• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus's impact on the worldwide box office
3 3

572 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2021 at 5:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

I still have 6 (or 8?) Parkhoppers from the 90's that I never used.  They were given as gifts to Castmembers.  I wonder if they are still good. Supposedly they would be honored over the course of my lifetime.  At this point though, I would guess they would deny entry and say that they were outdated. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I am also waiting for them to figure out how to block multiple parties from sharing an account. I don't know who is paying for HBO Max in the family but it is not me. 

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

BTW... I actually enjoyed, "The Little Things" on HBO Max.  It was not something I might have seen in the theaters anyway but it was worth watching. 

The scene with Jared Leto messing with Rami Malek in the desert is classic.

53 minutes ago, D84 said:

The scene with Jared Leto messing with Rami Malek in the desert is classic.

It had it's parallels to a certain other movie that it is naturally being compared to, but it did not go the way I expected and was different enough to be its own thing.  I rather enjoyed it. 

:roflmao: last May; before AMC issued another 300MM shares; although to be fair $8BB is couch cushion $ for AMZN

AMC Entertainment Inc., whose shares are a favorite of Reddit-inspired day traders, jumped on Thursday after the publication of a French translation of a months-old report speculating Amazon.com Inc. would buy the world’s biggest chain of movie theaters.

The article in Forbes France is dated today, but notes at the bottom it’s a translation of a Forbes US piece. The American version was published last May.

28 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Bravo to HBO. Too bad Hollywood and Disney don’t have the balls to go against China. What human rights abuses? Where?
You know why the Red Dawn remake failed? I mean besides the fact that it just sucked. They changed the invading army from China to North Korea. Actually went back in and switched the patches. China was a plausible threat. North Korea can’t even invade South Korea let alone cross the ocean to drop into the US. There will forever only be one Red Dawn.

7422410F-CD8B-4EE0-8638-7406FB5C65CD.jpeg

the answer is always "money"- China BO set to surpass US post pandemic

3 hours ago, Oddball said:

Bravo to HBO. Too bad Hollywood and Disney don’t have the balls to go against China. What human rights abuses? Where?
You know why the Red Dawn remake failed? I mean besides the fact that it just sucked. They changed the invading army from China to North Korea. Actually went back in and switched the patches. China was a plausible threat. North Korea can’t even invade South Korea let alone cross the ocean to drop into the US. There will forever only be one Red Dawn.

7422410F-CD8B-4EE0-8638-7406FB5C65CD.jpeg

Disney/MCU put its feelers out with Iron Man 3 when it partnered with a local marketing company who encouraged them to shoot those extra local actor scenes.

As soon as they saw the huge difference in Chinese box office results between Avengers and Iron Man III by catering to local expectations, they were locked in on that cow udder for life.

DC_MCU_China.png.786535d92fab2f7bad1a0493201307c1.png

Speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecommunications Conference on Monday, Walt Disney Company chief exec Bob Chapek said he’s “not sure there’s going back” to pre-pandemic theatrical windows.

Reiterating the company’s commitment to theatrical releases, Chapek reminded viewers that Disney in 2019 released 11 films that earned at least $1 billion, which “will continue to be a big deal” to the company. But he acknowledged the uncertainty that the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic brings, given how few screens are currently open and moviegoers’ willingness to return to theaters. Those possible changes to consumer behavior are “more profound” to him.

“I think the consumer is probably more impatient than they’ve ever been before,” said Chapek. “Particularly since now they’ve had the luxury of an entire year of getting titles at home pretty much when they want them. So I’m not sure there’s going back, but we certainly don’t want to do anything like cut the legs off a theatrical exhibition run.”

The company will ultimately let consumer behavior guide its decisions on the theatrical windowing front, he said.

San Diego Comic-Con, the largest fan convention in North America, will not be held in person in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, organizers announced on Monday. Instead, the event will be held virtually over three days, from July 23-25.

In addition, Comic-Con International, the organization behind SDCC, is planning an in-person convention in San Diego to be held in November 2021.

“While we are buoyed by the rollout of the vaccine and the growing number of individuals being inoculated, it appears that July will still be too early to safely hold an in-person event of the magnitude of Comic-Con,” organizers said in a statement. “While we lament the postponement of the in-person Comic-Con, our commitment to this community of fans and our celebration of comics and the related popular arts endures as an important part of who we are.”

