• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus's impact on the worldwide box office
3 3

572 posts in this topic

According to a new report, after months of movie theater closures due to Covid, the global box office will face a slow, asymmetrical recovery that will likely take years. The international entertainment business was one of the most hard-hit industries throughout the pandemic. Only 34% of media business CEOs felt confident in their companies' potential growth across the following year.

With no choice but to close their doors, movie theaters weren't afforded the luxuries of streaming when mandatory Covid lockdowns were put in place. Streaming, on the other hand, maintained steady growth throughout the pandemic. 2020 was a peak year for services like Disney+, Apple TV, and HBO Max, with the streaming market experiencing a 37% growth. This, in addition to the pandemic, took a significant toll on the box office as movies bypassed theaters in favor of going straight to subscription services.

According to a new report from PricewaterhouseCoopers, per Deadline, theatrical revenue won’t return to 2019 levels until 2024. The entertainment industry experienced a nearly 4% decline in 2020 across every sector, which was the largest drop ever recorded by PwC. Annual growth of 5% is expected by the PwC through 2025. Still, CEOs in the media business aren't entirely optimistic for a quick recovery, as the threat of steaming services continually threatens to take revenue from box office sales. Subscription services are expected to earn over $81.3 billion globally by 2025.

THR understands that the U.K. decision — which comes just two weeks before the official launch — was made by Entertainment due to COVID-19 concerns in the country, which is currently experiencing a surge in infection rates due to the Delta variant of the virus, a situation that has forced several major productions to pause. Exhibitors now fear that it could lead to a flurry of similar moves by distributors.

As it happens, the A24 title isn’t the only film to be pushed from British schedules. THR has also heard that The Duke, Roger Michell’s British comedy-drama starring Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren and Fionn Whitehead that Warner Bros. is distributing in the U.K., has been bumped from its Sept. 3 slot and moved to March/April 2022.

Screw you, COVID!

For those that pretend they are so in the know with studio-theater relationships...

Cinemark Signs New Theatrical Deals With Five Major Studios

Cinemark has reached new agreements with the five major studios that could help formalize a shorter theatrical window.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but it comes as COVID-19 has reshaped the amount of time that films show exclusively on the big screen before making their home entertainment debuts. The company signed a deal with Universal in November that enables the studio to put new movies on premium video-on-demand platforms 17 days after they open in theaters. Films that generate at least $50 million in opening weekend ticket sales, however, must play exclusively in theaters for 31 days, or five full weekends, the companies said at the time.

Cinemark said it now has agreements with Warner Bros. Picture Group, The Walt Disney Company, Paramount Pictures and Sony Pictures Entertainment.

“Cinemark is thrilled to have reached new agreements with our major studio partners, and we are eager to continue providing movie fans an immersive, larger-than-life cinematic environment to see major upcoming films, ranging from the biggest blockbusters to specialty fare to family-friendly content,” said Cinemark CEO Mark Zoradi. “In our ongoing efforts to maximize attendance and box office during the pandemic and beyond, our goal is to provide the widest range of content with terms that are in the best long-term interests of Cinemark, our studio partners and moviegoers. We are pleased with these recent developments and are confident we are taking positive steps toward reigniting theatrical exhibition and evolving the industry for a post-pandemic landscape.”

Whatever terms were agree to between studios and Cinemark, what they do reveal are the more market-facing content to make it sound positive. Behind the scenes, there are restrictions based on box office opening weekend amounts for these terms to be applicable and other disclaimers unique to each studio. Those we won't get access to.

Edited by Bosco685

I'm wondering if Disney is going to push back Eternals again. 

The Walt Disney Company is requiring that their salaried and non-union U.S. employees get vaccinated before returning to work.

“At The Walt Disney Company, the safety and well-being of our employees during the pandemic has been and continues to be a top priority,” the company said in a statement. “Toward that end, and based on the latest recommendations of scientists, health officials and our own medical professionals that the COVID-19 vaccine provides the best protection against severe infection, we are requiring that all salaried and non-union hourly employees in the U.S. working at any of our sites be fully vaccinated. Employees who aren’t already vaccinated and are working on-site will have 60 days from today to complete their protocols and any employees still working from home will need to provide verification of vaccination prior to their return, with certain limited exceptions. We have also begun conversations around this topic with the unions representing our employees under collective bargaining agreements. In addition, all new hires will be required to be fully vaccinated before beginning employment. Vaccines are the best tool we all have to help control this global pandemic and protect our employees.”

