and East Coast Comic Con two months away, probably safe to put it on the clock as well.  Might be a good year to just save up and get ready for the sweet deals on books next year.  Or late this year if the big shows then go on as planned.

57 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I wonder if Toronto comicon will suffer the same fate as I just read that the one person returning from Iran to Toronto took the TTC (bus) for 3 days while infected... :facepalm:

latest case out of Toronto was person coming from Vegas with no other travel history.  This will get bigger no matter how much Trump tries to say otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

I hope they don't cancel Wonder con on April here in LA 4th that would be a bummer

I’m thinking the same thing Pablo. I know already 4 of my favorite dealers will be a no show already. I was planning to drop off some books with CGC and they might not attend. Easter weekend and this virus might just squash it. The con has not posted their exhibitors either. I have not bought my ticket and am still on the fence. I think this will get worse before it gets better. Really suks. 

I’m sure Harley will be there in his hazmat suit...:roflmao:

Might have to wait until Torpedo in July, if we are all still here...

Edited by Robot Man

26 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

I hope they don't cancel Wonder con on April here in LA 4th that would be a bummer

Was thinking that too. It also falls on Easter weekend so I predict attendance wouldn't be busy 

Not a comic con, but related:

Museum Closure Notification 
March 6–8, 2020

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpr.ak.vresp.com%2F4f6834977%2Fmarketing.wdfmuseum.org%2Fwdfm-newsletter%2Fbase-art%2Fs.gif&t=1583527966&ymreqid=caea9820-1135-888d-1cbf-010048018f00&sig=YJKwQeZcEWzzPLDoLENDig--~C
Due to growing concerns about COVID-19, The Walt Disney Family Museum will be closed through Sunday, March 8, 2020 to conduct a deep cleaning and sanitation of all museum spaces and add further protocols and precautions.

All programming during this time period will be canceled or rescheduled. Communication to ticket holders regarding refunds will be forthcoming.

“I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, but the health and well-being of our guests, staff, and community are our primary concern,” said Executive Director Kirsten Komoroske. “We thank everyone for your support of the museum during this time, and we send you and your families our best wishes.”

We encourage visitors to review the CDC-issued guidelines and the CDC’s travel alert listrelated to COVID-19.

Any crowd oriented venues, including movie theaters are going to be decimated over the next couple of months. Restaurants are going to take a hit as well, though people do have to eat. 

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

Any crowd oriented venues, including movie theaters are going to be decimated over the next couple of months. Restaurants are going to take a hit as well, though people do have to eat. 

yep. the economy is about to get smacked hard

54 minutes ago, Steelrain41 said:

Your looking at this wrong, the Coronavirus has opened a whole new spec market....

FB_IMG_1583356367280.jpg

That stuff is like gold here. Nobody has it. Saw 4 bottles at the gas station today. I bought all 4 of them. 

Purell is going to do real well during this...

Wonder what a roll of toilet paper will go for on eBay soon?

Edited by Robot Man

3 hours ago, speedcake said:

yep. the economy is about to get smacked hard

Yes. Either an alien invasion (which is what I predicted at the end of last year) or a pandemic. The drastic choices necessary to resolve a dilemma were limited. Even in full panic, stampede mode, at some point, someone might have looked up or behind to see what they were running from, maybe in search of a spaceship or alien with a ray gun, and noted none to be found, then stopped running. You can't see a virus. Problem solved! :whee:

Sergio Aragones doesn't appear to be attending the SDCF rigbt now, but is scheduled. I haven't personally heard why he isn't showing.

Marv Wolfman and many others aren't shaking hands (politely- Lots of elbow touching among the attending creators).

Marv asks fans to open the book for Splash Page sigs, handles cash with tissues, and will only use his own pens. He's very apologetic about it.

13 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?

Well, I have not been convicted for all my crimes yet..., but I have the sniffles and my butt itches a bit, but otherwise, I'm doing just fine! :banana: 

Thanks for asking!!! :banana::banana: 

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I’m thinking the same thing Pablo. I know already 4 of my favorite dealers will be a no show already. I was planning to drop off some books with CGC and they might not attend. Easter weekend and this virus might just squash it. The con has not posted their exhibitors either. I have not bought my ticket and am still on the fence. I think this will get worse before it gets better. Really suks. 

I’m sure Harley will be there in his hazmat suit...:roflmao:

Might have to wait until Torpedo in July, if we are all still here...

I'm planning to attend WonderCon.  Tickets were bought the day they went on sale.  If nothing else, parking should be a little less hectic.