Both attendees and exhibitors planning to attend SDCC in July will have the option of rolling over to the November 2021 convention or the July 2022 convention. In their announcement, organizers said details on these plans “will be forthcoming.”

The question for SDCC this year is whether the major studios will bring their biggest titles back to the convention, or whether bespoke branded events like DC FanDome and Disney’s D23 Expo — which has already been pushed a year to 2022 — will be more of the norm.

It's hard to undo events like these once the studios (and fans) realize they have an online approach that can reach a much larger audience real-time.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:19 AM, Buzzetta said:

And I will wait for it the same way I waited for Mulan. 

$29.99 is more than taking my 2 kids to my local theatre would cost and that's in NYC. Me and teen would be $8 each and the 9 year old would be $5.

On 2/20/2021 at 4:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

Disney/MCU put its feelers out with Iron Man 3 when it partnered with a local marketing company who encouraged them to shoot those extra local actor scenes.

As soon as they saw the huge difference in Chinese box office results between Avengers and Iron Man III by catering to local expectations, they were locked in on that cow udder for life.

DC_MCU_China.png.786535d92fab2f7bad1a0493201307c1.png

amazing joker did what it did without china. i guess folks in europe each saw it three times to make up for the lost chinese box office

On 1/26/2021 at 3:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

It really is wild.

If WB did this more than a few times via HBO Max, folks would be screaming how they are stealing from moviegoers on a service people are paying to subscribe to. Disney does it, and it is just smart business to recover its costs.

disney is a HUGE ripoff. lack of content. it is insulting. heck, i can't even watch the hulu shows, i have to have hulu and have the ones with commercials because i am not paying the premium for that too. it is absurd that hulu has not been merged into disney+ for what i'm paying. i feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person keeping it, but they have us hooked on a couple of shows. while I appreciate their focus on some premium shows, why on earth can't they also have some lower budget stuff like netflix? some of those shows are entertaining too, you don't need to spend $25 million an episode. the marvel netflix shows cost $3-$3.5 million an episode. wandavision cost as much as ALL of the first season of the netflix shows that came out jessica, luke, daredevil, iron fist, and defenders, and the subscribers paid the price. of course, people keep on paying the subscription fee, so disney has no incentive to getr more content out there.

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

disney is a HUGE ripoff. lack of content. it is insulting. heck, i can't even watch the hulu shows, i have to have hulu and have the ones with commercials because i am not paying the premium for that too. it is absurd that hulu has not been merged into disney+ for what i'm paying. i feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person keeping it, but they have us hooked on a couple of shows. while I appreciate their focus on some premium shows, why on earth can't they also have some lower budget stuff like netflix? some of those shows are entertaining too, you don't need to spend $25 million an episode. the marvel netflix shows cost $3-$3.5 million an episode. wandavision cost as much as ALL of the first season of the netflix shows that came out jessica, luke, daredevil, iron fist, and defenders, and the subscribers paid the price. of course, people keep on paying the subscription fee, so disney has no incentive to getr more content out there.

I don't find myself watching a lot of TV in general but I do feel I am getting my money's worth from Disney+.  There is a lot of deep dives into the network that make it a gratifying platform to subscribe to.  I find myself watching a lot of the extras and documentaries on the vintage stuff actually... when I want to watch something.   I've also enjoyed some of the National Geographic stuff.

Edited by Buzzetta

23 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I don't find myself watching a lot of TV in general but I do feel I am getting my money's worth from Disney+.  There is a lot of deep dives into the network that make it a gratifying platform to subscribe to.  I find myself watching a lot of the extras and documentaries on the vintage stuff actually... when I want to watch something.   I've also enjoyed some of the National Geographic stuff.

If you step back and think about the Disney distribution model over the decades:

1) Many of us already own much of this Disney content due to massively successful marketing (otherwise it would be locked away forever in 'The Vault' (: )

2) Since its launch there really hasn't been a large amount of new Disney content to justify the massive subscription growth (other than via Hulu and ESPN+ ) - other than The Mandalorian and WandaVision

Much of this has been the excitement of all the new content to come, and revisiting movies and TV shows we have dusting up on the shelves or that we sold off years ago.

35 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

it costs about as much as netflix. i watch netflix 10X as much, maybe more.