On 8/1/2021 at 11:45 PM, D84 said:

Would we even notice?

Harsh but true. I'm only interested in it because I'm a huge fan of Richard Madden, and I'm thrilled to see him join the MCU. Granted, I'd have preferred him as a more mainstream character, but it is what it is. 

The results of a late July poll on moviegoing confidence levels were alarming. The National Research Group survey, closely watched by studios, showed that the overall comfort level had tumbled from a pandemic-era high of 81 percent to 72 percent in the span of just three weeks amid the delta variant. Moms appeared to be the most concerned about taking a trip to the multiplex, with their comfort index tumbling from 75 percent to 59 percent.

AMC Theatres has reached a formal agreement with Warner Bros. to show the studio’s 2022 slate on the big screen for an exclusive 45-day window.

The news is not surprising, because Warner Bros. has had a similar plan in place with Cineworld, the owner of Regal Cinemas, since April. However, the announcement is comforting to film operators, who feared the pandemic would spell the end of the theatrical window, the period time in which movies are only available in theaters. Many of the biggest movies released since the onset of COVID-19 premiered simultaneously on streaming services, such as HBO Max and Disney Plus, which is a deviation from pre-plague times.

In the company’s quarterly earnings call, AMC announced by the end of the year, it will accept bitcoin payments for tickets and concessions. The company is also building the technology to accept Apple Pay and Google Pay by 2022.

There is a rumor floating about that the reason that Disney / Sony has not released a Spider-man 3 Trailer is because they are considering pushing the movie back.   

Venom 2's international release date was pushed back and supposedly there are more announcements to follow. 

We shall see.

Um btw... Whatever happened with Morbius?  At this point I really don't care about this film unless Michael Keaton is reprising the Vulture role. 

On 7/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, Bosco685 said:

For those that pretend they are so in the know with studio-theater relationships...

Cinemark Signs New Theatrical Deals With Five Major Studios

Whatever terms were agree to between studios and Cinemark, what they do reveal are the more market-facing content to make it sound positive. Behind the scenes, there are restrictions based on box office opening weekend amounts for these terms to be applicable and other disclaimers unique to each studio. Those we won't get access to.

Dunno... It's a bandaid and maybe I am using too much of my upbringing here to form my belief here. 

When we wanted to see a movie, how many of our parents told us, "No, you can wait and rent it from blockbuster?"

Any time they shorten or allow for the shortening of the theatrical run I believe it conditions the public to wait for it on cable, streaming, or hard copy home media. 

I toyed with the idea of 'renting' Black Widow, but I can wait until October.  I think I will be okay and spend that $30 elsewhere.   However, I did almost buy early access to Jungle Cruise the other evening. 

Here is my question though, what is the long term impact of Disney's film divisions when you have a Disney+ where you know that any Marvel, Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, or other similar property will land on the streaming network in a manner of months?  

On 8/10/2021 at 7:10 AM, Bosco685 said:

It is nuts how fast it just - disappeared

Do you have any more information on the deal that Sony reportedly made with Disney in regard to bringing some of their movies to Disney+ ?  At this point despite it having a release date it could be something that could be pulled to make way for all of these delayed movies and be a tentpole release for the debut of the partnership. 

On 8/10/2021 at 7:11 AM, Buzzetta said:

Dunno... It's a bandaid and maybe I am using too much of my upbringing here to form my belief here. 

When we wanted to see a movie, how many of our parents told us, "No, you can wait and rent it from blockbuster?"

Any time they shorten or allow for the shortening of the theatrical run I believe it conditions the public to wait for it on cable, streaming, or hard copy home media. 

I toyed with the idea of 'renting' Black Widow, but I can wait until October.  I think I will be okay and spend that $30 elsewhere.   However, I did almost buy early access to Jungle Cruise the other evening. 

Here is my question though, what is the long term impact of Disney's film divisions when you have a Disney+ where you know that any Marvel, Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, or other similar property will land on the streaming network in a manner of months?  

Or 'months' turning into only two-three months - not many months?

It's conditioning. And after a while we all will assume, "Why bother - won't it be free soon?"

On 8/10/2021 at 7:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

Or 'months' turning into only two-three months - not many months?

It's conditioning. And after a while we all will assume, "Why bother - won't it be free soon?"

And let's not forget the sites that stream the movies for free.  With early access people are simply recording them off of Disney+ and other streaming VOD sites using basic screen recording software.

Which is kind of how I am watching a perfect copy of Black Widow right now as I type. (shrug)